I miss this game very dearly.

#1megametroidPosted 3/6/2012 1:08:42 AM
I'm currently waiting for my Mass Effect 3 order to arrive, my latest gaming purchase. I love the series to death and can't wait to play it, but the sheer insanity of the fans and all of the marketing hoopla for games these days drives me nuts...I miss the old days, when to me gaming meant Nintendo, and simplicity. I realize that the Gamecube and GBA are hardly "old-school" to a lot of people, but I was in middle school back then. Metroid Prime was my first Gamecube game, packaged in with the console. It's simple to play, yet incredibly elegant. The depth of the world, the lore, and the sheer atmosphere still amaze me every time I play this game again. This game was the complete package, no fancy preorder incentives, patches, online multiplayer, or DLC to worry about. Just Metroid Prime. And Metroid Fusion was one of my first GBA games, and still probably my favorite overall. Prime 2 was pretty good, and Zero Mission was great, if super easy - but no Metroid games since Prime and Fusion have lived up for me. Prime 3 seemed way too cartoony and shooter-y from what I played, and Other M just pissed me off with it's awful anime-quality cutscenes. I did go back and play through Super Metroid on an emulator twice, and loved it.

I could say so much more about Metroid Prime, but basically I just love it. I miss the good old days of gaming when there wasn't so much extra crap to worry about. I miss good Metroid games. I realize this is not a well-constructed post at all, but it's late, I'm more than a little drunk, and I just got a huge rush of nostalgia for Metroid a little bit ago and I wanted to leave this little post here. If anyone responds, I'm sure you'll agree with my sentiments - I think message boards trolls and insanity aren't the nature of us good old Nintendo fans :)
#2Da DoodPosted 3/6/2012 10:26:36 AM
I feel the same way about Metroid Prime and overly complicated games in general. Maybe I'm just getting old. I didn't truly appreciate Prime until my second or third run, though. Hated the Artifacts. Replayed once for the hell of it, then once more, then read about a few tricks and decided to try them, and now I play this thing like 15 times a year.

I used to think Echoes was really dull the whole first half, but after learning the trick to keep all of Samus's starting items, it's a blast.

Loved Corruption and quite enjoyed Other M, though, and I know I'm in the minority. The things that bother me about those games are simply not enough to hurt the experience for me. But the complaints about them are mostly fair.
---
And this time!
#3DrumguyPosted 3/6/2012 4:30:39 PM
Da Dood posted...
Loved Corruption and quite enjoyed Other M, though, and I know I'm in the minority. The things that bother me about those games are simply not enough to hurt the experience for me. But the complaints about them are mostly fair.

I admit that I couldn't stand Other M and I got a fair distance into it. I ended up selling it, but I'm thinking about giving it another shot once I get my Wii back from Nintendo.
---
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - [NNTH]Metanoia (Ally code in profile)
#4PappinAcePosted 3/7/2012 5:34:03 PM
I used to think Echoes was really dull the whole first half, but after learning the trick to keep all of Samus's starting items, it's a blast.

Really? But that's not the way the game is meant to be played. Can you explain to a sequence breaking virgin why that makes it more fun?

TC, that's the way it is. The entire world of Metroid Prime is really special to me too, I only managed to beat it on my second try, back in my third year of high school. Such a memorable experience. I've beaten the game three times now. I still appreciate it but unfortunately I think we'll never have the magic of discovering Tallon IV for the first time ever again.
---
Hey guys, I was just being funny. LilLeo is the one who defined my sperm as being meat. -Headmasterevil
#5shadow_master01Posted 3/7/2012 8:50:34 PM
Really? But that's not the way the game is meant to be played. Can you explain to a sequence breaking virgin why that makes it more fun?
There are a lot of different reasons for people to like sequence breaking:
It could be you like to push just how fast you can beat the game
Or maybe you like to have an overpowered item earlier than you should (stares at Plasma Beam)
Or maybe you want to see just how much you can skip and still beat the game

Basicaly it gives you a new way to play and for some it breaths new life into a game they know forward and backward.

In my case, I know some of the basic sequence breaks for MP1, and am familiar with (and somewhat in awe of) many of the more advanced techniques for most of the series (most familiar with Super Metroid which is my favorite of the series but only just ahead of MP1).
---
Never let a beautiful woman pick your path for you
when there is a man in her line of sight. ~Wizards First Rule
#6Da DoodPosted 3/7/2012 8:51:20 PM
In Echoes's case in particular, Agon Wastes has a lot of tedious running around and getting the same old basic items from Prime 1. With those early items out of the way, you can breeze through the dull parts and skip straight to the great stuff.

You may also collect items and visit places out of order. It's so much fun to grab some weapons earlier than intended and skip others, you get to design your own route. The challenge is still there, since you must solve many rooms in different ways, and because you face enemies that are much stronger than you if you enter a late game area early on.

As for sequence breaking not being the intended way to play the game, well, the original route is there for you to play at any time. We're just trying to make the game more interesting. It's also closer to the Metroid tradition than the linear design of recent games.

IMO Echoes went from "quite good" to "totally freaking awesome" with these tricks. And the original Prime is now one of my top favorite games ever thanks to all the route possibilities. =)
---
And this time!
#7halo1399Posted 3/14/2012 4:54:38 PM

Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games of all time, I've beaten it like 20 times and it's still a blast to play even a decade later.

#8futureTrunks374Posted 3/22/2012 2:00:08 PM
It is, my last play through was really good since I learned how to sequence break.
---
Lah-dee-doo-dah,Lah-dee-dah
Here we are in Shangri-La...
#9ShadowMario3Posted 3/22/2012 4:14:34 PM
This is my favorite game of all time. This past Spring break, I recorded a speed run of it to see if I was rusty. Managed to get a time of 1:56, which is pretty close to my fastest time of 1:51.
#10sithmaster15Posted 4/13/2012 12:33:24 PM
I think there are two kinds of people who like this game (and all the Primes).

1. People who like it for the sequence-breaking, the boss battles, the challenge, etc.

2. People who like it for the atmosphere, the environments and creatures, the music, etc.

I belong to the second group. The unparalleled immersion is what made the game for me back when I first played it.
---
Play Metal Arms: Glitch in the System!