This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you sit through the battles?

#21ChipNoir(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2012 9:57:03 AM
ChipNoir posted...
Not having to sit through so many animations during battle is such a relief. I love FF but come on, I have another 1000 battles to fight today. I don't need 1000 tiny movies.

Plus seeing your team converge on a fiend with such enthusiasm is kinda fun.

So you're just an MMORPG grindhore.

Great.

I hate people like you. Beautiful gaming can't exist because of you.

implying that FFXII isn't beautiful

Are you seriously expecting ALL RPGs to have cinematic cutscenes in every attack? Have you even played other RPGs? As far as I know, there isn't much cinematic RPG cutscenes in other games outside the PS1 FFs. Also cinematic action scenes can't be considered "beautiful". It should be about the game's artstyle and graphics.

Also, what does simplistic/short animations have to do with being a "grindhore"? Having short scenes makes it easier to advance to the next area/story. The original FFXII is easy enough that grinding levels isn't even needed, equipment is what matters. It's not like every RPG out there has absolutely no grinding involved (especially the older ones).

When the game can't do it well (Such as SNES era) then yes, it can get away with not pushing the limits of how fantastic the battles look.

When its an end-life of the system, then there's no excuse to look so mundane and underwhelming. Square has better standards of presentation than the bore that XII battles are.

Most people don't even seem to pay attention to the screen even without gambits. Nothing worth looking at happens!
---
The official Kefka. I hate you all.
#22aryznerPosted 6/7/2012 11:57:19 AM
I find this game very enjoyable because the battles are so quick and I can run anywhere at any time.

But I'm one of the (seemingly) few that thought Final Fantasy X was very bad.
---
The video game blog:
http://screamingguy.info/blog/
#23MParkerStonePosted 6/7/2012 12:40:24 PM
i dunno, i felt the transition into and out of a boss's SUPER ATTACK in this game was a little jarring and took you out of the battle for a moment, so i was glad they didn't go all special FX for most of their moves
#24JenniferBabyPosted 6/9/2012 8:39:33 PM
ChipNoir posted...
Not having to sit through so many animations during battle is such a relief. I love FF but come on, I have another 1000 battles to fight today. I don't need 1000 tiny movies.

Plus seeing your team converge on a fiend with such enthusiasm is kinda fun.

So you're just an MMORPG grindhore.

Great.

I hate people like you. Beautiful gaming can't exist because of you.

I have never played an MMORPG for longer than 20 minutes in my life.

I love most FFs. They are my pre-order-and-obssess genre and they are the only franchise I regularily spend well over 100 hours of gameplay on.

That said, I want to spend it on actual gameplay. If I wanted to watch TV, I would watch TV... but I don't like TV. I don't even have cable. My brain requires higher stimulation than seeing a screen roll to black... loading... zoom in on Flan... zoom in on Tidus... Zoom out to view Flan and party. Thrilling!

FFXII does have animations for boss battles though. I like that. I wouldn't mind the post battle victory pose if I could button mash X when I am feeling impatient and return to the field without a loading screen. I also miss the battle/victory music a lot, it's what takes the feel of FF out of this game for me. When I initially played I put it back down and abandoned it til just recently because of this. I can understand all these differences, except for "what to watch". Not the black loading screen?

pyro_bunta posted...

implying that FFXII isn't beautiful

Are you seriously expecting ALL RPGs to have cinematic cutscenes in every attack? Have you even played other RPGs? As far as I know, there isn't much cinematic RPG cutscenes in other games outside the PS1 FFs. Also cinematic action scenes can't be considered "beautiful". It should be about the game's artstyle and graphics.

Also, what does simplistic/short animations have to do with being a "grindhore"? Having short scenes makes it easier to advance to the next area/story. The original FFXII is easy enough that grinding levels isn't even needed, equipment is what matters. It's not like every RPG out there has absolutely no grinding involved (especially the older ones).

^^^I am a story/exploration"hore". This. This is why I like fast. Must... see.. everything. You said this better than I could have pyro.
---
If you rolled headfirst into tree trunks to knock down skuttulas, you'd have enough brain damage to impair your ability to talk, too.
#25ChipNoir(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2012 11:42:01 AM
So you're okay with all the flavor taken out of the battles so you can "Advance Quickly" but you don't complain that it takes equally as long to progress just by the sheer stupid size of all the locations?

Hypocrits. Ruining Final Fantasy for the sake of making it a grindfest that isn't even fun to watch.
---
The official Kefka. I hate you all.
#26MParkerStonePosted 6/11/2012 3:24:29 PM
hypocritzzzzzz

i'll give you the too large map criticism, while the graphics are nice that bugged me at times, particularly on the hunts. grindfest though? i dunno if you're talking about the number of enemies in certain areas or having to go out of your way to level (you don't,) but nah
#27pyro_buntaPosted 6/12/2012 7:31:08 PM
Grindfest?

Seriously. Have you even ever played any of the previous FFs? Final Fantasy never changed that aspect. There always have been grinding, and in fact FFXII even toned it down if you noticed. FFXII's map isn't even as large as the older Final Fantasy games (minus some smaller worlds like FFVIII and FFX). Advancing Quickly isn't a primary necessity since the game isn't that long story-wise.

Like I said, the battles are almost similar as in how Chrono Trigger puts battles and fields in the same screen. It's essentially a true active time battle system that is being implemenented. The guy who made the games also mentioned in an interview how he explained what FFX was originally meant to be, which was eerily similar to FFXII's description however limited to the technology.

That said, if you're only looking for cinematic cutscenes then FFXII or most RPGs in general is probably not your kind of game. Even though FFXII DO have cinematic battle cutscenes which you seem to ignore for some reason.
---
...if you know what I mean
#28LordWombatPosted 6/12/2012 7:35:18 PM
ChipNoir posted...
No cinematic camera angles.
Special effects are underwhelming and have little visual area of effect.
Minimal special attacks that take hours to even acquire.
One-click gaming, even without gambits.

I don't mean to come off as a troll, but this really gets under my skin. It seems like a huge step backwards from the amazingly entertainment value of X's battles. What pleasure do any of you get out of the combat?

I have to respectfully disagree. ALL FF games (sequential ones anyway) are mostly "one-click" games. Even FFX was, except for bosses and a few monsters.

Don't get me wrong FF is my FAVORITE video game series of all time, bar none, but almost every battle can be won with only attacking (barring challenges/bosses/a few enemies per game). I personally love the AI aspect myself, although X had good AI (sanctuary keeper in a NSG game, *shudders*) 12 seemed to elaborate on it. And what I always laugh at is when people say the battle system is completely different: its not. Things are just moving and happening as you fight. Other than that its not REALLY that different. You attack, they attack. But again, don't get me wrong I love the FF series and 10 and 12 tie for my favorites, but the graphics were the only HUGE upgrade IMHO.
---
PSN Lord_Wombat
Not changing this sig until marijuana is legal in the U.S.A. (If for no better reason than potheads would have F****** NOTHING to talk about)
#29GwelenguchenkusPosted 6/12/2012 10:20:15 PM
In FF1 - 6, did the 'camera' never moved. In fact, your characters rarely moved position.

They were not all boring.

I also don't see what the big deal is with special effects. As others have mentioned, if you really care, there are Quickenings and Espers. This game has beautiful environments, and I find the action of the battles interesting enough to watch without giant flashy animations. Am I the only person that doesn't give a crap about a huge impressive Firaga or Flare or Holy animation? Were they ever really *that* impressive or interesting?
---
Go forth, and do weird and difficult things!
#30Ecclesiastes273Posted 6/13/2012 12:11:23 AM
Ironically, high tier magic still manages to be fancy enough so as to be more disruptive to the flow of battle than any Final Fantasy before it.
---
Official Vet of the MHFU Message Board.
Official ETERNAL DESTROYER of the super mega ultimate DRAGON DESTROYERS(tm).