Margarito and Capetillo both suspended for 1 year in the US

#1Doolz2024Posted 2/10/2009 6:54:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3897765

I saw it earlier on ESPN. Do you guys think it's the appropriate punishment? I don't. I think the suspension should've applied not just in the US, but everywhere. Unfortunately, I guess this now means no Margarito-Cotto II. :(

And plus, Margarito can still fight outside of the US, so in a way, he's not even being punished. If he can still fight, then the punishment isn't good enough.

And BTW, it's great to be back to discussing boxing, isn't it guys? Today while at school, I visited the FNR4 board for the 1st time in a while....It felt wierd not seeing any boxing related threads there, you know, since that's pretty much the only thing keeping that place alive anyway.....I'd just like to know which ******* is the one that modded all of our threads. I recieved 7 System Notifications for being "off-topic". I guess Eliseo recieved a few as well, because he had a few active boxing threads at the time IIRC.

BTW as far as I know, only 5 people know about this, (Me, Airik, Edgar, Kevin, and Eliseo) and I feel like it's 5 people that can be trusted to keep this a secret. I tried to choose the most random place, just to ensure that we could discuss boxing without any fear of being modded by some ***** who decided to go cry to the mods. Hopefully we can now just freely discuss boxing, without worrying about any trolls, morons, etc disrupting us....

Anyway, it's great to be back, and I'm looking forward to the boxing discussions again with you guys! :)
---
Doolz, anything can happen. ~ RAMBO6727 ~
PSN: Doolz2024 (I have a mic)
#2kevster88Posted 2/11/2009 7:25:43 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure if the punishment was fare or not because we really don't kno if Margarito was aware that this was going on, If he did kno he should be Banned for a longer period of time, but if he didn't kno then i think @ least a year is good, It's a real touchy subject
#3Doolz2024(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2009 10:30:57 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say Margarito did know what was going on....Really doubtful that he had no idea, but then again, maybe he really didn't. Maybe Capetillo never told him about it, and maybe Margarito never asked what he was putting in his handwraps...

Again, my only gripe about the situation is the fact that he only got suspended in the US. It should have been a worldwide 1 year suspension.
---
#4kevster88Posted 2/12/2009 8:43:31 AM
Hmmmmm, Look @ what Cotto had to say about Tony

"You go into the ring thinking you're all playing by the same rules. This is sport, this isn't a slaughterhouse. This is about fighting at the best of your abilities," - Cotto

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3901282
#5Doolz2024(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2009 5:13:29 PM

Hmmmmm, Look @ what Cotto had to say about Tony

"You go into the ring thinking you're all playing by the same rules. This is sport, this isn't a slaughterhouse. This is about fighting at the best of your abilities," - Cotto

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3901282

I feel sorry for Cotto now. I think we all have to assume that Margarito had the plaster in his gloves when he fought Cotto, and if true, that definitely gave him a huge advantage. Hell, even against Cintron both of those times, I bet his hands were plastered then in both of those fights as well.
---
#6kevster88Posted 2/13/2009 8:13:42 AM
Plaster Man strikes again, lol.
Well in a weird way this kinda works out good 4 cotto, cause now people will question the 1 loss on his record
until he fights Tony again(if that even happens)
So in a way he's still somewhat undefeated in the minds of many boxing fans

Makes for a great storyline if Tony is allowed to fight in 2010(lots of drama)
#7cheo229Posted 2/13/2009 5:17:32 PM
I feel he should be banned BUT you have to be just as fair with everyone.
This means that if you ban Margarito for life, you ban Mosley for life aswell for punishing his opponents thanks to a different type of illegal substance.
I am sure that if he would've been caught against ANY other fighter, he would've gotten a permanent ban for sure.

About the ban being only in the U.S., the U.S. boxing commision can't do anything about another country's rules. The best they can do is have his Mexico fights not be endorsed by WBC/WBA/WBO but nobody cares about that and nobody cares about Margarito anymore either.

BTW, the boxing world in Mexico is governed by TOP RANK which really helps Margarito's case. Our sporting comissions can't compete against U.S. dollars.