This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

tf2 trading terms?

#1jankuserPosted 1/4/2012 6:25:33 AM
I was on tf2trading post and i have no idea what i am reading or how the currency works...can someone break it down or give me a link explaining this?
#2n00bifierPosted 1/4/2012 6:32:16 AM
What's not to get? Ref = Refined metal, Rec = Reclaimed metal, 0.33 Ref = 1 Reclaimed, 0.11 Ref = 1 scrap, that sort of thing?
---
This is "Whose Fortress is it Anyway?" The game where everything's made up and the points don't matter. - Chunhwa
#30o_ZeroWing_o0Posted 1/4/2012 10:03:07 AM(edited)
Ref = Refined Metal. Combine 3 reclaimed to get this. (see "rec")
Rec = Reclaimed Metal. Combine 3 scrap metal to get this (see "scrap")
Scrap = Scrap Metal. Combine 2 weapons from the same class to get this.
Ex. I have 2 buff banners, I want to make a scrap metal. Go to crafting and then click "Smelt scrap metal" To make it.

With these terms, you can see if someone is saying something like this = "0.66 ref" you know 0.66 is 2/3 since you past 5th grade, you can see that 0.66 ref = 2 rec. Most people WILL trade like that, saying "I have 0.66 ref" Or "0.11 ref".
0.11 ref is just another way of saying scrap metal.

Here are some trading terms:
LF = Looking for
FT = For trade
PC = Price chek. People looking for the price of the item.

Ex = LF: Spy cicle FT: 1 ref (One refined metal)

---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfeyUGZt8nk
#4neko_9Posted 1/4/2012 11:07:16 AM
There's also buds, bills, and keys, but unless you want to go into higher level trading you won't really need to worry about that.

Key=2.33-2.66 Ref or $2.50 in the store
Bill's hat=Usually about 8 keys
Buds=around 2.5 Bills (2 hats + some extra)

Unusual hats are typically bought with Buds, Bills, and Keys.

Other terms you might want to look out for:

Scrapbanking: someone who is a scrapbanker is willing to trade 2 random weapons for a scrap, usually for the purpose of profit (sell weapons for a scrap each) or on the rare occasion out of kindness. They're useful if you have a lot of random weapons you can't craft into scraps. It's also a good way to make a small profit if you're just starting.

Clean: An item that doesn't have the "Gifted from:" text in the description.

Dirty: An item that does have the "Gifted from:" text in the description. Generally are usually items that are not tradeable and require gift wrap to trade. Since gift wrap costs money to purchase, these items are typically less valuable than their "clean" counterparts.

That's all you should know for now, check the wiki for more info:
http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Trading

and dare I say...the unofficial and less reliable wiki has some useful info:
http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Trading
#5rockerdood64Posted 1/4/2012 10:58:24 PM
Dirty can also refer to items that are uncraftable.
---
TWSSted
#6vidgameking84Posted 1/4/2012 11:02:35 PM
Also you can refer to this to make sure you arn't getting ripped off:
http://tf2spreadsheet.blogspot.com/

Just keep in mind that all prices are subjective, but that's a good jumping off point.
---
aka The Marvelous Breadfish
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Sushimomioma
#7XDummyXPosted 1/5/2012 12:33:16 AM
neko_9 posted...
There's also buds, bills, and keys, but unless you want to go into higher level trading you won't really need to worry about that.

Key=2.33-2.66 Ref or $2.50 in the store
Bill's hat=Usually about 8 keys
Buds=around 2.5 Bills (2 hats + some extra)

Unusual hats are typically bought with Buds, Bills, and Keys.

Other terms you might want to look out for:

Scrapbanking: someone who is a scrapbanker is willing to trade 2 random weapons for a scrap, usually for the purpose of profit (sell weapons for a scrap each) or on the rare occasion out of kindness. They're useful if you have a lot of random weapons you can't craft into scraps. It's also a good way to make a small profit if you're just starting.

Clean: An item that doesn't have the "Gifted from:" text in the description.

Dirty: An item that does have the "Gifted from:" text in the description. Generally are usually items that are not tradeable and require gift wrap to trade. Since gift wrap costs money to purchase, these items are typically less valuable than their "clean" counterparts.

That's all you should know for now, check the wiki for more info:
http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Trading

and dare I say...the unofficial and less reliable wiki has some useful info:
http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Trading

As an addendum:

Clean usually means that the item is craftable, if its not it will say so in the description so look carefully. I also however wouldnt call something gifted clean, but not exactly dirty either for reasons ill explain below.

Gifted items, items wrapped using 'gift wrapping' from the mann co store do have specific text in the items description. If the gifted item was craftable it will still be after it is gifted. If it was uncraftable before it will remain that way. The main purpose of gift wrap is to trade certain 'untradeable' items. So not something you usually need)

Just to be clear, the Scrapbanker is the person with the scrap metal who is trading it away for 2 clean(craftable) weapons.

Basically its an equivalent trade. Any 2 craftable weapons, which are weapons that are not bought through the store, that are used by the same class can be made into scrap. Now anyone can do that themself, but the reason people look for scrapbankers is that its either faster for them than hassling with the craft menu or they have an odd mix of weapons. Like a sniper and scout weapon. You cant craft them into a scrap because theyre different but a scrapbanking probably could because they usually have multiple 'extra' weapons for every class.
#8XDummyXPosted 1/5/2012 12:33:20 AM
As to why you would want to scrapbank... i can think of 3 primary reasons.

1) Getting their own 'personal' weapons cheap. If someone is new, and has no weapons or made scrap from saved up duplicates they can buy 1 key from the store. Wait 2 days for it to become tradeable and sell it EASILY for 2.33 ref. (2 refined and 1 reclaimed) If you scrapbanking all 2.33 ref that is equal to 42 weapons. Now, youre going to get lots of dupes from that, which you can craft together to re-scrapbank at no net loss in metal to you and you keep looking for weapons you dont have all the while keeping some on hand to sell(point 2).

2) MOST Regular weapons, when people are looking to buy them specifically, can be bought for 1 scrap. Now if they wanted to they could scrapbanking and recycle the ones they werent looking for waiting to get lucky but, theres quite a few weapons and lots of duplicates. So the scrapbanker basically, makes each weapons sold a 1 weapon profit.(because he buys 2 random ones for 1 scrap and collectively sells both for 1 scrap each)

3) Crafting fodder, and im specifically adressing weapons here not hats or misc. crafts. Im personally at this point in my tf2 career. Now, ill say this now because its important. Anything besides crafting weapons into metal, and smaller metal into bigger metal (like 3 scrap to a reclaimed) is a total f***ing waste most of the time, and most of the time is all it takes to make you poor. To craft all weapons it takes FAR more than the 1 scrap you could buy them for to actually craft them. And many are done through terrible random chance recipies.

Now the reason you would want to do this is that there are a select few weapons only attainable through crafting or trading(as opposed to random drops which is the normal way), most of which are reskins but 'different' weapons no less. Here they are:

- Three Rune Blade - Scout reskin of the boston basher, 1/9 chance costs 8 weapons worth to attempt to craft
- Unarmed combat - Scout reskin of the Holy Mackeral, 1/9 chance costs 8 weapons worth to attempt to craft
- Maul - Pyro reskin of the Homewrecker, 1/7 chance costs 8 weapons worth to attempt to craft
- Apoco-Fists - Heavy sorta reskin of the Fists, 1/7 chance costs 8 weapons worth to attempt to craft
- Wanga Prick - Spy reskin of the YER, 1/6 chance costs 8 weapons worth to attempt to craft
- Sharp Dresser - Spy reskin of the Knife, 1/6 chance costs 8 weapons worth to attempt to craft

- ***Rocket Jumper - Special Soldier rocket launcher, 1/6 chance costs 8 weapons worth to attempt to craft

- ***Sticky Jumper - Special Demoman stickybomb launcher, 1/4 chance costs 8 weapons worth to attempt to craft

*** Both of these otherwise craft only weapons can be bought from the mann co store where the others cant. Thought they will be uncraftable like other weapons bought from the store theyre both really fun. If you were gonna buy something from the store id reccommend them. You can also find people selling uncraftable versions in game in trade servers for around 1-2 rec.

Special cases

-Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker (Demoman reskin of the Eyelander)
Requires haunted metal scrap you earn, only once, from a certain achievemnt. 100% recipe though you can use the scrap for a hat instead.

-Fishcake (Heavy reskin of the Dalokahs Bar)
Requires items to craft you earn buy getting certain achievements in another steam game called Spacechem.

Ive come close too but never accidentally traded for uncraftable weapons.(though ive had people try to fleece me and say 'nice' when i caught it). I did recently take a risk and scrapbank a couple gifted weapons. Why someone would want to waste giftwrap on a regular drop weapon i dont know but when you craft them together they lose their gift text so you get claen normal scrap. Just thought id mention it.