This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which Act 2 merc gives a defensive aura?

#1HikusaiPosted 8/1/2008 4:31:40 PM
I hiered a Defensive one, but he doesnt use any defensive aura. Am I supposed to chose Combat or Offensive if I want that aura?
---
www.rpgdreamersforum.com
#2rkingPosted 8/1/2008 4:34:57 PM
Act 2 Normal or Hell difficulty Defensive mercenary will provide Defiance aura. Act 2 NM difficulty one will provide Holy Freeze. The mercenary won't automatically turn the aura on, he will only do so when he needs to choose an attack. Let him kill stuff and he will activate his aura in a bit. As mercenaries level up, the chances they will activate the aura goes down.
---
I play D2:LoD OFFLINE.
Spellcheck is a gift, embrace it!
#3MegawizardPosted 8/1/2008 4:35:14 PM
Combat (Normal): Prayer
Combat (Nightmare): Thorns
Combat (Hell): Prayer

Defense (Normal): Defiance
Defense (Nightmare): Holy Freeze
Defense (Hell): Defiance

Offense (Normal): Blessed Aim
Offense (Nightmare): Might
Offense (Hell): Blessed Aim

The aura isn't always on. They need to attack things for awhile before they turn it on.
---
<Temporary placeholder 'till I get a new sig>
#4Hikusai(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2008 5:04:34 PM
Thanks a lot. I guess he just didn't turn it on yet. So does the chances of him turning it on only increase if I level him up, or is it basically just the higher the level, the better the chance? (For example, if I purchase one at a high level later instead of leveling up the same one.)
---
www.rpgdreamersforum.com
#5zz1000zzPosted 8/1/2008 5:14:44 PM
As rking already stated, the chance of activating an aura decreases as the hireling's level increases.
#6rkingPosted 8/1/2008 5:15:33 PM
As your mercenary levels, the chances of him activating the aura decrease.

"Act 2 Merc Aura Activation

Act 2 Merc aura's do not automatically activate when you hire them, or do they become active when you leave town. The Desert Warrior requires a little stimulus to use his aura and this means getting him involved in the action.

Basically, the Act II merc will only activate his aura when he has to pick an attack. The chance of activating his aura decreases every level up, to around 2.5% at lvl90+. So if your character kills everything before the merc gets a look in, the aura won't activate.

It can be a little more complicated than what is stated above and there do seem to be instances where a hired mercs aura will simply not turn on, or at least take a very long time to do so. Simply returning to town and then letting your merc kill more monsters should normally solve such problems."

From http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=580. That page is a good read for merc information, not just Act 2 guys.

---
#7zz1000zzPosted 8/1/2008 5:15:54 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I was not as clear as I should have been. It makes no difference whether you level the hireling personally or not.
#8zz1000zzPosted 8/1/2008 5:18:05 PM
Curse you rking. You made me apologize for something I did not do...
#9rkingPosted 8/1/2008 5:20:22 PM
...uh *runs like the wind*
---
#10zz1000zzPosted 8/1/2008 5:41:58 PM
You will be back rking. Everybody comes back.