This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

High FPS Config/Launch Options

#1ShadowstreakPosted 3/20/2008 12:21:01 AM
I used TweakGuides' Half Life 2 and Source Engine Tweaking Guide to make a cfg for people with computers both as crappy and crappier than mine. =P It doesn't look pretty, but I get a constant 60 FPS with it on my HP DV6567cl.

Here are some launch option Cvar's first though.
-dev -console -novid -dxlevel 81 +cl_showfps

^Just copy it as it is^, open Steam, go to My Games, right click TF2, go to Properties, click Set Launch Options, and paste this into the text box and close it. Run TF2, Exit TF2, take -dxlevel 81 out.(Not necessary really but it'll keep resetting your video options to default for dx81 every time you restart TF2).

And now the config.

//Streak's FPS Config

//cl commands
cl_forcepreload 1
cl_smooth 0
cl_detaildist 1
cl_detailfade 800
cl_ejectbrass 0
cl_show_splashes 0

//mat commands
mat_compressedtextures 1
mat_bumpmap 0
mat_clipz 0
mat_filterlightmaps 0
mat_filtertextures 0
mat_mipmaptextures 0
mat_softwarelighting 1
mat_specular 0
mat_picmip 2
mat_parallaxmap 0

//r commands
r_fastzreject -1
r_threaded_particles 1
r_threaded_renderables 1
r_decal_cullsize 1
r_drawflecks 0
r_drawmodeldecals 0
r_dynamic 0
r_lod 0
r_WaterDrawReflection 0
r_WaterDrawRefraction 0
r_waterforceexpensive 0
r_cheapwaterend 1

//lod commands
lod_TransitionDist 1

//dsp & snd commands
dsp_enhance_stereo 0
snd_mixahead 0.7

//other commands
fps_max 60
muzzleflash_light 0
ai_expression_optimization 0
sv_forcepreload 1

echo "MaxFPS Config Loaded"

Just save it as mytweaks.cfg and move it into your C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\<accountname>\Team Fortress 2\tf\cfg\ folder, and add exec mytweaks.cfg into your autoexec.cfg and save it.

Optional cvar's

mat_showlowresimage 1 Absolutely horrendous textures, but substantial performance increase if you're really hurting for fps.
mat_queue_mode 2 Optimizes engine for multi-core CPUs.
r_threaded_renderables 1 Multi-core CPU optimization
r_threaded_particles Multi-core CPU optimization

I tried to keep this idiot friendly, just use your common sense and you can't screw anything up. If you don't like the config, close TF2, type -autoconfig into your launch options, close it, run TF2, voila, it'll be reset.
---
It's like eating your most hated food, but that food is laced with insane amounts of nicotine ensuring you'll be back. Also your food has crit rockets.
#2LawmayPosted 3/20/2008 2:15:59 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3Tytanium_0503Posted 3/20/2008 2:18:28 AM
very nice. Agreed
#4ZyenuPosted 3/20/2008 4:13:11 AM
can u make a faq of this?? or maybe sticky this topic
---
subtitles would be nice
#5Shadowstreak(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2008 6:49:58 AM
Wondering if this is against the GameFAQs terms of service maybe...I figured someone would've posted one by now. Anyway, bump for crappy computers and higher frame rates.
---
It's like eating your most hated food, but that food is laced with insane amounts of nicotine ensuring you'll be back. Also your food has crit rockets.
#6WiNGSPANTTPosted 3/20/2008 8:33:21 AM
Can you post a screenshot of what the game looks like running with these options?
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/WingspanTT
http://gamervision.com/gamer/wing
#7Shadowstreak(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2008 9:54:10 AM
Low resolution, crappy textures.

If you have standards for graphics don't use it, Pyro's flamethrower shoots red squares with mat_showlowresimage on, and it isn't much better with it off.

I just enjoy being able to run the game and WMP at the same time at 60 FPS without stuttering, if I can tell who's who it's good enough for me. =P though turning on showlowresimage is kinda annoying even for me, blood spraying from your enemy looks like a big red solid square.
---
#8Shadowstreak(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2008 10:30:03 PM
~bump~
---
#9Shadowstreak(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2008 7:48:29 AM
Bump. Keeping it on the first page, it really doesn't deserve a FAQ, too short, a sticky would be nice though, so I don't have to keep bumping. =P

I noticed that I left the dual core processor optimization commands in as well as listing them as optionals, so here is an updated one without the threaded commands for dual core processors.

//Streak's FPS Config

//cl commands
cl_forcepreload 1
cl_smooth 0
cl_detaildist 1
cl_detailfade 800
cl_ejectbrass 0
cl_show_splashes 0

//mat commands
mat_compressedtextures 1
mat_bumpmap 0
mat_clipz 0
mat_filterlightmaps 0
mat_filtertextures 0
mat_mipmaptextures 0
mat_softwarelighting 1
mat_specular 0
mat_picmip 2
mat_parallaxmap 0

//r commands
r_fastzreject -1
r_decal_cullsize 1
r_drawflecks 0
r_drawmodeldecals 0
r_dynamic 0
r_lod 0
r_WaterDrawReflection 0
r_WaterDrawRefraction 0
r_waterforceexpensive 0
r_cheapwaterend 1

//lod commands
lod_TransitionDist 1

//dsp & snd commands
dsp_enhance_stereo 0
snd_mixahead 0.7

//other commands
fps_max 60
muzzleflash_light 0
ai_expression_optimization 0
sv_forcepreload 1

echo "MaxFPS Config Loaded"

GameFAQs should really add some more features to their forums..underlining and editing would be quite useful..

---
#10Shadowstreak(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2008 5:27:37 AM
Bump -- Use the above script even if you have a dual core processor, apparently the bugs aren't worked out and they're detrimental.
---