This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

does steam accept pre-paid credit cards?

#1teh_hellspawnPosted 3/5/2009 8:47:27 PM
Trying to gift my mate a copy of the orange box with a pre paid mastercard, but it keeps saying it was declined by the company. Does steam accept pre-paid credit cards as payment? as its one of those prepaid master cards you get at the store, nothing really fancy but i've got things i'd like to buy on steam with it.
---
Thar be a ninja in mah boot!
#2Blitzkr13gPosted 3/5/2009 8:48:39 PM
I don't know.

Aren't I helpful?
---
CREDIT TO TEAM
#3arleasPosted 3/5/2009 9:04:29 PM
I'm pretty sure Steam wants to verify information with the company, as in your address and all that jazz... Since it's prepaid, the credit card company has none of that information, thus when Steam tries to validate it, it fails and thus the payment fails. This is done (most likely) to prevent theft of your card. You might try to see if you can transfer the funds to paypal or something else, OR contact Valve directly about it and see if they have a solution.

---
http://miniprofile.xfire.com/arleas.png
http://www.tf2newbs.com/hlstatsx/sig.php?player_id=31453
#4EdwardBlakePosted 3/5/2009 10:09:38 PM
Actually, I believe that if you go to the website for that prepaid credit card, you should be able to associate an address to the prepaid and thus will be able to make a purchase. I know that visa has this, but I don't know about other companies.
---
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him"
#5CelebratoxPosted 3/5/2009 11:48:11 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6yeahyeahyupPosted 3/6/2009 12:21:07 AM

Actually, I believe that if you go to the website for that prepaid credit card, you should be able to associate an address to the prepaid and thus will be able to make a purchase.

---
Goddammit yeahyeahyup! Did you read a thing I said!?
#7teh_hellspawn(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2009 5:14:51 AM
Bump. haven't figured it out, and the company won't help me with this =/ does valve have phone support I can call to ask about this?
---
#8bs123Posted 3/6/2009 6:15:41 AM
I had a pre-paid Visa I got from a mail-in-rebate that I used to buy a couple games on Steam. I didn't have to do anything with my billing information besides enter the card number, expiration date and security code. The transaction processed fine, and have had no issues in the 3 weeks since.
#9teh_hellspawn(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2009 6:26:09 AM
Hm...strange..

Well, Maybe they're having issues or something. I'm trying to buy COD 4 and Fallout 3 for myself, and the funds are there

it just keeps saying like it was declind by the company, blah blah. I've used it before, so its not the card itself =/ and the money is on there, so thats not the problem either.
---
#10ngdawgPosted 3/6/2009 6:58:01 AM
Last week I actually bought TF2 and some other things with an american express card. But they don't take the card directly. The best thing to do is set up a paypal with that card and then use that to pay for it, it worked for me.
---
GH:WT Friend Code: 3222-9207-7638
AC:CF Friend Code: 4726-2893-7588