This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do I get behind enemy lines with the Dead Ringer?

#1xChaos001Posted 8/9/2009 11:11:44 PM
Seems like disguising and then running right at the enemy automatically gives me away as a DR Spy. Would could I be doing to effectively get behind enemy lines?
---
[Place computer specs no one cares about here]
#2DarthInsaniusPosted 8/9/2009 11:16:25 PM
Are you disguising as allied characters perhaps? So when the enemy team shoots at you, they're not spychecking?

But then again, a pyro not M1ing or a Demoman that mysteriously drops in 1 pistol round is equally suspicious.
---
Higher tech level required. Build more reactors.
#3KurinzoPosted 8/9/2009 11:18:28 PM
Who cares if they know you're a Dead Ringer Spy? You're invincible until you uncloak. Make finding the nearest ammo pack a priority so you can be ready again, right away. Uncloak BEFORE you grab it, almost always choose to reactivate the DR over extending it's cloak because it loses the damage reduction after the initial 6~ seconds. You shouldn't have much trouble losing the enemy. You don't flicker at all with it. Always have the DR out, no matter where you are, unless you're about to go for a kill. It's insurance.
---
the more balls you have, the more damage your move does.
#4diamond weaponPosted 8/9/2009 11:26:17 PM
If you're trying to fool someone with a friendly disguise, don't pull your watch out until you take a few hits. Makes your feign-death look more believable.
---
You don't have to be Awesome to have Common Sense and Foresight ~riverdude
Rule #59: I will never build a sentient computer smarter than I am
#5KurinzoPosted 8/9/2009 11:35:49 PM
If you're trying to fool someone with a friendly disguise, don't pull your watch out until you take a few hits. Makes your feign-death look more believable.

This is an example of how to suck with the Dead Ringer. You will never convince a good player it's real and even if you could it's a waste. Besides ragdolls flying around left and right with it, giving it away, the cloak noise means they will know a Dead Ringer is around before you could possibly stab anyone. Besides that, the point of the DR is not to fake death, but to take hits. Suddenly that random crit rocket hardly scratches you. Now, that failstab doesn't mean you die. It lets the Spy take obscene amounts of damage without dying, especially when escaping after a kill(ing streak).

Do not ruin this by letting yourself take extra damage for no real advantage. Bad players won't give it a second thought if you die fast anyway.
---
the more balls you have, the more damage your move does.
#6moon1244Posted 8/9/2009 11:49:46 PM
DR never fools a good player, unless you get lucky and your ragdoll doesn't betray you. Always act under the assumption that they know you aren't dead. Actually, when playing Spy, always act under the assumption that they know there's a Spy.

Use alternative routes. If you have to cloak, shake people off like you would with the IW(except that you don't flash and you make a really ****ing loud noise on decloaking). Try to recharge before/while you make your move behind enemy lines.
---
I wish I were what I was when I was trying to become what I am now.
#7Jared SolPosted 8/10/2009 1:13:56 AM
This is an example of how to suck with the Dead Ringer. You will never convince a good player it's real and even if you could it's a waste. Besides ragdolls flying around left and right with it, giving it away, the cloak noise means they will know a Dead Ringer is around before you could possibly stab anyone. Besides that, the point of the DR is not to fake death, but to take hits. Suddenly that random crit rocket hardly scratches you. Now, that failstab doesn't mean you die. It lets the Spy take obscene amounts of damage without dying, especially when escaping after a kill(ing streak).

I lol'd. When you're in the enemy base, it isn't about faking death, but successful infiltration requires a decent feign death.

At any rate, the best method of infiltration is to disguise as a friendly class (I like the pyro, but a scout, medic or huntsman sniper works too), run into the line of fire, and then make a convincing feign death. After that, immediately run to the nearest ammo respawn, apply an appropriate enemy disguise, and then decloak.

Good players will try and hunt you down, but so long as you permanently keep yourself at 100% cloak, that won't matter. I've had two pyros and their medics chasing me, and I still managed to empty a cart and destroy a sentry nest.
---
[~UK Gamer~]
Violently indifferent