This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The best elite shield for paladin?

#1fyli3Posted 3/3/2008 5:32:27 AM
Hi I was just wondering what the best pally sheild is for a smiter. Obviously, I'll put some runes in it. I'm a new starter by the way. So i might use ancient's pledge cause I don't have the fancy stuff yet.

I guess my question is what is the best base sheild. The sacred targe for me has the lowest strength requirement, this bodes well for me as I only plan to put enough in str for equipment. All elite sheilds have the same average smite damage so that's not a factor.

The targe has the lowest defence but highest block rate, what do you think?
#2Incredi_BigmackPosted 3/3/2008 5:56:36 AM
get a 4 sockleted ethereal vortex shield
then put VEX OHM IST DOL in it.

then you will have Exile
make sure the shield has 40+ resists
ir you can get a hoz cause my smiter uses hoz. beter then exile IMO
---
account is deadsouls2 E/NL/SC--talk to me anytime
not changing this until i create the most godly dueler EVAR!
#3thekillerhammerPosted 3/3/2008 6:46:23 AM
go to arreast summit battle.net/diablo2exp look at elite paly shields im guessin the one with lowest str req since max block is easy but an exile is better for pvm and a berd hoz or umd hoz is better for pvp once you get the good gear
---
The only pain that is not overcomeable is love
#4JvstmPosted 3/3/2008 8:12:15 AM
account is deadsouls2 E/NL/SC--talk to me anytime
not changing this until i create the most godly dueler EVAR!

Good luck. Gear me out and I'll beat you with a fire Druid :)
---
The present will pass you if you live in the past. Neither should you wait for the future to find you. -RIP Khalid
#5xPerishPosted 3/3/2008 10:15:49 AM
ST over Vortex
#6LaManoNeraPosted 3/3/2008 2:33:41 PM
I agree with sacred targe. You'll see a definate difference in the minimum damage of all the pally shields.

And it's foolish to stick strictly with Exile. I actually prefer Spirit most of the time.
---
"Where life had no value; death, sometimes, had its price."
For a Few Dollars More
#7XxLobxXPosted 3/3/2008 8:51:59 PM
Use an exile Vortex>Targe any day
afk
#8JvstmPosted 3/3/2008 9:42:26 PM
^^

Then explain.
---
The present will pass you if you live in the past. Neither should you wait for the future to find you. -RIP Khalid
#9Sedated CricketPosted 3/3/2008 10:12:46 PM
My vote goes to Zakarum shield as far as elites go. Has a base smite dmg of 46-46. Vortex is liek 5-85 and Sacred is liek 38-55 or something. With Zakarum, my smite hurts just as much as it did last time and will hurt every other time after again for the same amount.

---
People don't need to explain their opinions to you, and it doesn't diminish the validity of their opinion if they don't ~ Mace22
#10fyli3(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2008 3:38:50 AM
Stats for elite sheilds are:

As you can see, its pretty balanced. Smite damage is the same when averaged. ST has the highest block rate but lowest def while vortex has highest def but lowest block rate. The rest are in between. So they're pretty much the same. The difference for me is ST has by far the lowest str requirement at 86 whilst the vortex shield has str requirement at 146.

Sacred Targe Def 126-158 block rate 60% smite damage 22 to 70

Sacred Rondache Def 138-164 block rate 58% smite damage 35 to 58

Kurast Shield def 154-172 block rate 55% smite damage 10 to 82

Zakarum Shield def 169-193 block rate 52% smite damage 46 to 46

Vortex Shield def 182-225 block rate 51% smite damge 5 to 87