This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A couple of questions i have about trapsins

#1LithiusPosted 8/26/2011 1:33:12 AM
I have a level 26 trapsin and I want to prepare for hell difficulty as early as possible. I have never played a trapsin before. My main concern is against lightning immune enemies. I used to play Diablo 2 with Eastern Sun and I remember there being Barb mercs that used warcries that increased all skills. Is this something that was added with Eastern Sun, or something that is in the normal game? Either way which is the preferred merc for trapsin? My other question is whether or not it's worth getting more than 1 point in fireblast to help deal with lightning immunes, or is death sentry and a good merc enough to deal with them? I was also curious if it was worth putting a point into shadow warrior and master. In Eastern Sun I remember them being great, but I don't know about them in the normal game. Thank you all for your time and help!
---
hiss hiss
#2TravelingJackPosted 8/26/2011 1:35:36 AM

Barb mercs that used warcries that increased all skills.

Yeah, that's not vanilla D2.

which is the preferred merc for trapsin?

Act 2 Town Guard with Infinity.

My other question is whether or not it's worth getting more than 1 point in fireblast to help deal with lightning immunes, or is death sentry and a good merc enough to deal with them?

Fire Blast is a synergy, plus it's good for lightning immunes, so definitely max it.

I was also curious if it was worth putting a point into shadow warrior and master.

I have a one-point Shadow Warrior, she does good at distracting enemies for a few seconds.
---
http://i55.tinypic.com/usi79.jpg
#3Lithius(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2011 2:04:56 AM
Is there a cap of 5 traps being out at once? If so what's the best combination of traps to use? Which is the ideal default aura of the merc to give Infinity to? Thank you all for your time and help.
---
hiss hiss
#4TravelingJackPosted 8/26/2011 2:10:10 AM
I have a Nightmare Offensive merc - He does good damage vs. immunes. Depending in the situation, I usually throw out 4 Lightning Sentries and a Death Sentry, and sometimes 3 and 2. 5 is still the cap, yeah.
---
http://i55.tinypic.com/usi79.jpg
#5red255Posted 8/26/2011 6:48:23 AM
the ideal trap claws can be vendored. from nightmare anya.

+3 traps, +3 fire blast +3 Lightning sentry +3 death sentry. +40 IAS, add 2 sockets and add 2 shimmering jewels of fervor.

alternatively having some + passive skills to save dumping points in could help.

having a wand or dagger with lower resist charges help deal with immunes, as does having infinity. but you do enough fire damage with fire blast that it shouldn't really be a problem.

but the lowered resists help alot vs bosses.

Death sentry does corpse explosion, so its useful on occasions, perhaps the best set of traps is 4 LS 1 DS, but I wouldn't bother microing it, just throw down the DS when you want to corpse explode.
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
#6ximausPosted 8/26/2011 9:17:51 AM
My main concern is against lightning immune enemies.

Max Lightning Sentry, Death Sentry, and Charged Bolt Sentry. Then raise Fire Blast after Charged Bolt Sentry; you should be able to deal ~400 fire damage with Fire Blast before you start Hell. That will be more than enough as Death Sentry will take care of most lightning immunes.

Either way which is the preferred merc for trapsin?

An Act 2 Merc with Insight is the easiest to use (you will need PlugY for SP).
Give that Merc Infinity (assuming you can) if you plan to start boss running in the later stages of the game. Since it seems you play SP, I'm not sure you should expect to ever find the runes for Infinity.

I was also curious if it was worth putting a point into shadow warrior and master.

I generally have a shadow master. I do not cast warrior because her traps override my own. If you plan to use warrior, you need to place a decent number of points into it since her trap skill levels are based on her own skill level and she does not get synergy bonuses. I don't ever want to do that so I just use a master.

If you would prefer to just save the points, you don't need either a master or a warrior but they can be very helpful.
---
The cake was never a lie, it was just poisoned.
#7Lithius(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2011 12:08:39 PM
I'm not single player I'm on USEast ladder.
---
hiss hiss
#8Lithius(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2011 12:49:31 PM
Does might aura affect your trap damage or just physical damage?
---
hiss hiss
#9lookedPosted 8/26/2011 1:47:08 PM
Lithius posted...
Does might aura affect your trap damage or just physical damage?

Might only affectives physical attacks. I personally don't think there is a hands down best of Act 2 mercs, but stay away from holy freeze, because you want the corpses for Death Sentry.

TravelingJack posted...

My other question is whether or not it's worth getting more than 1 point in fireblast to help deal with lightning immunes, or is death sentry and a good merc enough to deal with them?
Fire Blast is a synergy, plus it's good for lightning immunes, so definitely max it.

Fire Blast should be raised last, but whether is should be maxed depends on your +skill level. It's really only a synergy in that it adds an extra shot to Shock Web and Death Sentry for every 3 levels. So level 18, and level 20 are the same thing. You need to make sure your skill level is a factor of 3. The extra 2 points help with damage if you actually use it, but you really don't need it for immunes. Death Sentry should do fine.
---
PSO GCN:Iooked 200 Fonewearl Iooked ver.2 200 Racaseal
PSO DC: Lost Soul 200 Humar PSOBB: The Omen 70 Fonewm
#10ximausPosted 8/26/2011 5:26:25 PM
I'm not single player I'm on USEast ladder.

You mentioned Eastern Sun so I assumed you were playing SP this time around as well.

Fire Blast should be raised last,

Unless he has someone rushing him or he has Infinity ready for him when his merc hits level 63 then it might just be a lot less of a headache to pump FB and leave SW alone. There are so many lightning immunes that, unless he has an Enigma waiting for his Trapsin at level 65, he will need to deal with more than a few of them and FB will be much easier to deal with the occasion than DS.

As well, unless he plans to pvp, he can actually just leave it like that until he gets Infinity as LS and DS are more than powerful enough to take out any and all enemies in the game without the boost from Shock Web. Fire Blast also deals more damage than Shock Web.

If you really want to compare it (assuming ~level 32 traps):
20 points in Shock Web
--------------------------------
5 LS dealing ~3045 damage per hit each
SW dealing ~1275 damage per second

Which is 15225 damage per round of bolts
Plus 1275 damage per second
---Shock Web can only hit the same target once per second.

20 points in Fire Blast
------------------------------
5 LS dealing ~2198 damage per hit each
FB dealing ~2400 damage per hit

Which is 10990 per round of bolts
Plus 6648 damage per second
---FB can hit a max of 2.77 times per second.

They really aren't different enough that you need to stress one over the other.
He can just respec once he gets Infinity if he feels so inclined.
---
The cake was never a lie, it was just poisoned.