Is Maria real or fake

#1ElChino223Posted 9/18/2009 8:22:53 PM
I was convinced she was James hallucination but on born from a wish you as play as her and talk to spirits that does not make scene to me. Anyways I just beat this game and I must say it has the best plot of a game I played in 2009.
---
Texas is culturally and morally irevellant.
#2Stone-in-FocusPosted 9/19/2009 1:21:03 AM
She is indeed born from a wish, i.e., not real, even in spite of her interaction with the also not-real Ernest.
---
[ the singularity is near ]
#3IZToPosted 9/19/2009 3:26:11 AM
What's the deal with Ernest anyway?
And how come even though Maria takes the White Chism to him it still ends up back in the appartments for James to find?
---
Ham of Hams=Win Hamehameha.
There was a HOLE here, now it's in Henry Townshend's bathroom-yay4gippali
#4JamieBabyPosted 9/19/2009 1:19:27 PM
I just find it strange that she is self-aware...
---
You're gonna like the way you look. I guarantee it.
#5_Shuyin_Posted 9/19/2009 10:16:23 PM
Only in New Game Plus. Bonus items are not part of the game canon.

As for Maria - she was created by the town (or it's Gods if you wish) to be part of James' Journey of Realization. Her only purpose is to represent Mary and what James did to her - which is why she's killed several times by Pyramid Head, who symbolizes James. She can only be seen by James, which is why she never interacts with the other characters. "I hate Bowling".

Part of me doesn't like that Born from a Wish gave Maria her own personality. Instead of a piece of a large puzzle, shes now viewed as a tragic character.
---
"Deliver us from this evil or let us perish"
~ Cheshire Cat, American McGee's Alice
#6Stone-in-FocusPosted 9/19/2009 11:27:19 PM
I have a very, very different take on why Maria exists and what her purpose is, but she was created by James' mind, not the alleged 'gods' of the town (I don't believe there really are any gods in Silent Hill, nor do I believe the town itself has any sapience or will). The games are filled with references to gods and implications of a sentient town, but the creators have, thus far, been very clever in never once proving these implications to be fact.

Also, the "Rebirth" ending is as canon as the other three main endings, according to Team Silent (none of them are specifically THE canon ending). This, of course, does raise the question about why the Chrism reappears for James at a later time . . . unless James has already found it at this point and it 'reappears' specifically for Maria. It's hard to say for certain, as both scenarios take place at the same time.
---
#7HPHovercraftPosted 9/19/2009 11:32:52 PM
Part of me doesn't like that Born from a Wish gave Maria her own personality. Instead of a piece of a large puzzle, shes now viewed as a tragic character.

The one doesn't preclude the other. That she has her own personality and memories doesn't change the fact that she is nothing more than a construct. I've not played this sub-scenario, but I can't imagine anything in it that couldn't be explained easily as a fabrication of the same force that constructed her in the first place.

Sure, she'd think those memories were real, but that doesn't mean they're objectively so...

---
"Please, this country is like a college chick after two Long Island Iced Teas - we can be talked into anything..." - Bill Maher
#8Stone-in-FocusPosted 9/20/2009 5:46:36 AM
Maria never actually recalls any memories at all, save for her allusions to Laura (which are obviously not her own memories).
---
#9JamieBabyPosted 9/21/2009 1:57:30 PM
^Hence the confusion in the intro to the "Born From a Wish" sub-scenario. It may seem odd that it portrays Maria as a tragic character, but I think it really manifests the objective tendencies that the town can create. Like you said, although not "Intentional by a sentient" it is obviously the product of someone's contemplation. Probably James' mental energies manifested through whatever ethereal algorithm Silent Hill creates (or doesn't create) things to be viewed by the antagonists' perspectives.
Good lord that was a mouthful -_-
---
You're gonna like the way you look. I guarantee it.
#10Stone-in-FocusPosted 9/21/2009 3:09:59 PM
Gosh, rufus, this here fella talks just like a book.

=D
---