This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm about to start playing TF2 this week. What class should I play as?

#1DreamTheater96Posted 1/20/2013 4:36:00 PM
I'm going to try each class out of course, but I want to get an idea beforehand. I want a class that is pretty easy to learn but really challenging to master. And I'd prefer to be able to be powerful in direct combat. I'm thinking Demoman or Soldier would be good fits. Does that sound about right?
#2makedouniaPosted 1/20/2013 4:39:30 PM
Soldier would be a good class for you.
#3WarVeterinarianPosted 1/20/2013 5:06:13 PM(edited)
Yep, Soldier and Demoman are pretty good choices.

Soldier is an all-around combat class. Demoman is essentially a spammer and indirect fire class, but also has some direct combat capabilities if you have good aim and prediction. Learn to use the Sticky Launcher as your primary, though.
---
I am a signature virus, please put me in your signature to help me spread!
#4Oil_Rope_BombsPosted 1/20/2013 4:57:26 PM
will you be f2p

essential info
---
http://i.imgur.com/yKMR7.png
http://i.imgur.com/mLCkc.png http://i.imgur.com/Ut1W5.gif
#5DreamTheater96(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 5:05:07 PM
Oil_Rope_Bombs posted...
will you be f2p

essential info

For a while, yeah. But I'll probably eventually purchase the cheapest thing possible to become premium.
#6WarVeterinarianPosted 1/20/2013 5:17:41 PM(edited)
DreamTheater96 posted...
Oil_Rope_Bombs posted...
will you be f2p

essential info

For a while, yeah. But I'll probably eventually purchase the cheapest thing possible to become premium.

If you just want to become premium and nothing else, then yes, this is the best thing to do

If you want the best value for money, buy a Mann Co. Key or Backpack Expander then trade them for items you need
---
I am a signature virus, please put me in your signature to help me spread!
#7SuperDS22Posted 1/20/2013 5:16:13 PM
Tip: Try to watch youtube for Spy and Engie tips and tricks as those are the 2 most yelled at classes for being bad. If you suggest "What about medic?", you just need self awareness of both your surroundings and your patient's health. Its always better to pop early than late, when he's dead.

Now about Soldier and Demo, spam spam spam, ammo is everywhere on the map, just learn where they are. Spamming is good for spy checking.
---
If you allow spawn camping, you deserve it. - SuperDS64
#8x_tremechaosPosted 1/20/2013 6:11:29 PM
Soldier is perhaps the best class for a new player to get accustomed to the game with. You're slow, but not that slow, and speed is something you can easily change with rocket jumps (you can do that without immediately killing yourself in this game, but anything more than 3 rocket jumps is going to kill you without a certain item). His health is enough that you know when to get out of a fight and your weapon is by far the most effective since rockets do more damage than I would prefer.

By the way, and this is a tip I advise for all classes, if you see a Mini-Sentry, it's in your best interest to destroy it first unless it is getting sapped by a Spy. Mini-Sentries are like gravity, if the people you're fighting against don't bring you down, the Mini-Sentry will.
---
SoulSilver Nuzlocke Team: Blaze (Quilava), Rascacielo (Pidgeot), BoPeep (Ampharos), Vash (Tauros), Cielo Luce (Togetic), Sabata (Eevee)
#9neo revolutionPosted 1/21/2013 12:18:10 AM
Pub teams can always use another medic. Just be ready for people to blame you for everything
---
GamerTag: Ophiotaurus
#10Sonorous_Jon1S8Posted 1/21/2013 2:03:18 AM(edited)
Soldier and Medic. Try everything at your leisure though.
(PS dont neglect your shotgun when playing soldier, great for when you run out of loaded rockets or cleaning people up)
(PPS While you should be using your medigun most all of the time, the medics needles are great for retreating. Fire them while your backpedaling from an enemy to save your ass.)

Assuming you already have a little money in your steam wallet (or you plan on buying another steam game ever) the cheapest way to go premium is to pick out one of the 49 cent weapons, click it, and hit the 'try it out button'. Doing that gives you a discount leaving you with just a 36 cent cost to be premium and get all the benefits.