Coping with the Extreme Frustration brought on by Round 2 - Rentals Only

#1jimhalpert789Posted 2/20/2013 3:25:29 PM
Does anyone have any strategies for coping with the extreme frustration that is caused by attempting Round 2 with Rentals only? I managed to get through all of Round 1 and all of the cups (except the Rival Cup) in Round 2, but I'm stuck on the 3rd Johto Gym. The cups are much more bearable because if you can get one Continue you essentially have infinite continues if you use the "suspend" glitch, but if you lose one battle in the Gym leader castle you have to go back to the beginning of the castle.

I usually have Netflix on in the background and sometimes I play Crystal but I still get SO frustrated when playing this game. Any suggestions?
---
-Fat Halpert
#2jimhalpert789(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 1:00:01 PM
Any advice for dealing with frustration is still welcome, but after playing nearly non-stop for the past 24 hours (with the exception of sleeping and eating) I've managed to progress to the Elite 4. I usually get stuck on Bruno. I made it to Karen once, but I eventually get creamed no matter what. I'm using the rental FAQ, but it doesn't seem to matter. Any suggestions?
---
"I hate so much about the things that you choose to be." Cookies are awarded to users who get the reference.
Cookies awarded so far -- 0
#3DZilla1080Posted 2/25/2013 6:27:13 AM
I feel you. Round one was doable. Round 2 is hair ripping. I'd say start with the gym battles because they're easier an less battles are involved so its not as frustrating and a restart would only mean to redo only 3 battles. For the stadium, I suggest looking up a guide for rentals. I'm sure I've used one before. Nintendo madethis extremely hard to force you to purchase their game boy products. Rental pk i dont think have any dv on them and bad iv. Btw are you using project 64 or the actual system?
---
PSN: DZilla1080
'CUSE it up!
#4jimhalpert789(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 11:40:09 AM
I'm using an actual system. I've beaten all of Round 1 and all of the cups in Round 2 using only rental pokemon. I have Pokemon Yellow, Gold, and Crystal but I've been hesitant to use them because up until now I haven't had much of a problem when using the rental pokemon, but I've managed to make my way through the Gym Leader castle up to the Elite Four and I just keep getting annihilated. I can play Yellow at 4x speed using the Dodrio tower, so I've considered using that to level 6 pokemon up to level 50, but I'd be restricted to only using Kanto Pokemon and attacks (other than Johto TMs that I could teach them if I traded them over once I got them to level 50). Most of the guides also recommend having Mewtwo, which is level 70 when you catch it, meaning that I'd have to get the rest of my team up to level 70 as well instead of just level 50, which would be a pain.
---
"I hate so much about the things that you choose to be." Cookies are awarded to users who get the reference.
#5DZilla1080Posted 2/25/2013 1:00:11 PM
Getting that far with rentals is quite impressive and I'm sure stressing to the max. Did you finish the master cup and the last (hardest version) of prime cup? Those are intense. I remember being on the last trainer in the prime cup and finally finishing him off with an earthquake from I forgot who I was. As soon as his hp went to zero my little brother threw a stuffed animal Onto the bed next to me and somehow bouncing off that and right on to the reset button. Lol I was so frozen and just got up and turned it off. No words were spoken. That's how frustrated I was. Idk If you did it already, but I heard doing the classes will unlock more moves for the rentals. I could be wrong. Keep trying as google many guides. Good luck! I'm about to start my journey but I've got gb pokemon to use so I won't have too much trouble.
---
'CUSE it up!
#6jimhalpert789(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 3:00:05 PM
Yeah, it's been a while since I did the cups from round 2 but I remember them being pretty terrible, especially the final battle of the little cup. I was able to find a topic on this forum where someone explained how they had beaten it; it involved your opponent picking 3 pokemon in a particular order and you not missing any attacks and getting lucky with a critical here and there, so it lead to a lot of attempts.

I'm considering starting a new game on yellow and trying to create a team of 6 that may be able to get through the elite four and the remainder of round 2 for me, but I'm afraid that I'll end up wasting time creating a team and then getting stuck on the Elite four any ways.

So far I've been lucky enough to not have any accidental resets, but I've had plenty of tough battle that have ended with me in disbelief. I remember in one of the round 2 cups using "Thunder" to finish off the last pokemon of a trainer that I'd been having a lot of trouble with, but Thunder missed 5-6 times in a row and the opponent scored some ridiculous critical hits which led to me losing. Best of luck!
---
#7DZilla1080Posted 2/25/2013 3:08:44 PM
Thanks. Oh an I'm sure the elite 4 will be a breeze with gb pokemon. Train a Starmie with surf, psychic, ice beam, t bolt and you're golden
---
'CUSE it up!
#8jimhalpert789(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 3:23:36 PM
DZilla1080 posted...
Thanks. Oh an I'm sure the elite 4 will be a breeze with gb pokemon. Train a Starmie with surf, psychic, ice beam, t bolt and you're golden

Awesome, I'll definitely do that then, thanks!
---
#9gameman713Posted 3/9/2013 7:18:26 AM
jimhalpert789 posted...
Yeah, it's been a while since I did the cups from round 2 but I remember them being pretty terrible, especially the final battle of the little cup. I was able to find a topic on this forum where someone explained how they had beaten it; it involved your opponent picking 3 pokemon in a particular order and you not missing any attacks and getting lucky with a critical here and there, so it lead to a lot of attempts.

I'm considering starting a new game on yellow and trying to create a team of 6 that may be able to get through the elite four and the remainder of round 2 for me, but I'm afraid that I'll end up wasting time creating a team and then getting stuck on the Elite four any ways.

So far I've been lucky enough to not have any accidental resets, but I've had plenty of tough battle that have ended with me in disbelief. I remember in one of the round 2 cups using "Thunder" to finish off the last pokemon of a trainer that I'd been having a lot of trouble with, but Thunder missed 5-6 times in a row and the opponent scored some ridiculous critical hits which led to me losing. Best of luck!

I swear Thunder is rigged in that game sometimes. Actually, in Round 2 I think most of the attacks with iffy accuracy are rigged so that you almost never get them and the computer always does.

It's the reason I go with Thunderbolt.
#10NonproducePosted 3/17/2013 3:09:32 PM
gameman713 posted...
jimhalpert789 posted...

I swear Thunder is rigged in that game sometimes. Actually, in Round 2 I think most of the attacks with iffy accuracy are rigged so that you almost never get them and the computer always does.

It's the reason I go with Thunderbolt.

Too bad brightpowder/ focus bands cheat just as much. My rentals havent even dented any round 2 areas ! I guess I should box trick a new set of pokemon from crystal.
---
Official Taokaka supporter! -^w^-
http://tousei.deviantart.com/art/TAOKAKA-117133612