Question About The Golden Claw In This Game (Possible Spoilers)

#1Waffle_Roffle_Posted 2/23/2009 12:32:22 PM
This is an offshoot of a discussion we have been having in the "Starting a Dealer solo" thread found here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=450388&topic=48000254

But I thought this could use its own topic.

Pleas note that this topic involves some story line towards the middle part of the game.

So what's up for discussion here is how the use of the Golden Claw differs between the NES version of this game, and this game, the GBC version of this game.

In the NES version I believe if one took the Golden Claw the monster enounter rate became every 2 to 3 steps and it was permanent and that made it hard to get out of the pyramid. But now I thin kthey changed that. In the GBC version, isn't it just in the basement where spells don't work? The enounter rate isn't as bad right? I think spells don't work in both versions of this game if you're in the Pyramid basement.

I don't want to start two whole new games to test this hypothesis so I was hoping one of our resident DW3 experts might know the answer here. Thanks. :-)
#2JoeNobodyPosted 2/23/2009 2:27:35 PM
The encounter rate is as bad, it's about every other step. However, you are correct in that magic is only disabled in the basement of the pyramid.
---
(o-o-o)-(o-o-o)-(o-o-o)-(o-o-o) (^_^)
The Bourgeoisie Train is in town! w00t!
#3JoeNobodyPosted 2/23/2009 2:31:02 PM
Oh, and I heard that if you sell the Claw, it does not fix the encounter rate. You would have to discard it (via the menu, but I doubt you'd want to do that anyway) to return the encounter rate in the pyramid back to normal. In short, I recommend doing the Golden Claw dead last in the pyramid then never going back in there again, unless you don't mind the encounter rate.
---
(o-o-o)-(o-o-o)-(o-o-o)-(o-o-o) (^_^)
The Bourgeoisie Train is in town! w00t!
#4lderivedxPosted 2/23/2009 3:52:26 PM
Spells are sealed in the basement on the GBC version.
#5_blankenstein_Posted 2/23/2009 3:53:15 PM
man, i'm playing this game for the first time right now. when i got the golden claws, i accidentally forgot to nab the tiny medal at the top of the pyramid. i walked ALL the way back up, getting into a fight every couple of steps. THROUGH. THE. ENTIRE. DAMN. PYRAMID. ugh.
---
i don't care what you're currently playing. i can probably guess. you're on this board.
#6lderivedxPosted 2/23/2009 4:01:13 PM
That's what I did on my first playthrough.

Luckily, there are 110 medals and you only ever need 100.
#7W_RPosted 2/23/2009 4:08:30 PM
It helps to have all 110 though.
#8lderivedxPosted 2/23/2009 5:22:47 PM
It's kinda pointless unless you really want them all.
#9SlayerKnoPosted 2/23/2009 5:32:48 PM
On the NES version of Dragon Warrior 3 if you get the Golden Claw its every 1-2 steps you get attacked as long as the claw is in your inventory if you put it in the bank, return it, or sell it your encounter rate will return to normal. I personally suggest for anyone here to try a Solo Golden Claw challenge on the NES.
---
(> " ")>===========(~( @ )~) t(" " t)
#10ShotgunnovaPosted 2/23/2009 11:54:27 PM
I just checked and the encounter rate doesn't return to normal by dropping or selling.

when i got the golden claws, i accidentally forgot to nab the tiny medal at the top of the pyramid.

Eesh, my sympathies.

---
Take me down from the ridge where the summer ends
And watch the city spread out just like a jet's flame