Wizardry Tabletop Conversion

#1sparkstronPosted 6/7/2013 2:02:40 AM
I'm doing a Wizardry tabletop conversion and I could really use some help.

I'm still working on converting the magic system, I should have the basics done in few days, and I will post it at giantitp.

I would really like to know if anyone would be interested in helping, I just need a few people to look it over and comment, that would help me a lot. I know this board is kinda slow, but I don't have anywhere else to ask.
#2sparkstron(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2013 3:59:09 AM
Here's a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287160

I'm working on the numbers at the moment, and I could really use some help to balance it.
Also, Bard and Psionic need some help, but I'm lost there.
#3atmasabrPosted 6/20/2013 6:33:14 PM
Oh, well. I'll hang around for a bit.

Attributes range from 1 to 40. . .

. . . Every point above 20 offers a bonus, and every point below 15 offers a penalty.

Have you playtested this or measured it against the formulas in the Wizardry games? I don't think the games do anything like that. I through V have an "average" range of about 6 to 15 on a 3 to 18 or 3 to up to 25 scale for certain key stats, and I think VI and VII do something similar. 8 by my understanding has flat but very gradual bonuses. Well, let's see how big the bonuses actually are.

I don't understand what you mean by "Accuracy" in skills. I also don't understand why you seem to have a separate accuracy value for Ranged Combat and the Throwing, Bows, and Modern Weapons skills. Are you missing Close Combat?

I think Samurai having less HP than Valyries and the same as Rogues, Gadgeteers, Priests, and even just two more HP than Bishops is just wrong.

The way to rein in the Bishop is to control how many skill points characters get compared to how many skills they have. This game gave Bishops ten important class skills but only nine bonus points per level with which to improve them. The other casters not only have three less skills, but are almost required to spend points on their realm skills due to the max +3 skill point limit for any one skill. The 25% bonus on their key magic skills is only icing.

I stopped at the classes.
---
Do your own research!
#4sparkstron(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 5:31:36 AM
atmasabr posted...
Oh, well. I'll hang around for a bit.

Attributes range from 1 to 40. . .

. . . Every point above 20 offers a bonus, and every point below 15 offers a penalty.

Have you playtested this or measured it against the formulas in the Wizardry games? I don't think the games do anything like that. I through V have an "average" range of about 6 to 15 on a 3 to 18 or 3 to up to 25 scale for certain key stats, and I think VI and VII do something similar. 8 by my understanding has flat but very gradual bonuses. Well, let's see how big the bonuses actually are.

I don't understand what you mean by "Accuracy" in skills. I also don't understand why you seem to have a separate accuracy value for Ranged Combat and the Throwing, Bows, and Modern Weapons skills. Are you missing Close Combat?

I think Samurai having less HP than Valyries and the same as Rogues, Gadgeteers, Priests, and even just two more HP than Bishops is just wrong.

The way to rein in the Bishop is to control how many skill points characters get compared to how many skills they have. This game gave Bishops ten important class skills but only nine bonus points per level with which to improve them. The other casters not only have three less skills, but are almost required to spend points on their realm skills due to the max +3 skill point limit for any one skill. The 25% bonus on their key magic skills is only icing.

I stopped at the classes.

I think that in Wizardry 8 50 is neutral and everything above or bellow gives bonus/penalty. I just made 15-20 neutral.
I still didn't test it, I am working on the numbers.
Accuracy is a bonus on hit roll.
Close Combat is split in Dual Weapon, Shield and Two-Handed. This way every style has a skill(including ranged combat). Those skills are giving me some trouble. How does removing ranged combat and applying Dual Weapon, Shield and Two-Handed to ranged weapons sound?
You are right about the Samurai, I will change that.
I need to add the number for skill points. This will be split in Weapon/Physical/Academic. A fighter will probably have 6/2/1 and casters will have 1/2/6. Do you think this will balance Bishops? They could still still use feats to grant them extra skill points, so they could potentially max all casting and realm skills.
#5atmasabrPosted 6/21/2013 5:28:37 PM
I think that in Wizardry 8 50 is neutral and everything above or bellow gives bonus/penalty.

I don't think that's neutral. That's a flat line. You could just as easily say that 25 or 75 is neutral, just because you feel like saying that.

Close Combat is split in Dual Weapon, Shield and Two-Handed. This way every style has a skill(including ranged combat). Those skills are giving me some trouble. How does removing ranged combat and applying Dual Weapon, Shield and Two-Handed to ranged weapons sound?

It sounds like Baldur's Gate 2, wait BG2 didn't give any boosts to ranged combat.

I don't know how you could name it in such a way that it makes sense. The problem is that you are badly forgetting single-weapon only style, which is a default of early game Faerie Mages when they are being flanked. Under your rules, characters can move individually. There are some situations in which the best thing for a wizard to do is use a short-range melee attack. Most RPGs regulate wizards to either daggers or staves. Staves are usually better. Wizardry also adds one-handed wands. If you do anything, anything at all to distinguish daggers and wands from staves, then the lack of a single-weapon style skill shortchanges those wizards. Those extra points that aren't being sucked up by extra Bishop spell schools have to go somewhere.

I'd be interested in seeing a second opinion on the rest.
---
Do your own research!
#6sparkstron(Topic Creator)Posted 6/22/2013 8:27:28 AM
What kind of bonus should I add to single weapon? Shield has AC, 2-Handed has Damage and Dual Weapon has Accuracy.

Wands are in the same weapon group as Staves (Staff & Wand).
Casters will have only one Skill point to spend on weapons, so they will have to pick between Thrown and Sling and a close combat weapon.
#7atmasabrPosted 6/22/2013 5:17:36 PM
Hmm, wait a minute.

Do you keep the Shield skill or did you subsume it under the Shield style?

Single weapon style isn't important at all in Wizardry 8. It's very sub-optimal. I think you should combine it with two-handed style. I think Baldur's Gate 2 gives AC and initiative bonuses but that style is only optimal for classes like thieves that can (almost) fight but can't use shields. In Wizardry 8 the only classes that can't use shields are the most frail of magicians.
---
Do your own research!