This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trading between accounts with Steam Beta and Sandboxie

#1arleasPosted 8/13/2011 6:52:58 PM(edited)
I wondered if this would be easily possible, and turns out, yes it is! Here's what I had to do...

Step 1: get sandboxie (if you don't already have it) and install it

Step 2: Make sure you're on the new Steam beta that allows trading from chat windows.

Step 3: Create a shortcut to steam

note: Originally I read someone had said to copy steam to a new folder to make a separate installation of it, but I don't think it's necessary. If this doesn't seem to work though, just copy the steam folder (minus the steamapps so you don't have double copies of all your games on the same hard drive) and edit THAT shortcut.

Step 4: edit the shortcut so that it has -port 27014 (or some other number between 27000 and 27019, I don't know what's the default)

On the shortcut tab, you're editing the Target so that it has (example) C:\Steam\Steam.exe -port 27014

Step 5: Start up the shortcut with the different port and log into your first account

Step 6: Start up your normal account outside the sandbox with the normal steam shortcut (not the one with the port number)

Step 7: open a chat window with your alt account and select "Invite to trade"
note: if you didn't start up steam with a port number as a launch option, the trade window will stall out and you won't get anywhere.

Step 8: choose your items to trade and procede with the trade normally.

And that's pretty much it. I just tried it out and it worked great. I figured this could be helpful for anyone else trying to trade items between their accounts from the same computer.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://www.tf2newbs.com/hlstatsx/sig-31453-random.png
#2BadassZettaPosted 8/13/2011 8:31:45 PM(edited)
What's more awesome is that you can add enough money in your wallet plus $0.50 for a sticky/rocket jumper, trade yourself the game you wanted, AND score an idle account.
---
I'm a badass freakin' Overlord!
#3electroflamePosted 8/13/2011 8:34:18 PM
I never tried this, but could you trade items from a F2P account using the Steam Beta?

I would doubt it, but it'd be an interesting loop-hole.
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
#4synthetiksinPosted 8/13/2011 9:20:45 PM
You can beta both accounts and just trade through IM windows, doesn't require starting up TF2.
#5NerdbotMkIIPosted 8/13/2011 9:39:41 PM
electroflame posted...
I never tried this, but could you trade items from a F2P account using the Steam Beta?

I would doubt it, but it'd be an interesting loop-hole.

nope

you could trade games for stuff though, of course, but your backpack's off limits until you get Premium
#6Yo_D_oYPosted 8/13/2011 9:42:24 PM
You can also idle on more than one account, join a server with more than one account, troll people, scam people, and w/e else you can think of doing with more than one steam account on at a time.
---
Honestly, I can\'t believe why the GameFAQs board won\'t get it that Yo_D\'s just a hacker/pedophile. ~Cerious
/yo_d topic ~arleas
#7arleas(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2011 12:56:03 AM

You can beta both accounts and just trade through IM windows, doesn't require starting up TF2.

Yeah that was the point of this topic. I tried it first without the port launch option and it didn't work though.

What's more awesome is that you can add enough money in your wallet plus $0.50 for a sticky/rocket jumper, trade yourself the game you wanted, AND score an idle account.

That's pretty much what I did, only I don't mind using my credit card on my other account to make up the difference, so I only put in $5, got the $1 heavy starter pack (just because) and then spent the rest on games/DLC for my main account and gifted it.
---
http://sig.steamutility.com/detail/classic/0/0/76561197969913402.png
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
#8Yo_D_oYPosted 8/14/2011 1:54:05 AM
If 5 dollar dlc's/games aren't interesting to people, just get 2 keys. It will become valid currency after a day or two. You only lose 25-50 cents worth of profit, big deal :)
---
Honestly, I can\'t believe why the GameFAQs board won\'t get it that Yo_D\'s just a hacker/pedophile. ~Cerious
/yo_d topic ~arleas
#9jethro6Posted 8/14/2011 2:32:11 AM
Yo_D_oY posted...
If 5 dollar dlc's/games aren't interesting to people, just get 2 keys. It will become valid currency after a day or two. You only lose 25-50 cents worth of profit, big deal :)

Alternatively trade your alt two crates and unbox.
---
Steam/PSN ID: Jetamo
http://iamjethro.com | http://tf2news.tumblr.com
#10paradoxworldPosted 8/14/2011 4:10:29 AM
This topic inspired me to buy an idle account. And I got the speks as well. I might buy even more idle accounts in the future..

I was actually running the numbers, and with 14 total idle accounts (actually 13 + my main), I could be getting 90+ drops a week. This is assuming I can only run 1 idle account at a time, and I run them in rotation. They would each get a 10 hour session, and then I would switch to the next one. This is 20 hours per day. I left 4 hours out of each day for errors on my part, such as being late at switching accounts and such.

And the best part is, I could have this all set up for the price of a new game and a DLC or two. No virtual machine required either. Just Sandboxie. The only problem I have seen so far is me being lazy and having to find new email accounts for most of these accounts.

Oh and what I am doing is buying 2 keys, and then trading the idle account a couple of crates to unbox. I got a strange powerjack and a respectless rubber glove with the 2keys today.
---
I rarely visit topics twice. Even if I post something in one.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!