This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is arbitrary, subjective value so controlling in this economy?

#1The_HeapPosted 11/20/2012 10:23:27 AM
I see it all the time. Some guy on a trade server was looking for a price estimate on his halloween unusual Madame Dixie, and people were downplaying the price sometimes 10 buds less than the usual halloween unusual price simply because it was a "crap hat." I could understand it was an effect that nearly no one liked or was common place, but come on. This isn't the only case I've seen it. Quite a lot of people are prone to establishing certain hats as "crap" for ridiculous/petty reasons--I could understand if there was clipping issues with the hat (like the Anger, which is actually one of the most expensive hats in the game) or if it meshed poorly with the effect, but come on.
---
ioioioioioio man
The Heap is short for heap of BS ~Slyfox729
#2AdmiralDigglerPosted 11/20/2012 10:24:16 AM
Well because if everyone wants a certain hat and if another guy has that certain hat then everyone has to play by his rules or they just aren't getting the hat they want.
---
The walked in was......................Marise Krismas!
Get in the bin.
#3InfernoCrossingPosted 11/20/2012 11:12:42 AM
What was the effect?

Even a Burning Flames Respectless Rubber Glove only gets ~5 buds.
---
http://i44.tinypic.com/jskg79.jpg | http://i53.tinypic.com/6zu1wp.jpg
Tsukasa > Kagami
#4Falco_TaverenPosted 11/20/2012 11:21:17 AM
AdmiralDiggler posted...
Well because if everyone wants a certain hat and if another guy has that certain hat then everyone has to play by his rules or they just aren't getting the hat they want.

Actually the best diggler post ever.

Well done, Diggler.
---
"Buying a new Pokemon game is like buying a more expensive hooker: sure, it looks better, but you're still going to catch the same old things."
#5GastroidPosted 11/20/2012 11:28:18 AM
What do you mean with this economy? All economies are essentially based on arbitrary, subjective values and expectations, with math thrown in for giggles.
---
Omnoid
Omni-variant Android
#6DesaimaPosted 11/20/2012 11:29:02 AM(edited)
Supply and demand. That's how working economies work. Even if this is a gimped imposter of an economy the fundamental is the same.
#7crunchyfrog99Posted 11/20/2012 11:42:16 AM

Touhou.
---
crunchyfrog99's Quest for Making the Gamefaqs Fantasy/Sci-Fi Board Alive Again. PM If you want to join me on my quest! People who have joined so far: 4
#8AdmiralDigglerPosted 11/20/2012 12:01:46 PM
crunchyfrog99 posted...

Touhou.

SECRETLY.
---
The walked in was......................Marise Krismas!
Get in the bin.
#9FancyButtsPosted 11/20/2012 12:52:18 PM(edited)
Desaima posted...
Supply and demand. That's how working economies work. Even if this is a gimped imposter of an economy the fundamental is the same.

People in this game always use that as an excuse but don't seem to understand the demand part. They get as far as "I HAVE THIS RARE ITEM" and then go "I KNOW I'LL CHARGE A BILLION KEYS" then traverse every trade server even though it's clear no one wants the item for that price, until they find the one kid desperate/gullible enough enough.

EDIT: Plus people still worship the spreadsheet even though it's been proven he manipulates and controls prices for personal gain. And backpack isn't that much better since for the most part people just look at the spreadsheet and go "Well people are charging X" resulting in generally the same prices
---
If my words offend you, get off the internet.
#10The_Heap(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2012 12:42:21 PM(edited)
What do you mean with this economy? All economies are essentially based on arbitrary, subjective values and expectations, with math thrown in for giggles.

Think about it like this Lots of people like McDonalds. However, McDonalds food takes no culinary skill to make in abundance, so it's cheap.

In TF2, despite something being extremely hard to acquire, it's worth is almost entirely determined by it's "demand" (aesthetics) rather than it's rarity.
---
ioioioioioio man
The Heap is short for heap of BS ~Slyfox729