This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need tips on how to aim with scout.

#1The_masked_DSPosted 4/8/2010 5:43:28 AM
Alright so, i've played Scout a lot, never/hardly been on the lower half of the scoreboard. However this is mainly due to dodging and getting lucky, i have to unload 4 shots and maybe the occasional pistol finisher. I cannot aim at all. I've tried experimenting with my sensitivity, turned mouse acceleration off and changed my crosshairs. I usually hit maybe an 80 first, then a few 20's and 30's.

I've played Scout for over 200 hours and it's my most played class. Problem is, i still can't aim, maybe i'm not timing it right, maybe i'm trying to twitch shoot too much. Does anybody have any tips? What are your proffered ways to aim as scout?
---
ARE YOU OKAY?!!?! BUSTA WOLF!!!!
#2viperesquePosted 4/8/2010 5:52:19 AM
I'm not really sure what to say other than...practise. Obviously you've done that. But, I mean, the scattergun is hitscan, it's not like there's any leading that you have to do, except a small amount to compensate for ping. You have damage numbers on, yes? Just see exactly what you have to do to get the most damage out of each shot, and keep doing it!

Also, twitch shooting should actually be easier to aim with. =/

---
<Seeker> [14:44]: high five, bladder, together we are comic geniuses
#3twinsfan19Posted 4/8/2010 5:55:02 AM
1) Stop changing your sensitivity. Set it to something pretty low that still feels ok to your arm, and stick w/ that for a long while. Your mind needs time to adjust to that sensitivity...its all about muscle memory.

2) Use a small crosshair. I don't really care what, as long as it is small. Its easier to aim accurately if you can see your target.

3) Make sure you're getting as many FPS out of your hardware as possible. Make sure your monitor is using the highest refresh rate it can on your current resolution.

4) MOST importantly, learn to use your strafe to aim when fighting. Dodge back and forth, only shooting when your strafing brings them into your crosshair.

5) Against hitscan classes, use a quick, studdering, back-and-forth movement (except against Heavy, where you need to get in close and jump all around him) and don't jump much, except perhaps when you need to make time to reload.

6) Against projectile classes, make your strafes longer and only jump if you need to avoid a rocket / sticky / pipe that is going to hit you.
---
Currently Playing: TF2, Fallout 3 (again), Borderlands (all on PC)
#4twinsfan19Posted 4/8/2010 5:55:58 AM
p.s. this may be obvious from the above, but most good scouts do not twitch aim much...its more of a tracking aim.
---
#5The_masked_DS(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2010 6:00:41 AM
Alright thanks.

Oh and, i guess i'll try to tone down the twitching, i just feel that if i don't twitch the enemy has much more time to kill me.

Would you recommend me looking into frag videos to see how other scouts play?
---
#6The_masked_DS(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2010 6:10:29 AM
How does one deal with a jumping all over the place scout, as a scout?
---
#7twinsfan19Posted 4/8/2010 6:38:12 PM
Jumping scouts? Meh, idk...I find it usually pretty easy to just shoot them out of the air. That's why I don't recommend jumping while in scout v scout unless you need to find time to reload.

As for frag videos, watching one or two of them can be good. Sometimes I feel like it helps my aim if I'm in a slump and I watch a frag vid by a good scout. Look for the Meatshot videos by Carnage...he's got great aim.

However, watching demos is also important if you want to improve. Good scouts do other things besides aim well that make them good scouts. Check out Gotfrag or ESportsEA for TF2 demos of good scouts.
---
#8twinsfan19Posted 4/8/2010 6:39:40 PM
ps if you post your steam name I'll friend you and maybe sometime I can find time to help you. Although you'll probably out-aim me, since I don't really play scout much anymore :P ... I'm sure I'm rusty.
---
#9CujoEtner9327Posted 4/8/2010 7:02:39 PM

How does one deal with a jumping all over the place scout, as a scout?

Follow their trajectory and aim where they'll land, easy target.
---
last.fm/user/CujoEtner
#10gbeastmegaman1Posted 4/8/2010 7:06:32 PM
Move your mouse accordingly to your enemies position. Then click.