Similar games?

#1lis300Posted 6/8/2013 10:44:12 PM
I played this a fair few years ago possibly when it first came out, I recall hiring it from a video store, and in my youth hastily dismissed it as junk... Now in my more mature years have fully come to appreciate a "real" rpg. Can anyone recommend a similar game in terms of scale ( apart from m&m series) . I got my hands on wizards and warriors however the non turn based combat, and dodgy graphics has put me off... Legends of grim lock just does not have the epic feeling of wiz 8 and who knows how long m&m x will take...
#2SoberJoePosted 6/9/2013 1:15:45 AM
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne?
#3ZekuMusashiPosted 6/9/2013 1:27:06 AM
From what I remember, Anachronox has a similar feel in terms of exploration
and using skills outside of battle, the combat is (different but still) turn-based.

Fallout 3? You didn't expand on what you meant by scale / epicness so dunno :P
---
You want an awesome free Collectible Card Game?
~~~~~~~~ www.cardmasterconflict.com ~~~~~~~~
#4lis300(Topic Creator)Posted 6/9/2013 4:37:36 AM
Yeah, Fallout 3 was good, so was oblivion, less so skyrim. I'm more after party based like dragon age origins and less so dragon age 2 (WTF Happened there...). EG going waaaay back eye of the beholder series and the underated buck rogers series.
#5atmasabrPosted 6/9/2013 9:23:55 AM
Wizards & Warriors has an option that gives you turn-based combat, and this game has an option that gives you real-time combat. However W&W is buggy.

That is the only I can think of with the same interface. However if it's scale you're looking for, I would highly recommend the Baldur's Gate series if you have not already played it. You get to play one hero who gets all these friends. And you grab all this junk and sell it, and then you get all this magical gear, and suddenly you can afford super-powered magical stuff, and you're throwing fireballs... I love playing as a Mage in that game. And yes, you're traveling a lot.

If you have already played that series, the other D&D games are a fair substitute.
---
Do your own research!
#6PaladinPosted 6/12/2013 2:03:00 PM
Temple of the Elemental Evil has turn-based combat. I prefer this game than Neverwinter Nights series, because it's more similar to the PnP D&D.
---
Lay on hands!
#7atmasabrPosted 6/12/2013 3:27:55 PM
Paladin posted...
Temple of the Elemental Evil has turn-based combat.

Buggy as hell, though. Icewind Dale II is more fun, too.
---
Do your own research!
#8PaladinPosted 6/12/2013 8:30:25 PM
atmasabr posted...
Paladin posted...

Did you patch your game? The first release is indeed buggy. It's almost unplayable due to the looting bug.

I did't play Icewind Dale 2 far. I finished the first Icewind Dale + HoW though.
---
Lay on hands!
#9atmasabrPosted 6/13/2013 5:13:00 PM
Paladin posted...
atmasabr posted...
Paladin posted...

Did you patch your game? The first release is indeed buggy. It's almost unplayable due to the looting bug.

I did't play Icewind Dale 2 far. I finished the first Icewind Dale + HoW though.

It took me forever to find a patch with a version number low enough that I didn't feel it was destroying the content of the game.

Even then, some bugs were still there, and there were new glitches I didn't like.

How is the original?

IWD2 is pretty fun once you figure out how to use the rules. Combining the 3.0 rules with a real-time Baldur's Gate engine is about the only way 3rd edition is ever fun in video games. Of course, it's one of those kill-kill-kill games (hey, so is this one!), but I like it. I have a folder devoted to nothing but kill counts and the ledger--I'm counting my loot! Multi-classing and other odd stuff is a little fun in that game even though the 3rd edition rules penalize multi-classing very badly. My 10th level Dwarven Fighter/Thief is nowhere near as powerful as the equivalent character in the AD&D games (well, more Hit Points, though), but for some reason he has more character.
---
Do your own research!
#10PaladinPosted 6/15/2013 12:19:57 AM
atmasabr posted...
It took me forever to find a patch with a version number low enough that I didn't feel it was destroying the content of the game.

Even then, some bugs were still there, and there were new glitches I didn't like.

How is the original?

IWD2 is pretty fun once you figure out how to use the rules. Combining the 3.0 rules with a real-time Baldur's Gate engine is about the only way 3rd edition is ever fun in video games. Of course, it's one of those kill-kill-kill games (hey, so is this one!), but I like it. I have a folder devoted to nothing but kill counts and the ledger--I'm counting my loot! Multi-classing and other odd stuff is a little fun in that game even though the 3rd edition rules penalize multi-classing very badly. My 10th level Dwarven Fighter/Thief is nowhere near as powerful as the equivalent character in the AD&D games (well, more Hit Points, though), but for some reason he has more character.

The original Icewind Dale? I finished the game years ago, when the game was newly released. It was fun because I like Baldur's Gate series. Last year I played both Baldur's Gate 1 (including TotSC) + Baldur's Gate 2 (including ToB) and Icewind Dale (including HoW). I tried installing some patchs & tweaks from thegibberling. I finished BG 1, played BG2 till before fighting the dragon Bhaal-child. I had some difficulties in Icewind Dale in hardest difficulty (not HoW mode). All the enemies had high attack bonus, and my best tank can't do much against them. Then I resort to an old trick, let the enemies chase my tank while the rest of the party shooting arrows and slings on them. I played until I beat the demoness in Yuan-ti caves.

I played Icewind Dale 2 until I repel the orcish attack on the first town. I didn't like the Paladin, too plain. I prefer the Neverwinter Nights' Paladin than Icewind Dale 2's Paladin.
---
Lay on hands!