This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dustia Rare Monster (#61) Leveling Trick FAQ (spoilers)

#1VextrisPosted 9/30/2008 9:30:19 AM
(Level 50+) Early Game Dustia (#61) Rare Monster Leveling Trick:

Once you begin playing the game as Vaan, you can complete abuse the Dustia trick before you go into the Garamsythe Waterway (sewer) and either before or after the sunstone quest with Penelo. You can also keep Penelo with you if you want to have extra help, though I recommend you do not. Not having Penelo makes it a bit more challenging and more fun! That way, one mistake = “Game Over”

<u>LOCATION: Westersand/Corridor of Sand outside Rabanastre</u>
Dustia will net you around 1011-1100 XP and 3 LP per kill. This will level you up very quickly so if you only want a few levels, do not abuse this trick. If this is your 2nd play through or more, level as much as you want.

In Rabanastre, purchase as many Phoenix downs as you can afford (99 recommended but 50 will do). You will likely not have enough gil for 99 or even 50 Phoenix Downs so I would recommend chaining wolves in any of the zones (eastersand/westersand/giza plains Hyena counts as wolfs as well). Get 99 pelts and anything else you can sell. Get at least 50 PD's so you can chain enough Dustia's to make the books drop. This will enable you to purchase more Phoenix Downs and repeat the process, making gil along the way while you power level yourself.

Dustia will spawn automatically, no matter where you enter the Westersand/Corridor of Sand so long as your HP is less than 10%. In order to do this, you can either have a monster hit you or you can strike yourself (hit attack and use R1 to cycle to yourself). Be careful because Vaan can combo at anytime and actually kill himself. To avoid this, the second you see yourself get hit, go to the equipment screen and un-equip a piece/or all your gear. This nullifies any chance that you could have combo'ed. Go back and re-equip what you had on (or use the optimize feature). Before you start chaining, test out your weapon(s) to see what kind of damage they do. Also, you can remove armor or use a lower damage weapon to inflict less damage. Also, make sure you do not go out and fight a wolf to get your hp back down because this will break the chain (seems obvious but you can forget and break the chain). Now change the battle speed to the slowest setting.

With the battle speed set to the slowest; Dustia's casting time will be the longest possible time giving you more than enough time to use a Phoenix Down on him. Once you can target him, use a Phoenix Down on him for an instant KO. You should be able to pause the live action using the Square button (on and off) until you either see his death animation with no loot drop, or you see the death animation with a loot drop. Try to grab the loot and zone as quickly as possible. Make sure you zone BEFORE you see the xp/lp shown on the screen. When I enter, I immediately run towards the zone and let him start casting, then I move a centimeter closer, use the PD, pick up the bag and zone.

If done right, you can chain him over and over and get "Flame Staffs" and "Books of Orgain" to sell for more PD's. You can also zone all the way west to a merchant located in the Westersand/Western Divide to sell your loot, buy more PD's and run back without breaking the Dustia chain. This is recommended to really build up gil but beware, if you die in the process of zoning between the three zones or kill anything along the way, you will loss either all progress or break the chain.

Good luck. It takes some practice. And if he doesn't spawn, remember that on the higher chain levels (chain levels 1-4, not chain number 100 for example), sometimes it heals HP or MP. If it heals you for HP you will have to damage yourself before he will spawn again but make sure not to kill yourself. Also, you can NOT zone into an area like a city or touch a save crystal or you will lose the chain.

---
"Master using it and you can have this."
--The Legend of Zelda (1987)
#2TropicThunderPosted 9/30/2008 11:29:36 AM
You don't say. Everyone knows this already.
---
You asked for it! Sky Faang!!
#3alex_leafmanPosted 9/30/2008 11:34:26 AM
I think he's going for sticky.
---
I stalk Momo as a career :P
So does anyone know any other boards she visits?
#4Vextris(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2008 11:41:59 AM
I posted this because I thought it would help new people learn how to do the trick. Why is it that someone always has to flame and troll? This is for anyone that wants a full, detailed explination of the Dustia leveling trick.

I see no harm in posting information that I know others will be able to use and search for in the future. I hope it helps others as I wrote it myself after doing this on one of my play throughs.
---
#5Ame_no_MurakumoPosted 9/30/2008 11:48:21 AM
Get this man a sticky! ^.^
---
PSN ID: RedEyeDragoon
Angel: I don't think 'urgh' is a magic word, if one could call it a word, and certainly not a magic one.
#6PhaildPosted 9/30/2008 11:59:55 AM
You mean this sticky:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=459841&topic=39360360

Ctrl + F: Dustia
#7Vextris(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2008 12:13:38 PM
You mean this sticky:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=459841&topic=39360360

Ctrl + F: Dustia

Naw, I think for people only interested in the Dustia leveling trick, mine is easier to not only read but find what your looking for. Thanks for the trolling though. Have a wonderful day!
---
#8bcs4981Posted 9/30/2008 12:27:15 PM
Well written, although I doubt it will get stickied.

you can always bump it on occasion, however.
#9Vextris(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2008 12:38:33 PM
Well written, although I doubt it will get stickied.

you can always bump it on occasion, however.

Thank you. I really never intended it to get stickied. As long as I feel like this helped one person, I am happy to have posted it. I wrote it originally so I would not forget when I decide to go through the game again in the future.

Questions about how to chain Dustia are so frequent on this board, I thought if there was a post dedicated to the method without lots of other content, maybe it would be easier to find and refer people to, etc. My only intention was to help people.

;)

---
#10MeteorianPosted 9/30/2008 12:43:29 PM
You wanna help people? Go do charity works, good deeds. That's when you really help someone.