Can't build wonders... :-(

#1LameodontePosted 12/8/2008 4:57:40 AM
My enemies are always faster, especially during ancient times.. Now I'm playing a game with Indians. I have a large nation and I'm dominant over other countries (my game score is 200 points above the second classified) but when I try to build Wonders I'm always VERY slow and my enemies easily anticipate me.

I'm in 700 A.D. and I built 0 Wonders, my enemies have a total of 11.
#2ChaosArbiterPosted 12/8/2008 5:13:53 AM
Especially on the harder difficulties (read: anything above Warlord), it's not usually possible to get the early wonders - it's also not usually a good idea to try, except possibly for the Great Library (particularly if you beeline for it). On all the difficulty levels above Regent (I believe ...) the AI requires fewer shields to build things than the player, so they will always have an advantage on those levels. On Regent, neither the player nor the AI has an advantage or disadvantage, but the AI players favor each other more than the human almost every time.

The earliest wonder I ever try to realistically get is Sun Tzu's - and I still play on Warlord (although it's been a while *since* I've played - blasted Rome!), and that's usually a 50/50 shot if I'm going up against any Industrial civs. Upper-path Medieval wonders (JS Bach's and Adam Smith's in particular) are usually safe, though.

In any case, if you compare the shield cost of early Wonders with the military units you *could* be building, it's usually a better bet to simply conquer the Wonders you want instead of building them yourself :)
---
He's got jaws like a saber-tithed tooger. Soober-toothed teegar. The goddamned growly things with the fangs.
~ Garret, Bitter Gold Hearts
#3Lameodonte(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2008 5:41:51 AM
Uhm... Now I'm playing at Warlord difficulty level... Is there anything I can do to rush the production?
#4Lameodonte(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2008 7:21:37 AM
I know I can use Leaders (if I have them!) but I'm trying to win the game without get involved in any war.
#5T_birdPosted 12/8/2008 10:04:03 AM
Here are some options:

1. Start building a palace before you discover the tech that has the wonder you want. Then switch to that wonder at some point before the palace is finished. This can also be used to not waste shields from a failed wonder. Just make sure you don't accidentally move your palace.

2. Maximize shield production in the city your building the wonder in.

3. If you're playing Civ 3: Conquests you can get a scientific leader if you are the first to discover a tech. I think they can rush Great Wonders.
---
There was no joy in Magicant,
for mighty Ness has struck out.
-outsider90909
#6ChaosArbiterPosted 12/8/2008 12:44:44 PM
Scientific GL can rush any buildings (and the "Science Age" is glitched, so rushing is all they're good for), but the Military Leader cannot rush Great Wonders.
---
He's got jaws like a saber-tithed tooger. Soober-toothed teegar. The goddamned growly things with the fangs.
#7T_birdPosted 12/8/2008 11:08:37 PM
Thanks, I couldn't remember if SLs could rush Great Wonders. Military leaders can rush small wonders though and are great for moving Palaces or rushing the Forbidden Palace. Don't worry TC, even if you avoid war some ****** ******* ******* will betray you at some point so you could still get a leader and if you're playing the original Civ III rush a Great Wonder.
---
-outsider90909
#8ChaosArbiterPosted 12/9/2008 9:02:45 AM
Don't worry TC, even if you avoid war some ****** ******* ******* will betray you at some point

Gandhi likes to do this. With Nukes.
---
#9T_birdPosted 12/9/2008 9:19:16 AM
Really!? I've never had the AI unleash a preemptive nuclear strike on anyone. Maybe that's because I have only won on regent and finished one game on monarch.
---
-outsider90909
#10VoraciousGamerPosted 12/11/2008 1:15:50 AM
Ancient wonders are almost always a waste of time unless you are trying to go for a science city or you get an early leader. I usually turn my best city into my science/wonder capital and just build wonders there. Your problem sounds like your cities are weak in production area, you need 2 workers per city unless your industrious then its 1.5 per city and you should always manage them yourself so you get the most out of the city.