This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the BEST team in this game?

#1dairyinvaderPosted 9/24/2008 10:44:52 PM
This is NOT a question of what your personal favorite team is, this is a question of what is the BEST team for gameplay purposes. Every game has a best team, or at least a couple best teams. Everyone keeps saying that "it doesnt matter who your team is, do what you want with each character" even though the stat lists clearly argue otherwise. Stat lists indicate that Vaan will be your best tank, Penelo/Ashe will be your best mage, etc etc.... but it doesnt give any insight into what equipment they are best with, etc.

So what exactly has been accepted as The Best Team, what role does each character play in it, and what equipment are they idealy wearing?
#2JoolsyPosted 9/24/2008 11:00:40 PM
IMExp it does not make any significant difference which characters you use, on the contrary, in practise I have always found it better to rotate party members in order that they are all of roughly equivalent levels.

If you are determined to find out which Characters are best suited to which roles you could do worse than take a look at the excellent Game mechanics FAQ on this site.

---
~ Ye Olde Schule Gaimers Uniteth ~
#3toast_manPosted 9/24/2008 11:13:48 PM
every character is essentially identical, choose whichever team you find the most asthetically pleasing a.k.a fran x 3
---
Typing in all caps and raping the English language doesn't make you right - Ray Gun
#4VicerionPosted 9/24/2008 11:23:09 PM
Basch at level 99 has the highest base str giving him the best base tournesol attack in the game. Note this is without ANY buffs or armor. Just the sword itself. As soon as you add in any single buff/heavy armor. They all become equal.

Vaan has the highest str/mag ration in the game. Giving him the highest base attack with the masamune. Same rules as above apply.

Ashe has a higher base magic than anyone, but Penelo has a higher base MP. Depending on your preference one of them is the strongest 'mage' in the game. The rest fall somewhere in between.

However like everyone says. You add in armor and things like berserk and bravery. Everyone is equal.
---
I said you're the one who stinks Hamshanks! Can you hear me now?
#5shem33Posted 9/25/2008 7:35:47 AM
It really is up to you. You make the 'best' team as you deem them fit to your liking; be it tank, healer, or otherwise. Stats didn't really matter a whole lot in this game. Weapons and Armors did so it's all up to you TC
---
Can hearse carrying a corpse drive in the carpool lane?
#6AlitheiaaPosted 9/25/2008 1:23:31 PM
Basch at level 99 has the highest base str giving him the best base tournesol attack in the game. Note this is without ANY buffs or armor. Just the sword itself. As soon as you add in any single buff/heavy armor. They all become equal.

Nopes. Wrong. Basch and Vaan both have the highest Str. No matter how you buff/equip them, if another char has the same stuff.. Vaan and Basch will still be the best in str. Period.

Vaan has the highest str/mag ration in the game. Giving him the highest base attack with the masamune. Same rules as above apply.

True, cept... he ALONE no matter how you equip him or anyone else has the best, Ashe being a close second.

Ashe has a higher base magic than anyone, but Penelo has a higher base MP. Depending on your preference one of them is the strongest 'mage' in the game. The rest fall somewhere in between.

They both have Identical Magick/MP growth. The base MP/Magic for Penelo and Ashe are pretty much identical as well, though sometimes the randomness of the game's HP/MP stats make one have more then the other. The only difference between them are HP, Str, Vit, and Speed. Which I think Ashe has more in HP, Str, and Speed, maybe equal in speed. Not entirely sure.

So for best basic party build of Tank, DD, and Mage... It's Basch, Vaan, and Ashe.

---
Vote no for killing moogles. ~reflex7
#7finalfantasticaPosted 9/25/2008 3:33:09 PM
i always use the main char in all the games, so i used vaan

i liked the way balthier used some weapons so i used him

i like ashe. so i used her
---
[insert cool sig]
#8Orange Fluffy SheepPosted 9/25/2008 4:09:25 PM
Penelo ends up faster than Ashe.

I use Vaan/Ashe/Penelo because they have the highest MP growth.
---
Since there were no living animals nearby to make a witty comeback, a decorative potted plant has taken over.
#9AshtonRPG7Posted 9/25/2008 4:28:57 PM
i dun like vaan, in fact if the main char of the game is removable i switch it for someone else, unless i trully like the char, in this case i hate vaan, i only see him in towns ^_^, he has good stats tho, i use penelo/ashe and someone else,
#10FenriradramelkPosted 9/25/2008 7:17:05 PM
The reasoning behind the "with buffs they are equal" statement is, I'm assuming as follows:
Fran & Basch are both buffed up with berzerk, bravery, etc etc. Both are wearing Zodiac Spears, and smacking things for 9999.

Does it matter much in that case that Basch has higher Str? Not really, cuz of the damage cap.

And besides, the difference that raw stats provides is pretty unimportant. It really doesn't matter much when enemies have 20k or more health, and will take 3+ hits to kill regardless of who you're using (matters more on -what- they're using, buff & equipment wise).
---
Adramelk - 70 Druid @ Kilrogg;; Bleedthrough - 70 Shaman @ Kilrogg;; Casualty - 64 Priest @ Kilrogg