Ultimate GSC Team (no legendaries)

#1jordanlilingPosted 6/12/2008 7:52:45 AM

I'm trying to make the ultimate GSC team without any legendaries (i'm currently using an emulator). This is what I have so far:

Jolteon (Miracleberry) - Thunderbolt, Reflect, Bite, Attract

Exeggutor (Twistedspoon) - Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Psychic, Explosion

Snorlax (Leftovers) - Double-Edge, Earthquake, Curse, Rest

Tentacruel (Mint Berry) - Surf, Sludge Bomb, Mirror Coat, Rest

Skarmory (Bright Powder) - Steel Wing, Whirlwind, Protect, Toxic

Flareon (Quick Claw) - Flamethrower, Body Slam, Curse, Baton Pass

If you can see any weaknesses in my team or have any suggestions please tell me. Thanks :)

#2oinkmooblahPosted 6/12/2008 5:55:33 PM
It's not really ultimate... It's good, but it has some weaknesses. A Tyranitar with Fire Blast destroys your party, aside from Tentacruel. I would take out Flareon. It's too fragile to set up Curse+BP. For BP, I prefer Umbreon.
---
Now Playing: FFCC: MLaaK, SSBB, and MKWii
Personal Favorites: FFX, KHII, Persona 3, and DQVIII
#3jordanliling(Topic Creator)Posted 6/13/2008 1:05:50 AM

You're right, Tyranitar would be quite a problem. However, I think my team is well prepared for one. If my Jolteon is out, i'd be willing to sacrifice some damage to place a reflect up to absorb an Earthquake (I don't think it would one shot my Jolteon without reflect, meaning id have more than half my total HP left). Then i'd pseudo pass the reflect to Curselax who'd start cursing up, with the reflect already covering his HP well and truly. If the opponent sends out a hazer, just remember that the opponent has to waste a turn to use haze. Even though the hazer will get rid of Curselax's curses, his Double-Edge can pack quite some damage on its own. Exeggutor I think would have a good chance at taking it with Sleep Powder, Leech Seed and Explosion (i.e. put Tyranitar to sleep after absorbing a Crunch, then assuming the opponent will switch either use Leech Seed or Explosion). However, your right, Tyranitar is a problem. The rest of my team looks very good (maybe i can switch Tentacruel's Rest and Mint Berry with something like Barrier and Focus Band) apart from Flareon. I don't think Umbreon would fit well with the rest of my team. Do you have any suggestions for a replacement for Flareon?

#4Blues003Posted 6/13/2008 1:30:08 AM
Let me suggest to changes in there. Trade Executor for Victebrell and Tenacruel for Starmie (you end up with the same types). On Victebrell use Razor Leaf, Sludge Bomb (believe me, she's DEADY with it), Sleep Powder and LeechSeed/Synthesis. On Starmie, well, that depends. She has access to Surf, Ice Beam, Tunderbolt, Thunderwave, ConfuseRay, Rapid SPin (for spikers), etcetra, so that'd be your choice. ;)
---
"Daddy, what does FORMATTING DRIVE C mean?"
#5jordanliling(Topic Creator)Posted 6/13/2008 2:35:15 AM

Blues003 posted...
Trade Executor for Victebrell and Tenacruel for Starmie (you end up with the same types). On Victebrell use Razor Leaf, Sludge Bomb (believe me, she's DEADY with it), Sleep Powder and LeechSeed/Synthesis. On Starmie, well, that depends. She has access to Surf, Ice Beam, Tunderbolt, Thunderwave, ConfuseRay, Rapid SPin (for spikers), etcetra, so that'd be your choice. ;)
---

Don't get me wrong, I love Starmie because it learns the awesome moves Confuse Ray and Thunder Wave. But one of the reasons I have Exeggutor in my team is to cover for Joltie's ground weakness. Since Victreebel is part poison, it isn't resistant to ground attacks. I know i have Skarmory which is immune to Earthquake but it doesnt have many options offensively coz i have that to pseudo-haze and DOT with Whirlwind and Toxic. Most people (who have common sense) wouldn't keep their Golem or Nidoqueen in against my Exeggutor, because that would be very idiotic on their part (unless maybe if the Nidoqueen has Flamethrower, but then again ur forgetting that Sleep Powder completely immobilises the opponent). My team i reckon has all the basics there, just it doesn't have that 'oomph' I'm looking for. Maybe I can take Flareon out the team and give the Quick Claw to my Exeggutor - after all it needs the speed :D. Only problem is I need a replacement then.

#6Blues003Posted 6/13/2008 2:56:09 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love Starmie because it learns the awesome moves Confuse Ray and Thunder Wave.

I won't take you wrong, don't worry, this is all friendly discussion : )

But one of the reasons I have Exeggutor in my team is to cover for Joltie's ground weakness. Since Victreebel is part poison, it isn't resistant to ground attacks.

Well, neither is Tentacruel resistant to them... In your team you have Grass/Psychic and Water/Posion. I just switched them. Now it's Grass/Posion and Water/Psychic. With Pokemon that, IMO, are better =p

I know i have Skarmory which is immune to Earthquake but it doesnt have many options offensively coz i have that to pseudo-haze and DOT with Whirlwind and Toxic.

Indeed. Oh, and you can Spike as well ;)

Most people (who have common sense) wouldn't keep their Golem or Nidoqueen in against my Exeggutor, because that would be very idiotic on their part (unless maybe if the Nidoqueen has Flamethrower, but then again ur forgetting that Sleep Powder completely immobilises the opponent).

No one would keep a Golem or Nidoqueen agaisnt exeggutor. I get your point though. You're saying that since Exeggutor is part Psychic, he will own Golem an Nidoqueen, while being resistant to Earthquake.

My team i reckon has all the basics there, just it doesn't have that 'oomph' I'm looking for. Maybe I can take Flareon out the team and give the Quick Claw to my Exeggutor - after all it needs the speed :D. Only problem is I need a replacement then.

There are 3 fire types I love. Tyhplosion, Arcanine, and Houndoom.

Typhlosion: Flamethrower, Earthquake, Thunderpunch, Attract
Arcanine: Curse, Extremespeed, Flamethrower, Safeguard
Houndoom: Flamethrower, Sunny Day, Solar Beam, Crunch

Typhlosion -> Thunderpunch owns waters
Arcanine -> Curse+Extremespeed own a LOT of pokemons =p
Houndoom -> Solarbeam owns waters, rocks and grounds. So his weaknesses regarding his fire type are covered ^^
---
#7jordanliling(Topic Creator)Posted 6/13/2008 6:32:37 AM

Well, neither is Tentacruel resistant to them (Earthquake)... In your team you have Grass/Psychic and Water/Posion. I just switched them. Now it's Grass/Posion and Water/Psychic. With Pokemon that, IMO, are better =p

I think you're missing the point. Ideally, I'm starting off the battle with Jolteon. It has a crummy defense which it covers for with Reflect, while this isn't enough to defend itself against Earthquake users that receive STAB on the move or have very high attack (like Nidoking and Marowak). That's why I have my Exeggutor - because if the opponent is going to attack me with a ground move that's backed by STAB or high attack, that ground move will halve in damage because Grass is resistant to Ground. Poison is weak to ground attacks, negating Victreebel's ability to cover for Jolteon's grpund weakness (furthermore, Exeggutor is pretty much identical to Victreebel in the moves it learns, just Exeggutor has a better special attack). Skarmory is for stuff like a 'Thick Clubbing' Marowak - ideally, people like to set up these Marowaks by Baton Passing various things such as Substitutes, Agilities and Swords Dances. Skarmory can Whirlwind all of these away or toxic a Marowak without a sub up.

Indeed. Oh, and you can Spike (with Skarmory) as well ;)

Unfortunately, this is GSC. Skarmory can't learn Spikes in GSC, hence it can't use the Toxic/Spikes/Whirlwind combo.:(.

When I was initially coming up with this strategy, I was basing everything I used in it around Jolteon and its positives/negatives. I think I have a very good strategy going, and I'm pretty sure I will use Jolteon, Exeggutor and Skarmory. However, the last 3 I'm gonna use are debatable. If anyone could suggest the last 3 pokemon I should use (if you want you can change around Jolteon, Exeggutor and Skarmory's moves), that would be extremely helpful. As a previous poster mentioned, Tyranitar is a problem, and I'm sure there are other problems as well.

#8Blues003Posted 6/13/2008 6:49:13 AM
I think you're missing the point. Ideally, I'm starting off the battle with Jolteon. It has a crummy defense which it covers for with Reflect, while this isn't enough to defend itself against Earthquake users that receive STAB on the move or have very high attack (like Nidoking and Marowak). That's why I have my Exeggutor - because if the opponent is going to attack me with a ground move that's backed by STAB or high attack, that ground move will halve in damage because Grass is resistant to Ground . Poison is weak to ground attacks, negating Victreebel's ability to cover for Jolteon's grpund weakness (furthermore, Exeggutor is pretty much identical to Victreebel in the moves it learns, just Exeggutor has a better special attack). Skarmory is for stuff like a 'Thick Clubbing' Marowak - ideally, people like to set up these Marowaks by Baton Passing various things such as Substitutes, Agilities and Swords Dances. Skarmory can Whirlwind all of these away or toxic a Marowak without a sub up.

Grass is resistant to Ground? I know that Grass is super-efective against it, but I do not think Ground moves have their damage halved. I think it's like Ice and Dragon: Ice is super effective against dragon, but that doesn't mean Dragon is poorly effective against Ice. However, I might be mistaken.

Also, Exeggutor has nothing to do with Victrebell. Exeggutor deals damage based on Psychic or Egg Bomb, and very rarely resorts to Solar Beam. In the best of chances, he goes with Razor Leaf. He is pretty solid, though. The reason why I suggested Victrebell was because she's REALLY nasty with Sludge Bomb. Trust me, you won't believe me till you see it, but she can really sweep in one or two hits. I was very suprised when I started to see my Victrebell was so good (even Bellsprout can do the same)

When I was initially coming up with this strategy, I was basing everything I used in it around Jolteon and its positives/negatives. I think I have a very good strategy going, and I'm pretty sure I will use Jolteon, Exeggutor and Skarmory. However, the last 3 I'm gonna use are debatable. If anyone could suggest the last 3 pokemon I should use (if you want you can change around Jolteon, Exeggutor and Skarmory's moves), that would be extremely helpful. As a previous poster mentioned, Tyranitar is a problem, and I'm sure there are other problems as well.

Well, you surely have to start somewhere, and the best thing you can do right now is to make a team based on the leader. After all, he's the one who is going to start the batle, and maybe settle the outcome of the battle. However, after doing that, you need to think a bit on how the team can cover each other's weaknesses. That is why most people use a Fire/Water/Grass or a Psychic/DarkOrBug/Fighting triangle.

Tyranitar will be a problem regardles of how you look at it. He's the equivalent of Dragonite in the 2nd version =p So it can be tough to deal with him. I wouldn't recommend a Fighting type per se, but maybe a pokemon with a Fighting move and Blackbelt. The reason I don't recommend Fighting Types is because they are very fragile in what concerns Sp Def, and we all know Psychics are very popular. Besides, Fighting + Blackbelt + Weakness to Fighting is more than enough to make Tyranitar crumble. Or alternatively, just use a good Surfer. Lapras can be extremely good... AND she can Ice Beam, which is always nice to deal with Dragons. You never know when one's gonna come by. Ice Beam also deals with her Grass Weakness. Rest will make her a tank ;)

---
#9jordanliling(Topic Creator)Posted 6/13/2008 6:35:05 PM

Im 100% sure grass is resistant to ground - if you don't believe me, check on a type match up chart on the net somewhere. I was wondering if i should replace tentacruel with a mirror coating Blastoise with Surf, Ice Beam/Submission, Mirror Coat and Earthquake/Rest (something along those lines). This means that I can sent a Blastoise in against a Tyranitar and although I'll take damage, i can rest it off. Do you have any recommendations for the rest of my team? I can entirely see what you're saying about Victreebel and its Sludge Bomb (its awesome power and ability to poison the opponent rocks) but it isn't resistant to ground. That means I'll definetely have a Jolteon, Exeggutor and Skarmory in my team. Do you have any recommendations for the rest of my team?

#10Blues003Posted 6/14/2008 1:35:39 AM
I like Blastoise a lot, and I think Surf, Ice beam and Mirror Coat go great on him. However, think about Lapras as well. I'm telling you to choose Lapras, but I think she can be more of a tank, even though Blastoise is quite a defensive Pokemon.

As for Flareon, I already gave you my three main choices.

Snorlax has Double-Edge. Take it out for Body Slam. Also, you may want to have Sleep Talk instead of Earthquake. This way you won't lose any turns at all. :)

---