This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My game keeps freezing for a few seconds.

#1DudechapguymanPosted 11/6/2008 6:25:28 PM
I recently reformatted my gaming PC. Not wanting to download all of my steam crap again, I sent my Steam folder to another computer, then sent it back over once I was done reformatting. Since then, my game keeps freezing. It lasts between 5 and 10 seconds. I've already tried reinstalling TF2, and it didn't help at all. Any ideas?
---
Just as planned...
#2True_FoeHammerPosted 11/6/2008 6:29:54 PM
some of the data in the folder could have been corrupted
---
My thoughts on why the wii is selling: simple **** sells to simple people
PSN: FoeHammer Steam: FoeHammer
#3Dudechapguyman(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2008 6:32:27 PM
Like what though? I already reinstalled TF2, so the only data that could be causing the problem, as far as I'm aware, would be Source engine data. But all of my other Source games work fine.
---
Just as planned...
#4True_FoeHammerPosted 11/6/2008 6:37:56 PM
all else i can think of is really, really bad lag, or you need to defrag your tf2 file
---
My thoughts on why the wii is selling: simple **** sells to simple people
PSN: FoeHammer Steam: FoeHammer
#5RyanRyout316Posted 11/6/2008 9:05:48 PM
i had the same problem on my old hard drive. I bought a new one, SATA, and it has been performing a lot better. My game used to freeze every game every few minutes. But now it may freeze once every week, and I attribute that now to lag and not my computer.

So i think it's your hard drive. Because mine is running as perfect as it once was
#6vegitto187Posted 11/6/2008 11:53:15 PM
defragging the tf2 files fixed this problem for me once. hope it works for you

(right click tf2 in games window, properties, then local files tab and defragment cache files)
#7Dudechapguyman(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2008 6:41:29 AM
I can't imagine it being the hard drive. It's SATA, and it's less than a year old. I suppose it's possible, but I find it unlikely. Defragging my TF2 files didn't help, unfortunately.
---
Just as planned...
#8Dudechapguyman(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2008 7:43:45 AM
Some new information.

I decided I'd just camp a doorway with sticky bombs, since that's about all I could do considering I'd be spending half my time frozen. I discovered that if I stay put, the game doesn't freeze at all, but if I started moving to new areas, the game would freeze for 5-10 seconds for every 3 or so steps that I took.

Also, strangely, crouching makes my point of view move upwards before moving downwards.
---
Just as planned...
#9em em eye kayPosted 11/7/2008 9:14:23 AM
hit ctrl+shift+esc and bring up your performance tab, and see how much ram is being used/your cpu

If it's high (or even if it isn't) make sure there aren't any processes running that are eating up your recourses.
---
this white thing comes out of you and goes into the other person - my brother
You would still love pretty bad just because of lack of competition. ~ DarkGea
#10Dudechapguyman(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2008 1:12:22 AM
My CPU usage while playing TF2 fluctuates between 50-70%. Do you think that's too high?

As for my memory, nothing seems to be taking up too much of that.

Incidentally, minimizing is causing TF2 to stop responding. Just another problem on the pile.
---
Just as planned...