New to the game

#1JagTE81Posted 4/30/2012 9:09:24 AM
Hello,

Ive been looking into playing EVE more and more over the past couple weeks, as I've grown tired of SWTOR. I've play SW since launch, and played WOW for about 5 years before quitting a year ago. I know this game is vastly different and offers a new experience and that's what interests me. However, through all the guides for noobs and game explanations, I still haven't totally grasped what the idea of the game is. For the most part it seems to be a game about building a small business and turning it into a Microsoft like corporation, with a little legalized robbery and mayhem mixed in. I know this is a very vague post, but if someone could describe, with a bit of detail, what the in game experience is like, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
#2stoltenberg11Posted 4/30/2012 10:00:06 AM
you can do many different things in the game, but there is no set game objective for you to constantly be working towards.

for me and a lot of other people, the main goal in the game is to kill other players, but its a lot more complicated than just turning on your xbox and putting in your halo disc and joining a game. you have to make money to buy the ships you use to kill people, you have to train skills to use the ships and weapons, and you have to learn how to fly the ships, and its also a very good idea to join a corporation with other players who also try to kill people
---
SLAM JAM BAM BABY!
#3Zeran_kariashiPosted 4/30/2012 3:21:31 PM
It's an open ended sandbox game with no developer set goal. You literally just set a goal for yourself and work towards it. Then when reached, you set a new one or simply quit feeling satisfied at achieving the goal you set. That's really all there is to it. The game is what you want to make of it.

Though it helps work in small steps, since it IS a complex game and setting too high a goal too soon can cause you to get burned out. Also, small steps give you a solid foundation making it less likely someone else can critically derail your ambitions on whim, merely setting you back a little bit instead.
#4reaver894Posted 4/30/2012 4:30:58 PM
Yes you havent grasped the game.

EVE is sandbox.

You do what you want. But remembers others also do what they want. Mission running, mining (ill advised currently) production, trading and piracy are common trades. But just cause you skill toward something doesnt mean your stuck. A frig with an MWD and point (warp scrambler/disrupter) and some crappy guns is likely to be welcome in a PvP roam cheap disposable tackler.

Others will likely argue with me but I love flying cheap tacklers. My alt can fly an onyx but i dont like it as much as the vulnerability of the chance of being insta popped cause i got unlucky or backup with the ecm was slow. Even better when its bait and theres a spike in local and the "oh (censored)" that goes through your mind.
---
I refuse to buy a Wii until it has a game that uses a Fleshlight as an attachment!
GamerTag: reaver894
#5tuffguy34Posted 4/30/2012 7:07:36 PM(edited)

Yes you havent grasped the game.

EVE is sandbox.

You do what you want. But remembers others also do what they want. Mission running, mining (ill advised currently) production, trading and piracy are common trades. But just cause you skill toward something doesnt mean your stuck. A frig with an MWD and point (warp scrambler/disrupter) and some crappy guns is likely to be welcome in a PvP roam cheap disposable tackler.

Others will likely argue with me but I love flying cheap tacklers. My alt can fly an onyx but i dont like it as much as the vulnerability of the chance of being insta popped cause i got unlucky or backup with the ecm was slow. Even better when its bait and theres a spike in local and the "oh (censored)" that goes through your mind.

...did you really just say insta-pop and onyx? People use that ship to tank 10/10's. It has one of the best tanks in the game for a sub capital. If you aren't getting 150k ehp out of it you're fitting it wrong.
---
|WoT|
http://eve-kill.net/sig.php/563518/default/signature.jpg
#6stoltenberg11Posted 4/30/2012 7:56:23 PM
thats not what he said. he said he likes the adrenaline rush of knowing he can be instapopped in a cheap tackle frigate
---
SLAM JAM BAM BABY!
#7tuffguy34Posted 4/30/2012 9:03:14 PM(edited)
Oops my apologies then...

>_<
---
|WoT|
#8stoltenberg11Posted 5/1/2012 7:28:05 AM
apology NOT ACCEPTED!
---
SLAM JAM BAM BABY!
#9reaver894Posted 5/1/2012 8:31:32 AM
stoltenberg11 posted...
apology NOT ACCEPTED!

THIS

:-P
---
I refuse to buy a Wii until it has a game that uses a Fleshlight as an attachment!
GamerTag: reaver894
#10tuffguy34Posted 5/1/2012 9:21:34 AM
stoltenberg11 posted...
apology NOT ACCEPTED!

It wasnt yours to give!
---
|WoT|