This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best Class Loadouts

#1KevinVGMPosted 1/20/2013 7:14:30 PM
Hello everyone, I've been having an argument with one of my friends regarding what weapons are best on which classes. He has his opinions, moreso in the fact saying every weapon is good, people play for fun and I shouldn't have this elitist mindset.. I am looking to start competitive TF2 however and I'd like to shut him up and show him other people's opinions so here's my thoughts.

Most of these should be self explanatory but if you need anything explained leave a comment below and I'll reply to the reasoning.

::Scout::
Primary: Scattergun
Secondary: Pretty Boy's Pocket Pistol or Mad Milk
Melee: Sandman or Atomizer

::Soldier::
Primary: Rocket Launcher or Direct Hit (if you can aim)
Secondary: Shotgun
Melee: Escape Plan

::Pyro/Pybro::
Primary: Degreaser/Degreaser
Secondary: Flare Gun/Reserve Shooter or Scorch Shot
Melee: Axtinguisher/Homewrecker

::Demoman/Demoknight::
Primary: Grenade Launcher/Loch and Load
Secondary: Sticky Bomb Launcher/Splendid Screen
Melee: Ullapool Caber/Eyelander

::Heavy::
Primary: Minigun
Secondary: Sandvich
Melee: Gloves of Running Urgently

::Engineer(defense)/Engineer(offense)::
Primary: Shotgun/Frontier Justice or Widowmaker (if you can aim)
Secondary: Wrangler/Pistol
Melee: Southern Hospitality/Gunslinger

::Medic(offense)/Medic(defense)::
Primary: Overdose/Crusader's Crossbow
Secondary: Medigun/Kritzkrieg
Melee: Ubersaw/Amputator

::Sniper::
Primary: Sniper Rifle
Secondary: Jarate
Melee: Bushwhacka

::Spy::
Primary: Enforcer or Ambassador (if you can aim)
Cloak: Dead Ringer or Invis watch
Melee: Knife or Spycicle
Sapper: Red Tape Recorder

Let me know your thoughts in the comments below, thank you.
P.S. Yes I'm in a bit of a bad mood, pardon any negativity the post contains
---
-In the end, the only person you can rely on is yourself-
"What you see is what you get, just a guy who loves adventure" Sonic: Sonic Adventure 2
#2UnrealLegendPosted 1/20/2013 7:20:00 PM
Agree with all those except for Pyro I'd do stock Shotgun over Reserve Shooter, and for Demo I'd do Bottle over Ullapool Caber.
#3peterson0120Posted 1/20/2013 8:03:00 PM
KevinVGM posted...
Hello everyone, I've been having an argument with one of my friends regarding what weapons are best on which classes. He has his opinions, moreso in the fact saying every weapon is good, people play for fun and I shouldn't have this elitist mindset.. I am looking to start competitive TF2 however and I'd like to shut him up and show him other people's opinions so here's my thoughts.

Scout
Secondary: Pretty Boy's Pocket Pistol or Mad Milk
Melee: Sandman or Atomizer

- The Scattergun's great for pretty much any situation. I don't think anyone's disputing that. I find that the Soda Popper can work fairly well with some of his other weapons, after all, mini-crits on demand? That's always good.
- PBPP and Mad Milk are both great choices for a scout as well, but I don't think they're set in stone as the best ones. Although situational, BONK! Atomic Punch has some use for getting past heavily guarded or trafficked areas and either getting past sentry nests or distracting them for your team to aim at.
- As for the melees, Sandman's awesome. The HP loss hurts, but you're often dead when you're hit anyways. I, personally, have never understood the love for the Atomizer. Yeah, you get extra mobility, but at the cost of hurting yourself for the 3rd jump. Great if you have a pocket medic with the Quickfix (Lol) or have spare overheal to burn, though. I find some use in the Candy Cane, personally. A small HP pack on kill may not seem like a lot, but it can save both you and your team from stuff like Afterburn, or give them that last bit of HP needed to not die from a random hit. Of course, there's the issue of the enemies using the packs...

Soldier
Primary: Rocket Launcher or Direct Hit (if you can aim)

- Rocket Launcher's the most basic launcher, and it's arguably the best one as well. I find the Direct Hit to be a bit of a downgrade most of the time. What you do hit, you either kill or deal massive damage to, but the loss of splash damage hurts a lot. Basically, it removes most of the margin of error in aiming, in exchange for massive damage and a speed increase. As most of us don't have perfect tracking, it's a lot harder to fully use to it's full ability. That, and if someone that has a more random movement pattern? Sucks to be you. I love using the Black Box. The loss of a rocket is regretful at times, but the health on hit works wonders if you don't stay with the team as much, or wander.
- The Shotgun works, but it's main use is against pyros that know how to airblast, IMO. I like to use the Gunboats. It gives you SO much more mobility for the loss of some secondary damage. The Buff Banner has uses for staying with the team and boosting them, though.
- Escape Plan. Anything else is wrong.

Pyro/Pybro
Primary: Degreaser/Degreaser
Secondary: Flare Gun/Reserve Shooter or Scorch Shot
Melee: Axtinguisher/Homewrecker

- Degreaser's pretty much the best flamethrower for Pyro.
- Flare Gun's awesome, but the RS and the SS are situational. The RS is good in the hands of someone that can airblast well, but you lose damage against people farther away. SS's good against crowds of enemies amd for screwing with the other team's brains, but of little use otherwise. I recommend the Shotgun as an alternative to the RS and SS. More consistent for damaging.
- Axtinguisher perfect on all loadouts for Pyro. As for Pybro, the Homewrecker is perfect.

Demoman/Demoknight
Primary: Grenade Launcher/Loch and Load
Secondary: Sticky Bomb Launcher/Splendid Screen
Melee: Ullapool Caber/Eyelander

- Not much for me to argue with here. Stock, Stock, Caber's great all the time.
- LL, SS, and Eyelander is probably the best loudout for demoknighting as well. LL for burst damage when needed, SS for the crit boosted charge, and Eyelander for heads.
#4WarVeterinarianPosted 1/20/2013 8:14:41 PM
I agree with most. Also these loadout suggestions are mostly for alternate playstyles:

For Scout, Bonk! Atomic Punch is great for distracting opponents and sentries, and for escaping dangerous situations.

For Soldier, use Gunboats for extended mobility if you rocket jump a lot.

I'm not sure about Pyro since I don't play the class much, but I guess Reserve Shooter could do for open maps and good aim. I still prefer Shotgun though. And Neon Annihilator is good for maps with water.

For Demo, Scottish Resistance can be useful on some maps, such as defending the final point of Steel.

For Heavy, the Huo Long Heater screws with Spies and anyone trying to get near you, and you practically never run out of ammo because it's everywhere. But personally I still prefer stock Minigun for better survivability.

For Engineer, Pomson 6000 is the most OP primary weapon for the class, so that might probably be the best for some (both for offense and defense). Eureka Effect and Rescue Ranger if you're good at strategizing and planning things out.

For Medic, sometimes Vita Saw is also a good choice, depending on the situation. Blutsauger if you can aim.

For Sniper, Hitman's Heatmaker and Bazaar Bargain are pretty much straight upgrades if you can get consistent headshots.

For Spy, Your Eternal Reward if you're good at chainstabbing, and also for shutting down sentry nests much more easily.
---
I am a signature virus, please put me in your signature to help me spread!
#5peterson0120Posted 1/20/2013 8:51:42 PM
KevinVGM posted...

Heavy
Primary: Minigun
Melee: Gloves of Running Urgently

- This is all a Heavy needs. I love trolling with the Holiday Punch, though.

Engineer(defense)/Engineer(offense)
Primary: Shotgun/Frontier Justice or Widowmaker (if you can aim)
Secondary: Wrangler/Pistol
Melee: Southern Hospitality/Gunslinger

- On the primary side, it depends on what you're trying to do. The Shotgun's a good all-rounder, though. Even though it's been nerfed to hell and back, the Pompson 6000's still good for spamming and harassment as well.
- If your sentries are getting destroyed a lot, or you're running the Gunslinger, use the FJ. If you're focused on defense a bit more, I'd recommend using the Jag. Sure, you have a damage penalty, but it won't matter too much if you're smart about spychecking, or are more worried about setting up a quick defense.
- The Wrangler's a great tool. -66% damage taken, 2x fire rate, and increased rocket rate? Not to mention the aim-assist on it. The Pistol's ok, I guess. Better used on combat engies IMO.

Medic(offense)/Medic(defense)
Primary: Overdose/Crusader's Crossbow
Secondary: Medigun/Kritzkrieg
Melee: Ubersaw/Amputator

- Overdose is by far his best overall IMO. The X-Bow is good if you can aim fairly well as a medic, but you lose on the immediate self-defense when you're attacked.
- As for the Medigun vs Kritzkrieg debate, I like the Kritzkrieg a bit more. It charges a bit faster, and full crit ammo is a awesome thing to have. The Medigun's most helpful when you're being camped, hard. Or when you're going up against a monster sentry nest that no amount of crits will destroy. It's just slightly less useful overall, IMO.
- Ubersaw is the best melee, bar none. The Amputator's good with the set bonus, and it's taunt is handy, but you have to rely on your team to keep you safe while taunting.

Sniper
Primary: Sniper Rifle
Melee: Bushwhacka

- Depending on how well you can get headshots, the Bazaar Bargain can be better for use.
- Jarate and the Bushwhacka are the best in their slots as well, especially paired together.

Spy
Primary: Enforcer or Ambassador (if you can aim)
Cloak: Dead Ringer or Invis watch
Melee: Knife or Spycicle

- Pretty much this. RTR's perfect for getting rid of those fortified nests.
- DR's great for getting through heavily contested areas, and if it's used when you've been hit a few times, it makes the "death" much more believeable. The Cloak and Dagger's alright as well. Granted, most of the CnD users are too busy parking themselves in corners to be useful, but it can be helpful if a spy uses it to scout out the other team and give information about them. Invis watch works fairly well in most situations.
- The Knife and Spycicle are the best for spy. Knife has no reasons for not using it, while the downside on the Spycicle is minor most of the time, plus it gives you a few seconds worth of buffer if you get a random puff of flame to hit you to get the hell out of harm's way.
- The Enforcer's good for when you get caught and need to get back to your team, or just spamming while undisguised like so many of the fail-spies I see. Ambassador's deadly in the hand of a spy that can aim. I am leagues more afraid of an Ambassador spy that can aim than any sniper (Bar aimhackers/ God-tier snipers), just due to the fact that they can be anywhere and snipe ya.
#6GeneralFoxPosted 1/20/2013 10:07:00 PM(edited)
Best as most effective IMO:

Scout:
Secondary: Mad Milk, Pocket Pistol, Stock Pistol
Melee: Atomizer

Soldier:
Primary: Rocket Launcher / Original

Pyro:
Primary: Degreaser
Secondary: Flare Gun
Melee: Axtingwuisher / Postal Pummeler

Demoman:
Primary: Grenade Launcher
Secondary: Sticky Launcher:
Melee: Nothing really stands out here IMO

Heavy:
Primary: Sasha / Iron Curtain
Melee: GRU

Medic:
Primary: Overdose
Secondary: Stock Medigun
Melee: Ubersaw

Engineer:
Primary: Rescue Ranger / Stock Shotgun
Secondary: Wrangler
Melee: Southern Hospitality

Sniper:
Primary: Stock Sniper Rifle
Melee: Bushwacker

Spy:
Primary: Enforcer
Watch: Stock / Inviwatch
Knife: Stock

In most of the situations, I find that these stand out the best.
For Pyro, if you can aim flares you can deal with classes like heavy ( who can mow down pyro's fast ) with flares. Shotgun is still more prefered against other pyro's, but you can still widdle their HP down with flare shots until you get close enough to finish with the degreaser.

---
~Stargazer
http://m.kotaku.com/5964739/the-herd-outsiders-guide-to-the-brony-phenomenon ~ understanding the Brony Phenomenom Kotaku
#7Falco_TaverenPosted 1/20/2013 10:06:45 PM
Objective best overall loadouts incoming

Scout-
Soda Popper
Pistol
Atomizer

Soldier-
Original
Shotgun
Escape Plan

Pyro-
Degreaser
Shotgun
Axtinguisher

Demo-
Grenade Launcher
Sticky Launcher
Caber

Heavy-
Stock
Sandvich
GRU

Engineer-
Shotgun
Wrangler
Southern Hospitality

Medic-
Overdose
Medigun
Vitasaw

Sniper-
Sniper Rifle
Jarate
Bushwacka

Spy-
Ambassador
Cloak and Dagger
Knife
---
steamcommunity.com/id/j1mbosl1ce
pronounced: jih-wun-umm-bo-sluh-wunce
#8asdfggghh1Posted 1/21/2013 12:01:35 AM
The bottle is not the best melee for the Demoman.
That goes to the Frying Pan.
---
My balls do not blend.
#9Sonorous_Jon1S8Posted 1/21/2013 1:33:11 AM(edited)
KevinVGM posted...

1) Competitive and casual tf2 can coexist in the community.

2) You sound like a douche to your friend, just fyi.

3) Tell your friend every weapon having an upside is irrelevant to the discussion of the best and that its just a theoretical conversation (not a proposal to remove all other weapons).

4) Best as in most effective does not mean its a weapon prevalent in competetive tf2. (because banlists, which ideally exist to reward skill and keep things interesting)

5) Falco probably nailed it.
#10KevinVGM(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 12:50:34 PM
I appreciate all the input on the class load outs guys, and to those who said I sounded like a douche.. yeah I guess I did a little bit. However I also think in a different way then said friend does so it can occasionally become a fighting factor.

Also, to those who mentioned uses for weapons I didn't list, thank you very much, some of which I didn't even consider :) I'll be bookmarking this topic for future use.
---
-In the end, the only person you can rely on is yourself-
"What you see is what you get, just a guy who loves adventure" Sonic: Sonic Adventure 2