This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Cow Mangler *slightly* nerfed... Your thoughts?

#1stonelikearockPosted 7/22/2011 11:44:24 PM
So, as we all probably know by now, the Cow Mangler received a bit of a nerf yesterday. Damage ramp-up was decreased from 150% down to 125%, the rate of the standard launcher, effectively making it so that the Mangler actually does 90% damage. Also, reloading is now 5% slower. What I'm wondering is what everyone here thinks of it: is it balanced now? still OP? never OP to begin with?

Me personally, it's just a little OP. They're heading in the right direction, but I'd like to see those percentages increase a little... maybe 80-85% damage and a 10% slower reload.
#2txjdgreatPosted 7/23/2011 12:00:49 AM
The thing I am wondering is... have all the people crying for nerfs actually tried the weapon?
---
I just hate the bottom of my posts looking like a signature, so here's a signature so it doesn't look like one.
#3LeagultPosted 7/23/2011 12:07:01 AM
It's still kinda OP. The 5 rocket size makes up for the slower reloading. And the fact that you can disable a sentry from long range takes away the spy's job. Some people say that the fact that you can't destroy buildings is a huge drawback, but it's rare to be alone vs a sentry, you can just have someone else destroy it after it's disabled.
#4The Velvet RopePosted 7/23/2011 12:19:24 AM
They didn't change the weapon at all, just listed the values.
---
Join me at board 573070. Life is too long to go through it recklessly.
#5stonelikearock(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2011 12:20:56 AM

In the first update all they did was list the values, but in the second reload time and rampup damage were decreased and a bug that made the minicrits more powerful than they should be was fixed.
#6angry_cowtipperPosted 7/23/2011 12:23:03 AM
Leagult posted...
It's still kinda OP. The 5 rocket size makes up for the slower reloading. And the fact that you can disable a sentry from long range takes away the spy's job. Some people say that the fact that you can't destroy buildings is a huge drawback, but it's rare to be alone vs a sentry, you can just have someone else destroy it after it's disabled.

Such drama and BS

1) The Ambassador does not take away the sniper's job. The dispenser does not take away the medic's job. What you have is a severely weakened version of what the spy does. You can't "sap and forget" like you can as a spy, the spy is still needed. This statement is ridiculous. Yes, when a sentry is down, you can have teammates shoot at it, it's still probably getting repaired. If you have this type of team coordination, it is still probably better to send a spy in to sap while you shoot so that he's actually damaging it too.

2) Do you play soldier often? Have you played with this weapon? Have you seen an opposing engineer plop a minisentry down and start shooting you and had to retreat because you knew there was nothing you could do about it (besdies retreat to a corner, start a charge shot, hope you're not confronted in the meantime, then hit it with that charge shot, and hope you can take it down by shooting your shotgun at it like mad while the engineer is dumping his into you)? Not only this, but as a soldier, you encounter sentries all the time. Not being able to take down a sentry is a big deal, as the soldier is needed to shoot at them quickly with ease out of their range.
---
PSN/Steam: angry_cowtipper GT: Shifty Shrew.
PS3: Uncharted 3 Beta, TF2; PSP: Jeanne D'Arc; PC: Amnesia, TF2; 360: No games
#7LeagultPosted 7/23/2011 12:28:23 AM
angry_cowtipper posted...
Leagult posted...

Such drama and BS

1) The Ambassador does not take away the sniper's job. The dispenser does not take away the medic's job. What you have is a severely weakened version of what the spy does. You can't "sap and forget" like you can as a spy, the spy is still needed. This statement is ridiculous. Yes, when a sentry is down, you can have teammates shoot at it, it's still probably getting repaired. If you have this type of team coordination, it is still probably better to send a spy in to sap while you shoot so that he's actually damaging it too.

2) Do you play soldier often? Have you played with this weapon? Have you seen an opposing engineer plop a minisentry down and start shooting you and had to retreat because you knew there was nothing you could do about it (besdies retreat to a corner, start a charge shot, hope you're not confronted in the meantime, then hit it with that charge shot, and hope you can take it down by shooting your shotgun at it like mad while the engineer is dumping his into you)? Not only this, but as a soldier, you encounter sentries all the time. Not being able to take down a sentry is a big deal, as the soldier is needed to shoot at them quickly with ease out of their range.

I was just joking.
#8The Velvet RopePosted 7/23/2011 12:29:39 AM
stonelikearock posted...

In the first update all they did was list the values, but in the second reload time and rampup damage were decreased and a bug that made the minicrits more powerful than they should be was fixed.

Have they not updated the wiki yet then?
---
Join me at board 573070. Life is too long to go through it recklessly.
#9Board_hunter567Posted 7/23/2011 10:23:46 AM(edited)
Still seems a little OP to me (this was essentially the Tomislav's nerf), but at least people stopped using it as much since the nerf.
It's like they don't even bother to see that not much has changed, yet go "WELP, WEAPON SUCKS NOW BACK TO DH."

angry_cowtipper posted...
2) Do you play soldier often? Have you played with this weapon? Have you seen an opposing engineer plop a minisentry down and start shooting you and had to retreat because you knew there was nothing you could do about it (besdies retreat to a corner, start a charge shot, hope you're not confronted in the meantime, then hit it with that charge shot, and hope you can take it down by shooting your shotgun at it like mad while the engineer is dumping his into you)?

Actually, I got into a pretty good rhythm of taking out the Engineer and disabling the minisentry with the charge blast, then finishing the sentry with the shotty. Like I said though, now that people think it's nerfed, people won't take the time to get really good with it, so it's essentially been fixed.
#10Falco_TaverenPosted 7/23/2011 10:08:12 AM
It's still the superior weapon by far when you don't have to deal with sentries.
---
"Buying a new Pokemon game is like buying a more expensive hooker: sure, it looks better, but you're still going to catch the same old things."