This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Downloaded the installer from batle-net but what is this 26 character CD key?

#1redness19Posted 3/23/2012 7:22:03 PM
Ok, so just to be able to download the game I had to enter the 16 character CD key I had from Diablo 2 but during the install, it's asking me for a 26 character CD key, I don't understand where they get this 26 character CD key from? Even my LOD expansion has 16 characters.
#2redness19(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2012 7:26:05 PM
A cautionary tale for those who have the same question I did. If you go back to the battle-net site and go to your account. Find the Diablo 2 tab and click it. It gives you a 26 character CD key.
#3redness19(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2012 2:58:49 AM
Well, ofcourse I am having a new problem. I had my LOD expansion disk but when I inserted it after installing Diablo 2 from the downloader, it told me to install Diablo 2 first.

So I downloaded the LOD expansion from Battle-Net too. It installed but when I went to the multiplayer and the game attempted to patch itself, I got an error sating it couldn't find a specific file. Now when I try to go to the multiplayer the error says "Battlenet is unable to properly identify the version".

What is going on? I just wanted to play some D2 before D3 comes out.
#4ThornDrumhellerPosted 3/24/2012 7:16:06 AM
http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/diablo2exp/patches/PC/

This site has all the patches, click the one you want to update to (if the site works for you, it seems to be down for me).
---
www.d2offline.info - Single player gaming at its friendliest
#5redness19(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2012 5:53:03 PM
I am still having issues with this and it's beyond me now. I never had these problems when I installed from my old disks but that's no longer an option.

I went to the above site, got the most recent version 113d, 1.0.13.64, install it to the point where I try to install I get the message that says it's not necessary and every time I try to sign on to Bnet it tells me it can't ID my version.

Any other ideas?
#6ZiterenkoyPosted 3/24/2012 6:16:53 PM
I think i had this problem too, ok remember you had to get the 26 character code from the website right? Wel all you have to do is register both games original & expansion and use the codes from the website not from the disk, you already have the code for expansion now get the one for the original and after you get it, install both of the games with the codes from the website and it should work.
---
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
psn: Oyuncu
#7ZeratulthekingPosted 3/27/2012 9:01:19 AM
Run it as administrator and set it to run in compatibility mode for windows xp SP 2.

I assume you are either on Windows Vista/7 as that is where I ran into the same issue.
Also try to right click the patch and run as administrator that will force it to run as your game is most likely not the right patch level and that is why it is complaining. Not sure why it breaks in windows Vista/XP but it doesn't allow you update through connecting to b.net if you are running from the base install.
#8cjnoonePosted 3/28/2012 8:20:08 PM
^Because you most likely are running it from the Program Files folder, and that's write-protected for non-admins. It likely gets dumped to the virtual store, which then doesn't get used, as you still run the old EXE, not the new one.

Install D2 somewhere other than Program Files, and you'll have no trouble with that part. I usually install to C:\Diablo II.
---
If your AC:WW game is bricked, contact me at cj.no.one {at} gmail {dot} com. I will unbrick the cart and restore your save file. Only cost is shipping.
#9ZeratulthekingPosted 3/29/2012 7:48:24 AM
cjnoone posted...
^Because you most likely are running it from the Program Files folder, and that's write-protected for non-admins. It likely gets dumped to the virtual store, which then doesn't get used, as you still run the old EXE, not the new one.

Install D2 somewhere other than Program Files, and you'll have no trouble with that part. I usually install to C:\Diablo II.

There's a reason for it so you don't screw up with the way the application runs. Kind of keeps it more secure and stable so you don't have people wondering why it stops working. But Vista/7 likes to be idiot proof and ask you for permission to do anything too so there ya go. I find just setting it to admin simpler as you have to hit yes after double clicking it, helps prevent the chance of the application getting screwed up as installing a program other than program files is usually ill advised unless you are an advanced user.
#10cjnoonePosted 3/30/2012 10:57:16 AM
Program Files always was supposed to be used only for direct, unmutable program data, not storing files that it needed to be able to edit, like save games. Of course, developers just ignored that, and then when Microsoft started enforcing those restrictions, we ran into problems.

(Technically, Microsoft WAS enforcing those restrictions on XP, except they made the default user account on XP an admin account, instead of a limited user, so they basically designed an extremely well-built safe to protect important files and then taped the combination to the front of it.)

You are correct, though, the reason is, among other things, to make it harder to infect an executable that the user is going to run.

Installing D2 outside of program files can just help alleviate some of the hassle. I prefer not running things with admin privileges if I don't have to, which is why I chose to install it to C:\Diablo II.
---
If your AC:WW game is bricked, contact me at cj.no.one {at} gmail {dot} com. I will unbrick the cart and restore your save file. Only cost is shipping.