This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I can't aim

#1HiddenBlade_XPosted 5/7/2010 12:31:12 PM
Should I be lowering or raising my mouse sensitivity?
---
PSN/Steam ID: Leary824
MGO: HiddenBlade_X
#2Qwesar23464Posted 5/7/2010 12:34:53 PM
Depends on if you're overshooting or undershooting your target. Are you not turning quick enough to shoot them, or are you turning too quickly and missing?
---
In Crowbar we trust.
Please, call me R. Wolf
#3_foolmo_Posted 5/7/2010 12:42:57 PM
Raise it

Sensitivity doesn't have much to do with how easily you learn how to aim, but playing with higher sensitivity will give you an advantage, so if you learn how to aim on high sensitivity, it's better than learning how to aim with it low.

After that, just play Scout or Soldier to learn how to aim (or Sniper I guess)
---
foolmo
'he says listen to my story this maybe are last chance.' - ertyu quoting Tidus
#4HiddenBlade_X(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2010 12:43:02 PM
I'm not sure.
I used to be a pretty decent Scout, but after a long break from TF2, Medic is about all I can play because of my sudden loss of ability to aim.

I assumed I was turning too fast and missing them, but lower sensitivity feels even worse...
I suppose I need to get good again..
---
PSN/Steam ID: Leary824
MGO: HiddenBlade_X
#5arleasPosted 5/7/2010 12:43:29 PM
If you don't mind working your arm a bit more, it'll probably help if you turn sensitivity DOWN. I wouldn't do a whole bunch at once though. Like, lower it one notch every few days until you feel like you've reached a "sweet spot".

You may also wish to invest in a mouse that has multiple sensitivity levels on it so you can jack up the speed when you need it and lower it when you want to be more accurate.

Another thing you COULD consider is setting the Yaw and pitch to be different. Typically, you need more speed turning left to right than you do up and down, so you could get away with lowering the pitch sensitivity and raising the Yaw sensitivity, though I'm not even sure of the commands to do this.

---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://myanimelist.net/signature/arleas.png
#6putnamehere3145Posted 5/7/2010 2:41:04 PM

Another thing you COULD consider is setting the Yaw and pitch to be different. Typically, you need more speed turning left to right than you do up and down, so you could get away with lowering the pitch sensitivity and raising the Yaw sensitivity, though I'm not even sure of the commands to do this.

Nope.

I don't think there are commands like that. cl_yawspeed only works for +left and +right.

sensitivity is the only command for mouse speed, unfortunately.
---
{{Putnam}}
The time is:
#7Methuselah9000Posted 5/7/2010 2:48:06 PM
Raise it

Sensitivity doesn't have much to do with how easily you learn how to aim, but playing with higher sensitivity will give you an advantage, so if you learn how to aim on high sensitivity, it's better than learning how to aim with it low.

What? Nooooo, don't do anything up there. You probably need to turn your sensitivity down (just about every player I've met needs to turn their sensitivity down)

And I'm willing to bet you have mouse acceleration on
#8codemaster456Posted 5/7/2010 3:58:56 PM
Raise it

That. Being able to change direction with small mouse movements and training yourself to make even smaller movements for precise aiming is better (in the long run, maybe not at first) than capping your look speed by lowering sensitivity.
---
Did you ever wish the circle was a square so when landsharks start circling the borders you could just cut 'em off at the corners?
#9FunkchikenPosted 5/7/2010 4:10:52 PM
Set your mouse sensitivity as high as it can possibly go. You shouldn't have to move your mouse more than a millimeter to do a 1080.

Play nothing but rifle sniper until you're used to it, regardless of what's happening in-game. Ignore silly things like carts and capture points. Eventually you'll be pro!
#10Methuselah9000Posted 5/7/2010 4:22:51 PM
That. Being able to change direction with small mouse movements and training yourself to make even smaller movements for precise aiming is better (in the long run, maybe not at first) than capping your look speed by lowering sensitivity.

No, no, no, no, no. I used to feel the same way, I used 10 sensitivity with 1800 DPI, but it's totally off. You need to be able to have long range precision, and high sensitivity denies that. Hell, you need to have extreme short range precision too.

I'd say there are no more than 5 players in invite who use higher than what you would call a "low" sensitivity. I only know of 1.

I'd say anything faster than 4 inches for a 180 is getting dangerously high.