This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trying to enter MP and a little confused.

#1Omnipotent_CowPosted 3/19/2012 5:50:18 PM
I try to join a game with low-leveled people in the first act with my brand spanking new character. Most of the lobbies I join though are just people sitting around camp, possibly trading (of which I have nothing to trade). Should I just make my own lobby and just play the game normally and wait for people?

Sorry for the nooby questions, I've already played the game in SP and am now looking at MP and feeling overwhelmed. My guy is non-ladder non-hardcore non- pretty much anything else and am trying to be as vanilla and noob friendly as possible.
#2shadowrunner103Posted 3/19/2012 7:52:32 PM
Yeah, there aren't a ton of people just playing through the game at any given moment. Make a public game called "act 1 new" or something and play through the quests with whoever comes. I noticed you said "non-anything" -- you should be using an expansion character, unless you have a good reason not to.

I should add that those games full of low-level characters standing around doing nothing, those are characters people made purely to fill their stash/inv with items (called a mule, for obvious reasons), and characters expire after 10 days of not logging in with them, unless you play them for at least 2 hours. So people just leave new characters idle in a game for a few hours so they don't have to bother worrying about them expiring.
#3Omnipotent_Cow(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2012 8:15:30 PM
Alright then, thanks!
#4Omnipotent_Cow(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2012 8:33:13 PM
Hmm, it seems most of the people who join are just bots that spam ads. Also, why is it that I cannot use another persons teleport spell; additionally, I see the message "so and so has asked you to join them..." and they disappear through the portal, is there something I'm supposed to do here?
#5Sn0o0zePosted 3/20/2012 2:25:09 AM(edited)
I've ordered the game online (again), should arrive soon. I never got around to finishing the game so I'm planning to create a new character and play through vanilla+expansion online.

If you're looking for a coop partner just let me know, I'll see you on bnet ;) I'll be starting from the very beginning though.
---
You know Grady, some people think I'm overprepared, paranoid, maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any precambrian life forms, did they? - Burt Gummer
#6ZeratulthekingPosted 3/20/2012 7:49:40 AM
There are parties in MP you can work together with the people in your game or on your own. In order to enter someone's town portal or TP as it is commonly referred you must be part of their party. Either hit p or the party icon in the lower center part of your screen.

Bots are rampent on both ladder and non-ladder. Either put level restrictions most bots are lvl 1, or just hit N to clear the text.

I would say read this: http://www.diablowiki.net/Reference
To get more accustomed to in-game speak as lots of people abbreviate everything.

That said you should play ladder instead of non-ladder as there are more people playing on it at one given time and you get access to ladder only runewords/uniques, and can cube up runes.
#7Sn0o0zePosted 3/20/2012 10:07:05 AM
OK thanks for the tips. The enemies are the same for everyone though, right?

I mean if some moron comes into my game bringing modded equipment, he'll basically ruin it for everyone? Am I understanding this correctly?

In any case, I'll probably get Titan Quest too at some point, if any one of you guys is looking for some dungeon crawling/space exploration coop partners, feel free to PM me.

I've been focusing a lot on consoles these past few years, there's a ton of PC games I have missed or overlooked, it's time to get back on track ;)
---
You know Grady, some people think I'm overprepared, paranoid, maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any precambrian life forms, did they? - Burt Gummer
#8ZeratulthekingPosted 3/20/2012 12:13:28 PM
Yes the world is basically the same for anyone that joins in. In other words if the person that joins your game kills everything you won't have anything to kill.

There are random people that do join games to rush people through all the way to the next difficulty. IMHO I think it is kinda stupid as what is the point of playing to get pushed to hell then just mooch to level, might as well watch a movie as essentially that's what you are doing by doing 0 work to get a high level.
#9Omnipotent_Cow(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2012 8:56:49 PM

There are parties in MP you can work together with the people in your game or on your own. In order to enter someone's town portal or TP as it is commonly referred you must be part of their party. Either hit p or the party icon in the lower center part of your screen.

Bots are rampent on both ladder and non-ladder. Either put level restrictions most bots are lvl 1, or just hit N to clear the text.

I would say read this: http://www.diablowiki.net/Reference
To get more accustomed to in-game speak as lots of people abbreviate everything.

That said you should play ladder instead of non-ladder as there are more people playing on it at one given time and you get access to ladder only runewords/uniques, and can cube up runes.

Some of those terms are very helpful, but what does 'pp' mean when people come into a game?
#10Sn0o0zePosted 3/21/2012 1:10:21 AM
What are the differences between ladder and non-ladder games by the way?

From what I recall in Starcraft, ladder games were basically 1v1 ranked games, but in Diablo....is it PvP only?

[I did try a quick search but it returned 66 result pages so...]
---