This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Playing mvm just with friends...

#1tarzanmxPosted 8/15/2012 11:29:59 PM
We've tried to do the simple deal of one making a listen server from the main menu and trying to get the others to join, but it didn't work. One of my friends is somewhat experienced on the matter and tried tweaking some stuff but we were never able to join his game.

This is the first time we've ever tried this out...
How can we do it? Is it something about the ports?
---
My Glaceon's name's the same as one in a fanfic!<3 Sasha
::Official Glaceon of the B&W Board:: People who get : 5
#2Lazy_HaarPosted 8/15/2012 11:39:58 PM
I actually just finished creating my own server on my comp tonight, just so I could play a quick match with a few local friends. Here's the best help I can give:

Download/install the software linked in the main post here - I didn't even bother making the server.cfg text file like it said and had no trouble starting a match. Just keep in mind that it took me a good hour or two to download everything it needed for the server:

http://forums.srcds.com/viewtopic/5439

As for port forwarding, use the following link by selecting your router, then selecting Team Fortress 2 (or Steam Servers) from the list:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/default.htm

Good luck - you'll need it.
#3Falco_TaverenPosted 8/16/2012 12:27:21 AM
Keep in mind there will be extremely noticeable stuttering if your computer is not a powerhouse.
---
"Buying a new Pokemon game is like buying a more expensive hooker: sure, it looks better, but you're still going to catch the same old things."
#4paxtaxPosted 8/16/2012 12:53:44 AM(edited)

You can still use the Source Dedicated server 2007 tool provided without downloading and updating through the srcds update tool which in my opinion is horrible.

To fix the issue with the Steam validation you could make a batch

@echo off
cls
echo Protecting srcds from crashes...
echo If you want to close srcds and this script, close the srcds window and type Y depending on your language followed by Enter.
title srcds.com Watchdog
:srcds
echo (%time%) srcds started.

echo 440> steam_appid.txt
start /wait srcds.exe -console -steam -game tf +map cp_dustbowl +maxplayers 32 +password oogabooga
echo (%time%) WARNING: srcds closed or crashed, restarting.
goto srcds

Put that in notepad, save as, all files and name it anything.bat(anything being anything) and you should have a file ready to run the server. Just be sure to save it in the source 2007 dedicated server folder after making it.

After that just double click the file when done and everything should be running although in a crude way(think cmd) You can input text on the bottom of the server screen to put in commands like a different password, map, anything and still have it dedicated. I ran a server for around 5-6 hours today, no crashes, no lag, no anything with a full house.

Also port forwarding should be a given on this issue Usually port 27015 tcp/udp
---
[3 GHZ Phenom II X4 945 AM3][1GB XFX HD5770][500 GB HD][4 GB 800mhz DDR2 RAM][650W PSU][Biostar TA790GXE]
#5Lazy_HaarPosted 8/16/2012 3:34:34 PM
paxtax posted...

You can still use the Source Dedicated server 2007 tool provided without downloading and updating through the srcds update tool which in my opinion is horrible.

To fix the issue with the Steam validation you could make a batch

@echo off
cls
echo Protecting srcds from crashes...
echo If you want to close srcds and this script, close the srcds window and type Y depending on your language followed by Enter.
title srcds.com Watchdog
:srcds
echo (%time%) srcds started.

echo 440> steam_appid.txt
start /wait srcds.exe -console -steam -game tf +map cp_dustbowl +maxplayers 32 +password oogabooga
echo (%time%) WARNING: srcds closed or crashed, restarting.
goto srcds

Put that in notepad, save as, all files and name it anything.bat(anything being anything) and you should have a file ready to run the server. Just be sure to save it in the source 2007 dedicated server folder after making it.

After that just double click the file when done and everything should be running although in a crude way(think cmd) You can input text on the bottom of the server screen to put in commands like a different password, map, anything and still have it dedicated. I ran a server for around 5-6 hours today, no crashes, no lag, no anything with a full house.

Also port forwarding should be a given on this issue Usually port 27015 tcp/udp

That would've helped me last night - I couldn't find a fix for the Steam validation error. Thanks, nonetheless!