This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't get the hate for this game

#1alexponentialPosted 2/15/2012 3:18:59 PM
I've recently started replaying this game because when I got it back in '06 I had just started college and barely had any time to play/roommates to share the TV with and stopped playing at Raithwall's Tomb. This game is great. Yeah, it's different than the FFs before it, but so what? XIII is even more different than this, and at least XII has an open world from the start of the game. People either want more of the same all of the time (which gets boring), or complain there's never any change (which is hypocritical).
#2Shinra_TenseiPosted 2/15/2012 4:19:21 PM
Meh. As far as I'm concerned I ENJOY THE GAME. What others may prattle on about is irrelevant, "haters gonna hate" I guess.
---
Play with friendly and active UNS2 players on valorgaming.com.
#3RevenantThingsPosted 2/15/2012 4:58:39 PM
Other than initial backlash upon release (and lasting until the next iteration of FF is released), this game doesn't actually get a lot of 'hate'.
---
What troubled sleep have you known, to speak of my dreams? No matter how sweet, a dream left unrealized must fade into day - Wiegraf, FFT:tWotL
#4FooFightersFanPosted 2/15/2012 5:18:37 PM
Yeah I don't think this game gets much hate any more. I think the haters moved on to newer games to hate on, for the most part.

Or maybe it just grew on people. I didn't really like this game at first, and even though I put 50 hours into it I was like, "why did I just slug through this game?" I played it a year or two later and enjoyed it thoroughly and actually finished the main game as well as many of the side quests.
#5Ecclesiastes273Posted 2/15/2012 7:01:12 PM
There are things I don't like about this game, and those things have absolutely no chance of "growing on me", but it's still a solid game that I play and enjoy from time to time.
---
Official Vet of the MHFU Message Board.
Official ETERNAL DESTROYER of the super mega ultimate DRAGON DESTROYERS(tm).
#61shadetail1Posted 2/15/2012 8:06:21 PM
["I've recently started replaying this game because when I got it back in '06 I had just started college and barely had any time to play/roommates to share the TV with and stopped playing at Raithwall's Tomb. This game is great. Yeah, it's different than the FFs before it, but so what? XIII is even more different than this, and at least XII has an open world from the start of the game. People either want more of the same all of the time (which gets boring), or complain there's never any change (which is hypocritical)."]

People are allowed to have different opinions. I think the story is incredibly boring, but the gameplay is fun enough that I enjoy it anyway. But that's just me. And while I also prefer games to not be all the same, it is perfectly legitimate to feel otherwise.

Also, complaining that there's never any change is "hypocritical"? Huh?
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#7ZeusthagodPosted 2/15/2012 10:28:10 PM
Some people didn't like the story, which is kind of understandable since it's not the typical story of the other FF games. It's more mature and political.

Others complained about the new gameplay style.

I personally think the story was decent (not great) and the gameplay was excellent. I think an improved version of FFXII's gameplay is what should have been used for FFXIII. My only problem with the game was the development of some of the characters and the random treasure chests. Otherwise I think it's a great game.
---
A wise man told me "don't argue with fools"
#8alexponential(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2012 2:37:34 AM
1shadetail1 posted...
Also, complaining that there's never any change is "hypocritical"? Huh?

Yeah because when there is a big change they most of the time don't like it, but then again people don't want to be playing basic reiterations of turn based battle systems for the rest of their lives. People don't want the same whiny sci-fi story characters from PS1 FFs; they get a mature story in XII and don't like it. FF fans are so fickle. A new game comes out every few years...it's not the end of the world if the newest iteration doesn't like up to the glory of some past titles in every aspect.
#9drclaeysPosted 2/16/2012 6:30:12 AM
Friends,

I remember putting in this game, and being in AWE of how nice it looked. I could never dream the ps2 could look so good.

Its hard to live in the shadow of other great games. People just go crazy over X.. they go crazy over 7... so now, this game, with the BIG budget.

They just expected something epic.

I think this game is flawless, expect the story. The story could use some tweeking here and there. Not much, but just a few cut scenes to explain stuff, that seems to be missing.

I would like a flash back of how Fran and bath meet. I would like a flashback of the twins, way they went there seperate ways. I want to know why Vann and penny are risking there lives, over and over and OVER again. I might be an orphen, but im not crazy.

So you get a great looking present..and inside its a FRUIT CAKE. still a gift, but you eXPECTED something more GRAND.

thats my 2 coppers on dat.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan.
#101shadetail1Posted 2/16/2012 7:51:35 AM
["Yeah because when there is a big change they most of the time don't like it, but then again people don't want to be playing basic reiterations of turn based battle systems for the rest of their lives. People don't want the same whiny sci-fi story characters from PS1 FFs; they get a mature story in XII and don't like it. FF fans are so fickle. A new game comes out every few years...it's not the end of the world if the newest iteration doesn't like up to the glory of some past titles in every aspect."]

Uh, quite frankly, you don't know what "hypocritical" means. It is perfectly consistent to want change but not like the change you get. Aside from that, you're making a lot of unfounded claims about what people have been saying and what they want. People don't want the same turn-based battle systems? People don't want the same kind of story? How do you know? Do you have any actual numbers to back that up?

I'm not even going to get into how ridiculous it is to call FF12's story "mature". I'm tired of that argument.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.