TravelDemon plays King's Field: the Ancient City

#1TravelDemonPosted 11/12/2012 8:46:34 AM
So, as I start a new game, I am immediately struck by two things: some amazing music, and the worst narrator ever. Seriously, I don't know where they found this guy, but he should definitely not be allowed to do narration. He sounds like the "next episode guy" on FMA: Brotherhood, but like 1000x worse.

Anyways, after the opening cutscenes, I spend a little time getting "used" to the controls(I'm not used to them at all yet). They wouldn't be so bad if my guy didn't move like he was wading through a sea of molasses.

So with my new found "mastery" of movement I head off on my quest. I see a sign advertising a store, but not having any money I decide to pass it by. I see some giant caterpillar looking creatures in the distance, and head over there. I was not destined to reach them though, because the ground suddenly gave way and introduced me to the pool of lava beneath my feet.

GAME OVER

...Well that didn't take long. I start again of course, and this time avoid the funny looking patch of earth. I reach the caterpillars, and begin to punch furiously at them. It's no use though, as all of my attacks bounce harmlessly off of them, and three of them quickly overwhelm me.

GAME OVER

I could get used to this.

This time I decide to drop into the shop, to hopefully get a weapon. I'm disappointed on the shop side of things though, as I see that it's not actually a shop at all, but an entirely new area. I do find a club, however, and with it I proceed to beat down all the crazy giant venus fly traps around the area, gaining a level in the process. Then I found some gloves and an evil looking statue, which turns out is a save point.

I found the promised store a little further away, but the shopkeep is charging 30 gold for a piece of grass, so I can't afford anything. Only other thing in this area is a broken bridge and a depressed old guy, so I head back to see if I can defeat the evil caterpillars with my new found club. During my epic battle with them, which I will spare you the details of, I discovered the stamina bar, and with it, why my attacks had bounced of harmlessly. I continued into the building behind them once they were dealt with, and found some wicked looking fog, although it disappeared as I approached it.

What doesn't disappear is a large spider, which kills me with it's quick jumping attack

GAME OVER

Discouraged, from my lost progress, I stop for the day.
---
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29607197.jpg
#2BarkitaPosted 11/12/2012 11:14:18 AM
Welcome to King's Field. Where most people die within the first 20 seconds.
---
@zzzzzzz[]XX::::::::: KINGS-FIELD.COM ::::::::::>
#3MoonlightSwordPosted 11/13/2012 6:09:06 PM
tagged out of interest

hehe sounds like your having a great experience and learning the ins and outs of the game... keep powering through bud, don't be afraid of an iddy biddy spider

keep us posted, gl hf ^_^
---
I smoke to get high because the world is so low - Kid Cudi
#4BarkitaPosted 11/14/2012 11:03:16 AM
The last time I killed that spider at level 9 with a level 3 fist.
---
#5MolitheusPosted 11/14/2012 5:58:53 PM
i actually like the narrator guys voice. i know he sounds a little strange but i never get killed when i start a new KF game. once you get use to the game and level up some, you will start loving this game more and more but dont give up though, its a great game
---
There will be death Harv-5
#6TravelDemon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 9:37:50 AM
Haha, thanks guys, second part incoming.
---
Ask me about my Haiku.
#7TravelDemon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 10:24:15 AM
I'm getting settled in nicely here. The controls don't seem nearly as sluggish or unresponsive as they originally did, and I have a better grasp on combat. Of course it helps that I now know I can use the joystick to look up and down, although I don't why they didn't make it so you can look left and right with it...

Anyways, my skills have turned the tide of battle into my favor, and I now slaughter enemies with great gusto. Some investigating has rewarded me with most of a suit of leather armor, a short sword, and a shady character who wants me to bring them a "rock of life". Overjoyed at finding some direction, I head off into the nearest cave(labeled Beware: Poison) to search for this rock.

...And then things take a turn for the worst. I'm immediately face with pile upon pile of wicked goo, who all seem to wish for my early demise. I think nothing of them, at first, but one manages to nick me, inflicting me with "poison" status. No big deal, it's just poison, right? ...Right?

A few dozen attempts later, I manage to kill of all the little bastards without getting poisoned. I head deeper into the cave, and follow a sign to the "rest area"... Should've been marked "Eternal rest area". Zombies roam the halls, but luckily for me, they're much less trouble than the toxic goo, as I quickly realize they can be stunlocked to death.

I find a pickaxe on one of their corpses, which I quickly rule out as a possible weapon by it's sluggish attack speed and nonexistent damage. However, the pickaxe has the power to break barrels and wooden panels, opening new areas for me.

All those areas led to death. Eventually, I decide to take the pickaxe from the cave and run, heading down another path I hadn't seen the first time. I find a sad little girl and her poisoned mother. The little girl tells me that her daddy went to find a cure for her mommy(suckers, I guess they don't know poison is fatal!). I also have a close encounter with the monster tree they keep in their backyard(which nearly gives me a heart attack), and found a shield, whose intricacies escape me, and so is reduced to taking up space in my inventory.

More adventuring had me fight a horde of skeletons, who I found to be the most agreeable enemies yet. And even later I found an old man who said he wanted to return to his family, and asked me to "do something about the monsters" so he could go back. I killed every monster around, but that apparently wasn't what he wanted me to do to the monsters, as he continued to mope about them. Discouraged by his stupidity, I stop playing.

Okay, I know this is a long one, but I'm really getting into the game now. Everything just works. It all comes together to generate something that this game does better than any I've ever seen: atmosphere. It's freakin' palpable. The music, the slow controls, the color pallet... It's there. I'm looking forward to learning more about the story too(why am I even here?), the Cursed Idol is very intriguing. Anyways, it's pretty rare for me to play a game through to the end, but I just might with this one.
---
Ask me about my Haiku.
#8BarkitaPosted 11/15/2012 2:34:54 PM
Did you kill all the skeletons before you talked to the old man?
---
#9TravelDemon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 3:44:40 PM
Barkita posted...
Did you kill all the skeletons before you talked to the old man?

No, but after he asked me to deal with the monsters I killed them all, and he just kept asking me to deal with them.
---
Ask me about my Haiku.
#10OutlawDinoPosted 11/15/2012 4:54:17 PM
and found a shield, whose intricacies escape me, and so is reduced to taking up space in my inventory.

Shields, like all other pieces of armor, boost your defensive abilities. Maybe sometime special shields will grant other bonuses. Equip it.
Obviously, two handed weapons preclude the ability to equip a shield.
---
Yes, I'm a comic character posing on a comic book message board. How's your 4th wall holding up?
Official Deadpool of CAGN.