This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ATMA vs. PlugY (for storing items)

#1NerthingPosted 7/16/2009 4:38:56 PM
I've used PlugY for a while, but I had problems with it (like losing items in my storage when switching characters). I've started to use ATMA and find it better.

My friend seems to think PlugY is more useful than ATMA, mainly because he somehow corrupted an ATMA storage file and therefore thinks the program is junk. I figured an automatically organized list of what items you have (ATMA) instead of a ton of storage tabs (PlugY) would be a lot better.

Is PlugY really better than ATMA? It seems that you can lose items using either, but which one is more risky?
#2rkingPosted 7/16/2009 4:41:25 PM
I've never once had a problem with ATMA, and I've been using it for about a year and a half. I've seen a few people in that time lose or corrupt their PlugY stashes, for what that's worth.
---
http://www.d2offline.info - Diablo 2 SP forums
For people who use the internet!
#3ExplopyroPosted 7/16/2009 4:43:26 PM
I've used both from time to time, and generally frown on PlugY for item storage. It's a lot easier to make mistakes when using it, and ATMA is also very convenient for trading with other players (try trading using PlugY over TCP/IP games and you can encounter some very nasty bugs that will cause items to vanish).

PlugY also stores the items in strange ways (depending on what stash settings you use for it, it will store them differently) and I've noticed occasional duplications or deletions occurring as a result (especially when mixing it with ATMA).

What I do is use ATMA for all storage/muling/trading purposes, and have a doctored PlugY.ini (which disables all features except Uber Quest and Diablo Clone); I only use PlugY when I actually want to experience that content and run the game normally otherwise.
---
I know the answer... what was the question again?
Visit http://d2offline.info for legitimate offline Diablo II.
#4MentaldumazzPosted 7/16/2009 5:01:57 PM
Hey TC, PlugY is better. Here's why:
1) You get to "physically" move and "see" the item, not to mention it's wayyyyyyy quicker than closing D2, loading ATMA, dragging the stuff, load D2, get back. Sometimes I just want to get that item out right away.
2) I've never experienced problems with the stash not saving. (Those problems that do happen are when my game freezes, which happens in both D2 and PlugY regardless)
3) Get a new computer.
#5Nerthing(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2009 5:09:24 PM
1) You get to "physically" move and "see" the item, not to mention it's wayyyyyyy quicker than closing D2, loading ATMA, dragging the stuff, load D2, get back. Sometimes I just want to get that item out right away.

I don't close Diablo II; I go to the title screen and then ALT+Tab to ATMA. Also, how much stuff are you picking up in the game where you would take up a whole storage worth of space? I find it easier to move everything into my storage (which I leave empty), and then into ATMA after I've finished playing the game.

2) I've never experienced problems with the stash not saving. (Those problems that do happen are when my game freezes, which happens in both D2 and PlugY regardless)

You might have not noticed losing some items. I remember using a low level character and putting some gems/low runes into the stash, switching my character, and noticing later that the items weren't there. Also, I've heard a lot more about losing items from PlugY than I have from ATMA.

3) Get a new computer.

Why would I need a new computer? Everything works fine.
#6MentaldumazzPosted 7/16/2009 5:13:02 PM
I don't quite understand. It's not like we both crash when playing. (only me but it happens anyhow) You could just give me all the uniques to hold while we both play on D2.
#7ExplopyroPosted 7/16/2009 6:36:37 PM
I play in windowed mode, so it's not too difficult for me to switch to ATMA when I need to use it. I also generally tend to do fairly short play sessions, so I don't find it too problematic to just mule in between them (I can see the appeal of using PlugY to move the items around ingame, but that's fairly minor).

Besides, I have 13 or 14 ATMA stashes, each containing different kinds of items, and most of them having 500+ items in them (some having more than a thousand). I can find whatever I'm looking for quickly and easily, thanks to the combination of my sorting (by rarity mostly) and ATMA's built-in sorting by either item type or alphabetical. Tell me you can do that in PlugY - I'm waiting...
---
#8MentaldumazzPosted 7/16/2009 7:11:47 PM
Simple, I'll hold all the uniques (there shouldn't be 99999 uniques since you keep dying at bosses). While you hold all the other junku.
#9JvstmPosted 7/16/2009 9:21:01 PM
PlugY only messes up if you use it in conjuction with Hero Editor carelessly.

---
Currently Playing - Baldur's Gate, Solo Half-Elf Avenger
Trawl - 80 Undead Warrior, Meriph - 80 Human Paladin; Moon Guard
#10ExplopyroPosted 7/16/2009 11:05:54 PM
Or ATMA. Or TCP/IP games.
---