Install without Steam

#11spardasiegPosted 6/14/2011 6:52:47 PM
eco master posted...
Tell that to the Steam community.

It's a problem enough as-is, but printing the CDs just to give you the finger when you put it in is silly. If they're going this route, just give us a key code on a piece of laminated cardboard. Don't waste more materials than you have to.

They might as well, I would not care at this point.
---
Emotional attachments to material goods!? Buddha help us all.....
-klaranim ( I quote with these things " " )
#12eco masterPosted 6/14/2011 6:54:50 PM

Careful, Eco; I think that's seriously what 2K was considering to do.

...You're kidding me, right?

Sigh. As long as alternative gameplay methods exist, I'll keep buying, I suppose.
---
http://to2is.literallyforbabies.com/to2/boards
ill be here 4 u eco jus lyk the mop on the commercial babby-wechina23
#13mjc0961Posted 6/14/2011 6:57:06 PM
eco master posted...
It's a problem enough as-is, but printing the CDs just to give you the finger when you put it in is silly. If they're going this route, just give us a key code on a piece of laminated cardboard. Don't waste more materials than you have to.

Indeed. We're seeing all these eco-friendlier cases with holes cut in them that use less plastic, and we see them trying to make smaller cases as seen with blu-ray disc cases (although why they left a spot on top with absolutely nothing in it is beyond me) and 3DS game cases. But yet we get this crap where we get a full DVD sized case, probably a cardboard slide as well (my disc version of Fallout: New Vegas had one, but to be fair, you could also install the game from that disc and skip the download which is what it's supposed to be there for), and a CD that doesn't do anything. All that wasted materials.

Just save yourselves the money and look all green by just printing the codes for these games on those cards like the one you get Xbox Live Gold or Microsoft Points from if you aren't going to let us install from the disc.
---
YOU'RE a pie chart.
#14HikikomorisamaPosted 6/14/2011 6:57:51 PM
I bought the PC DVD game and after inputing my steam code, it installed from the dvd. I even knew it was installing from the dvd because it cd drive made noises and was blinking green. You must be doing something wrong.
---
There's a penguin on the the tele!Gamertag: dysthymia7PS3: dysthymia7WII: 5896 1954 4138 0917
#15Sakazaki56Posted 6/14/2011 6:58:37 PM
Just thought I should say: yes, the disc launches Steam when you tell it to run, but it also installs off the disc through Steam (the drive was spinning the same way as when you install a disc normally, and the time for completion was about 2-3 minutes... believe me, I could not download that much data that quickly no matter how good of a day I was having with my internet connection).
#16eco masterPosted 6/14/2011 7:01:19 PM
Hm, interesting. I couldn't say for sure. I just assumed what was happening with the TC would happen to everyone.

Is there an option to use the CD or Internet to get the game files in Steam? I'm not familiar with the software, to be honest.
---
#17dzimmPosted 6/14/2011 7:03:29 PM

Grimla posted...
I just bought the DVD physical copy of Duke. When I got to install, it launches Steam then goes to download 6GB. Can't I just install from the DVD and not use Steam for this game?

Did you actually install the game or just the activate the key on Steam?

#18petes85gtPosted 6/14/2011 7:23:01 PM(edited)
dzimm posted...

Grimla posted...

I just bought the DVD physical copy of Duke. When I got to install, it launches Steam then goes to download 6GB. Can't I just install from the DVD and not use Steam for this game?

Did you actually install the game or just the activate the key on Steam?

He didn't install it from the disk. My Internet is garbage and it would have taken me days to pull a 6gig download. The update after installation is maybe 100MB.
---
battle.net -> Demonsbane
#19HappyKhickenPosted 6/14/2011 7:29:42 PM
It installs from the disc. The TC is obviously having a problem.

Although, the update after the install is downloaded through Steam.
---
__WooBarb__ : Yes. Your computer does not start. The heatsink is definately dead.
M..F..T.
#20iateyourcatPosted 6/20/2011 6:10:06 AM
eco master posted...
Tell that to the Steam community.

---

Excellent point. If you're an instant gratification junky (like I am), buying the game and expecting to play it within an hour, you tend to feel screwed. At 160KB/sec it took 16-18 hours to DL Homefront, the first game I ran into this problem with. I hadn't bought DKF yet but now I won't be. It seems to me that online validation can be accomplished without the steam client and buying a DVD that requires an additional download this large is a bait and switch.