Windows 7

#1WeirdoJokerPosted 7/10/2011 8:21:32 PM

I recently had some work done on my laptop, which originally came equipped with Windows Vista, and this game (and MM7 and Civ3 - haven't tried MM8 on it yet) worked fine. However, I had Windows 7 installed instead of Vista, and now while I can install the game, it won't start up. (I was out of town, and so couldn't try MM7 or -8, or Civ3 - and now I need more work done on it so I can't try anything yet.) Is this expected? Is Windows 7 so far advanced (comparatively speaking) that it won't operate the older games anymore? Or is a patch out there somewhere?

#2WeirdoJoker(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2011 8:22:11 PM
P.S.: All the games still work on my Vista desktop at home.
#3aetherspoonPosted 7/11/2011 4:22:05 AM
Nope, it runs under Win7; have you patched it with Greyface's unofficial MM6 patch yet?
---
Ęther SPOON!
Resident junk computer part expert, owner of #aspoonedroom
#4WeirdoJoker(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2011 11:20:05 AM

Pretty sure I didn't run the Greyface patch, yet ... I'll give it a shot when I have the computer back up & running (power cord jack is dead). Thanks.

#5Rune CasterPosted 7/17/2011 8:27:43 AM
Another thing you could try is adjusting your video card's hardware acceleration and or running dxdiag.exe and turning off DirectX Direct Draw, 3D and AGP Texture acceleration and see if that helps.
---
You have to be careful with those bulls. For instance...
*is picked up by a bull and placed in the cow launcher* o_0 THWIP-P-P-P AHHHHHHHHHH! - TimeSpaceMage
#6CountZeroPosted 7/17/2011 4:22:37 PM
The game sort of works for me under Windows 7. However, I can't run the game windowed (it's hard set to require be set at 16 colors, which you can't really do in Windows 7), and it has problems when I alt-tab out of the game. Otherwise, it works fine for me.
#7aetherspoonPosted 7/17/2011 8:39:24 PM
You can still change Win7 to use 16-bit color. Probably not worth doing, but you can.

Go to Control Panel -> Display -> Screen Resolution, then click "Advanced Settings". It is on the monitor tab, under "Colors".
---
Ęther SPOON!
Resident junk computer part expert, owner of #aspoonedroom
More topics from this board...
blaster riflesmadstomper47/31 5:16AM