The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it just me or is the close combat set for Demo nearly complete trash?

#1SamStone22Posted 6/19/2012 6:50:53 AM
It seems like I always do far better with the stock set than with the Eyelander/Shield combo. It just does not seem to be worth it to mess around with that head collecting garbage to get more health when competent players can usually kill you before you have time to get more than 1-2 heads. My k/d ratio is always terrible with the Demoknight set but when I switch over to the stock, it's at least decent. So am I just bad with the Demoknight stuff or are the people who say that the set is trash right?
---
I make a topic in Final Fantasy 12 to ask if Tifa! They said no Tifa. Hardness gone!-gandob
#2kirbyeatsbombsPosted 6/19/2012 6:52:43 AM
Once you have 4 heads, switch to stickies and you have a demo with 210 health running around with the stock set and a better melee weapon to boot. There is the way to play demoknight.
---
DrFeelgood1984 is a bro
#3halomonkey1_3_5Posted 6/19/2012 7:00:55 AM
Stock GL+Targe+Eyelander can be an amazing combo on offense(for Payload or A/D), the first two heads can be tricky but after that you have more health than stock and have fire+explosive resistance, which can make you pretty damn hard to kill, especially once you get to 4 heads and move like a cheetah with more health then a soldier.

though it does take some getting used to(timing your crit swings) since you probably wont get any shield bash damage from the targe, and unless you can get bodyshots with the GL you'll feel helpless in combat.
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#4arleasPosted 6/19/2012 8:01:20 AM
Also if you want to be extra cheezy, you can use the eyelander and splendid screen.... each head powers up the shield bash and after 4 or 5 heads you're killing most people with the shield bash alone...

But really you answered yourself:

use it when you're not up against competent players... And especially use it when there are dead ringer spies about.... 2 for 1 special on heads.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1846063869.png
#5SamStone22(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2012 1:01:37 PM
From: kirbyeatsbombs | Posted: 6/19/2012 8:52:43 AM | #002
Once you have 4 heads, switch to stickies and you have a demo with 210 health running around with the stock set and a better melee weapon to boot. There is the way to play demoknight.

Yeah, Baked told me about that, but I never can seem to get enough heads when up against good players.
---
I make a topic in Final Fantasy 12 to ask if Tifa! They said no Tifa. Hardness gone!-gandob
#6UryvichkPosted 6/19/2012 2:20:46 PM
Good players know the shield charge is your only way to reach them and will range-heckle you. You will never, ever beat a good Scout as a pure melee Demoman. With the GL/LnL, maybe if you're good. Without it? No prayer. A good Scout can literally not fail to kill you. I'm not saying you can't kill Scouts, just that you won't kill the ones that understand your massive limitations.

If you're up against this caliber of play, nothing you do as a Demoknight will stop it. So unless you can consistently get 2-4 heads before being killed, which won't happen in the circumstances I described, don't bother.
#7BakedStuffEtcPosted 6/19/2012 2:34:10 PM
kirbyeatsbombs posted...

Yep. This is the only good use of any Demoknight weapons, the rest are garbage. Screen/Targe and Eyelander all the way

Even if you only get two heads and switch back, you have 5 extra health, run at Medic speed, and a better melee wep
---
My opinion is objective fact. If you disagree, well, you're wrong.
#8BakedStuffEtcPosted 6/19/2012 2:45:48 PM
SamStone22 posted...

Yeah, Baked told me about that, but I never can seem to get enough heads when up against good players.

It's definitely a risk/reward thing for sure. Most of the time you're going to have to evaluate the class composition of the enemy team, and whether or not it'll be worth losing stickies for X amount of time to get those heads, or if you can even get them in the first place. For example if the other team has a Dead Ringer Spy that's pretty much a free two heads right there, but if they have 3 Pyros instead, Demoknight is probably not a good a idea

It's always a good idea if there's an opposing Eyelander Demo with heads though. Kill him and you have AT LEAST 2 heads right off the bat.
---
My opinion is objective fact. If you disagree, well, you're wrong.
#9SamStone22(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2012 4:47:19 PM
From: BakedStuffEtc | Posted: 6/19/2012 4:45:48 PM | #008
SamStone22 posted...

It's definitely a risk/reward thing for sure. Most of the time you're going to have to evaluate the class composition of the enemy team, and whether or not it'll be worth losing stickies for X amount of time to get those heads, or if you can even get them in the first place. For example if the other team has a Dead Ringer Spy that's pretty much a free two heads right there, but if they have 3 Pyros instead, Demoknight is probably not a good a idea

It's always a good idea if there's an opposing Eyelander Demo with heads though. Kill him and you have AT LEAST 2 heads right off the bat.

Managed to do it a little while ago against decent-good players and got 4 heads. After it happened and I switched back to the Stickies, I didn't die again that entire match.
---