Party for variety

#11Aya Brea(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2014 7:10:38 PM
Do you get a text prompt for instant kills? I am using that mod that was posted here a while ago which speeds up battle, so it's hard for me to follow the text, but so far I am not really noticing any instant death kills.

I'm using the ranger's bow attack 100% of the time. I am not giving him any melee weapons.
---
Pokemon Y 0619 4338 9000 IGN Henri Miidonna Growlithe Ninetales Larvesta
#12PainAmplifierPosted 1/12/2014 11:28:35 PM
Aya Brea posted...
Do you get a text prompt for instant kills? I am using that mod that was posted here a while ago which speeds up battle, so it's hard for me to follow the text, but so far I am not really noticing any instant death kills.

I'm using the ranger's bow attack 100% of the time. I am not giving him any melee weapons.

Yes you do get a text prompt for instant kills. Don't expect constant IK's, especially early on. Critical strike is only .1% per skill point. So with 100 in critical strike your bonus to Instant kill is only 10% (12.5% for Ninja)

I think the best bow only adds 5% to that. It's great when it happens, but it's (fortunately) not a common occurance for most attacks. You can go multiple battles without ever getting a single one, and then on the next battle get 2. I've had the luck one time for my Ninja to Instakill the Demon (Diablo?) that guards the door to Al-Sedexus in the rift, on the first turn no less, with a Feather Dart. I spent time issuing orders and prepping all my chars for a tough fight and *POP*! My Ninja was like...so what now? :P

Unlike most JRPG's, bosses are *not* immune to instakills. Thus if the chance was too high the game would be horribly broken. Even normal mob fights would be ludicrously easy as well. Plus it would basically make all other attacks useless and ruin the game balance. Which is why editing Rangers to add Critical Strike is what I consider a bad balance idea...regular ammo (like just Barbed arrows) do enough damage with multiple shots/attacks that sticking Critical Strike on top of ranged criticals is just over the top Over powered. Ninja at least have the balance of lower base damage thrown weapons, or limited quatities.
#13jamiemadrox024Posted 1/13/2014 2:16:19 AM
wolfy42 posted...
I believe a rangers critical strike is based on his ranged weapons skill.

It's only for ranged attacks though.

You are definitely correct. A Ranger's instant kill chance is based upon Ranged Combat skill. Rangers can critical strike with any ranged weapon (even Slings and such).
#14Aya Brea(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2014 5:59:30 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

So does critical strike only affect melee weapons? If so, stacking critical strike on a ranger might be a waste of time and waste of skill points... although it's not like he has anything better to use his skill points on, especially now his bow and range skills are approaching 75.

Oh and I noticed an instant kill last night and saw the text prompt. Was too fast to see whom it came from though.

Also noticed my ranger was diseased in the retro dungeon last night. I only just read that disease makes you lose stats permanently after a while. I had rested a couple of times (so my bishop can recover MP for Knock Knock on the door to get out). Hopefully I haven't gotten to the point where I start losing stats. How long does it take before you lose stats?
---
Pokemon Y 0619 4338 9000 IGN Henri Miidonna Growlithe Ninetales Larvesta
#15StrelokPosted 1/29/2014 6:34:02 AM
A hint for your ranger.
Let your Gadgeteer make a Dual/Triple shot crossbow.
Don't get rid of your lgiht crossbows!
The D/T Shot Crossbow will last you for a long time.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg