This game is so hard!

#1Beet_JuicePosted 4/15/2010 3:30:09 PM
This board is pretty slow so I don't feel I'll get flamed for a pointless rant / praise topic for this game...

Prove me right? :-)

Let me first say that this game is amazing for its age. I didn't really game for a long time and I missed a lot. Obviously I can play this fully maxed and the environments (but def not the characters) can still hang with contemporary FPS's in a lot of ways. But surprise - the gameplay is good too. The semi-open world is done nicely and the level design is ... intelligent enough.

Difficulty: I die over and over and over again! It's awesome. The things that they ask you do in this game are ridiculous sometimes - if you choose to do it the hard way.

For example:

The second map - board the carrier, get to the top, etc...

It took me a whole day to perfect the last sequence of:
- Take out the 'copter without sustaining too much damage
- Kill the 2 guys at the rear
- Kill the tower/mounted machine gun guy,
- Make it to the armor without getting killed
- Make it to the boat (across the two rope bridges)
- Figure out that you have to shoot the chains

I told my buddy that this game asks Halo-like tasks of you, but only gives you COD / Rainbow Six: Vegas level health.

Good times. I just want a silencer or more than 5 sniper rifle cartridges!
#2robveiPosted 4/16/2010 5:28:11 PM
"It took me a whole day to perfect the last sequence of:"

What do mean by "perfect" the last sequence? Do you mean...to get through it without taking any damage?....or to kill every Merc with a single shot?....or just to get through the damned thing without dying, lol. If it's the latter and it took you "all day", then you seriously need to improve your gaming skills, dude :)

On a side note, Morgoth22 (the author of the sticky topic) had the idea that he was going to get through the entire game in easy mode, using nothing but the pistol and the machete, and he recorded his progress with a series of gameplay videos that he uploaded to Rapidshare (before Youtube was here). In his video of "Carrier", he shot the gunner out of the chopper with a single pistol shot. I mean, he killed the guy with the very first shot!! My jaw dropped when I saw that. He himself admitted it was a million to one shot.

I don't think he ever made it any further than about half way. I think the fat boys proved to be too much for him :)

---
Gameplay Vids
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=38F98DA9BD64D172
#3Morgoth22Posted 4/21/2010 1:57:18 AM
I guess I kind of gave up in the end! That said I have been looking for something to keep me occupied for a while, so perhaps it would be an idea to start again.

That shot you talked about is on this video at about 4.05...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jojybwUol2g

As far as I remember on my old version I managed to get to the end of Regulator, so as you say rob, half way. I never got around to uploading the videos because it took me ages and my PC stuggled, but now I have a better PC it should be a painless process.

Youtube used to knacker the quality of the videos, but now that they have more options for HD and so on I shall look at this again and see how far I can get. I've been looking for a nice single player challenge to take me away from multiplayer games for a bit too and I've always loved Far Cry.

Nothing has really come close to it since.

The whole point of me doing the run was that as some people found it ridiculously hard to play the game and gave up at some stage. It is doable...I was trying to proove that on Easy mode. I have also done a run on Realistic mode with just M4, pistol and grenades the whole way through.

It is a while since I last played, so it might not be so easy for me to remember the levels now, but I think Far Cry embodies what a lot of single player games lack now - a long and involving campaign with multiple ways to tackle any objective certainly - but also tough AI (perhaps unfair at times if you're on realistic mode). This conversely makes it very rewarding when you get somewhere with it!

Of course, the AI is not without fault - I do try my best to exploit it :D
---
Morg
#4corpse_rotPosted 4/21/2010 5:07:03 PM
yer this is a hard game especially on higher difficulty

really when i first played it i at times choked back tears and i'd try to yell out in frustration but my voice would crack.

my friends face goes beetroot red when he plays it he cant relax.
my sister cant shoot anyone she just runs then gets stuck and my dad cant even see the crosshairs.

ass kicking game.
#5I aM tHe LeGeNdPosted 5/2/2010 10:21:29 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6I aM tHe LeGeNdPosted 5/2/2010 10:24:02 PM
This game came out around the same time doom 3 did. Far Cry was the best game at its time years ago.
Far cry has beautiful scenery compared to closed quarters dark environments in doom 3.

Anyways this was the first person shooter with a semi-smart AI that I played. Other games they stand there or whatever.

I must admit though this game isnt 'hard' maybe somewhere in the middle of difficulties.
---
~I am the LeGeNd because I make the LeGeNd~
#7robveiPosted 5/4/2010 5:19:16 PM
"I guess I kind of gave up in the end! That said I have been looking for something to keep me occupied for a while, so perhaps it would be an idea to start again.

That shot you talked about is on this video at about 4.05...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jojybwUol2g

As far as I remember on my old version I managed to get to the end of Regulator, so as you say rob, half way. I never got around to uploading the videos because it took me ages and my PC stuggled, but now I have a better PC it should be a painless process.

Youtube used to knacker the quality of the videos, but now that they have more options for HD and so on I shall look at this again and see how far I can get. I've been looking for a nice single player challenge to take me away from multiplayer games for a bit too and I've always loved Far Cry.

Nothing has really come close to it since.

The whole point of me doing the run was that as some people found it ridiculously hard to play the game and gave up at some stage. It is doable...I was trying to proove that on Easy mode. I have also done a run on Realistic mode with just M4, pistol and grenades the whole way through.

It is a while since I last played, so it might not be so easy for me to remember the levels now, but I think Far Cry embodies what a lot of single player games lack now - a long and involving campaign with multiple ways to tackle any objective certainly - but also tough AI (perhaps unfair at times if you're on realistic mode). This conversely makes it very rewarding when you get somewhere with it!

Of course, the AI is not without fault - I do try my best to exploit it :D"

Well, speak of the devil :) How the hell are ya, Morgoth? Long time no see. The fat boys are just way too hard to kill for a pistol & machete run, unless you can run from them instead of engaging them, I don't see any way to do it, even in easy mode.

What kind of work are you doing, Morgoth? I hope you're putting that University Degree to good use. Are you married yet? Any kids?

---
Gameplay Vids
#8robveiPosted 5/4/2010 5:40:21 PM
"That shot you talked about is on this video at about 4.05...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jojybwUol2g"

"The video has been removed by the user" :)

IIRC, that wasn't the video that had the single shot kill. I watched your pistol and machete youtube vids a while back, but the Carrier video was a different iteration from the one you uploaded to Rapidshare. I kept that rapidshare vid on my hard drive for a long time, but unfortunately I deleted it a while back while I was doing some cleaning.

---
Gameplay Vids
#9Morgoth22Posted 5/5/2010 12:26:35 AM
Hi Rob!

Yeah I took the old one down, I can upload in much higher quality now, which makes it a bit easier to watch...sadly I have changed my PC too and no longer have the old original. Should probably have thought about that before I deleted it!

However, if you watch on the new versions - Treehouse Part 2 has a similar shot :)

The degree hangs on my wall, but isn't being used really...

I work as a financial adviser now because I couldn't get into a geography related field near home ...it is challenging, especially on the sales side but reasonably enjoyable. Not sure I'll stay doing it much longer as I've been in the role training and qualifying for about 2 years now.

Have bought a house now, which I also rent a room out of (to a girl tee hee), but as yet no kids or marriage! Scarily it's getting to the stage where the majority of my other friends are getting married, leaving me wondering whether I've left it too late :P

Then I think, nah I'm 25 in June, there's loads of time yet :D

Of course I do also rely on finding the right girl, which I thought had happened a while ago until I realised she was mental (took me a few years to figure it out, but I thought best to cut and run while I could!)

I hope things are ticking along nicely for you too.

On the Machete Run, as expected I think I'm going to come unstuck at Crow on Boat. I'm going to have to use something else to beat him I think but I will try when I get there to see if it's possible first...

The first time I got there in practice, I had about 60 bullets, which I have unloaded into him to no avail. On my actual run I was much more careful of ammo conservation and I think I'll be left with roughly twice that many bullets to take him on.

The other problem is that I'm starting to run out of people/places dropping ammo after that and it's a lot harder to machete heavily armoured people with OICW's to death before they take off a massive chunk of health.

It's frustrating to have to leave behind all the nice guns...I went to the OICW on Boat yesterday to gawk at it, but the serious point from here is that unlike all levels up to this point, all mercs are now being kitted out with better stuff, so ammo is scarce and you can't take on rocket fatboys or the jumpy invisible trigens with a machete very easily without dying on a regular basis.

It's annoying when I record, because I am trying to do things in one take. Levels are getting bigger and taking a lot of memorising to complete successfully. Boat is especially massive.

I've played through on my recon play through Catacombs to River. As far as I can make out, there is only one 32 bullet ammo drop at the start of Catacombs (IIRC - not even sure if I'm confusing it) but nothing else so far. This is not especially helpful considering the number of trigens in tight corridors later on!

The scientists are starting to arm themselves with P90s and it's getting to the stage where I'm starting to think there won't be much more pistol ammo anywhere. Instead it looks like being a slower more calculated draw goons to the machete type scenario :D
---
Morg
#10robveiPosted 5/5/2010 8:00:08 AM
"Of course I do also rely on finding the right girl, which I thought had happened a while ago until I realised she was mental "

LOL. I've had that happen to me as well, on more than one occasion. I think I'm just attracted to the wrong type of personality. Anyway, I've long since given up on that, but I'm much older than you. I'm sure you'll find her, just don't let her get away when you do :)

As for your ammo problems, I, for one, wouldn't hold it against you if you used the Devmode just for unlimited pistol ammo. What you're attempting to do is hard enough without having to worry about finding enough ammunition for your pistol. One has to be pretty dedicated for something like this. You must have a lot of patience.

---
Gameplay Vids