This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What a great game

#1jannedaarc1Posted 10/11/2012 7:56:19 AM
I am one of the people in the world (and given the sentiments on other FF boards, one of the few) that love this game. What does it for me is the gameplay, the music, the environments, and the very quick rewards gained by progressing the...oh heck, cant remember what it is called - the ability board.

What I thought was a little weak was the later story. The game started out uttely epic and then kinda lost me.

Now I come to the reason for this post: wanting to replay the game. I'll just come to the point: I always have wanted to complete this whole game by beating all the optional bosses but those fights are utterly terrible in my opinion.

The one thing I HATE about this game is how Square handled those optional fights. At best your characters can only put out somewhere around like, 40,000 per minute. That's fine but then you consider that these bosses have like 8 Million HP? There are few if any wonderous tactics involved (for example, I liked in FFXIII how you could kill those massive dinosaurs with Death if you were -very- lucky making it at least POSSIBLE to have SOME other alternative other than just grinding) in these fights - just wail away on the enemy.

I fully admit that on some levels this is a very weak complaint. And I am not suggesting it does anything to weaken the quality of this game. But does anyone have any thoughts? Advice?
#2Moomba33Posted 10/11/2012 8:24:26 AM
I think the fights go by faster in the International versions since they got rid of the damage cap and there's an option to speed up the game.
As for this version, the only fight I remember dragging on ridiculously long is Yiazmat, which thankfully you don't have to finish in one sitting.
To be fair, it has been a few years since I finished all the optional content in this game so I may just be forgetting other long fights.
---
"Oh, I never leave home without my party cannon!" -Pinkie Pie
#3falconesquePosted 10/11/2012 8:26:33 AM
The game started out uttely epic and then kinda lost me.

Many Final Fantasy games have a way of losing the story, whether somewhere in the middle or (more likely with SE) at the tail end. Not losing the story can sometimes need a decided choice on the player's part.

I'll just come to the point: I always have wanted to complete this whole game by beating all the optional bosses but those fights are utterly terrible in my opinion.

They are. But buckle down and do 'em once, then you'll never need do 'em again. Just don't recycle that saved game, heh, so you can load it to remind yourself next time the itch stirs. :j

The one tip I'd offer to make it a little less tedious is to not activate the hunts on Phon Coast until you've finished every other optional pursuit. This keeps rare game from impeding your progress. You can activate those hunts any ol' time.

Best wishes with your run.
---
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank
#4dfugate1Posted 10/11/2012 9:12:46 AM
You can beat any of the big optional bosses and or hunts faster than you may think. Just search on you tube how to do them. Yazimat can be done in about 50-55 minutes if you want. Hell Wyrm I have beaten in under 20 minutes. Same with Omega Mark. Can't remember the last time it took more than 5-10 minutes to kill Behemeth King as well.
#5jannedaarc1(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2012 9:14:02 AM
^Thanks for the advice. the fight that I am recalling the most (and sorry for utter lack of name rememberance - it has been about 4 years since I last played) was when I fought a really large dragon-looking guy in that...tomb(?) that has like some caverns and then there is a circular route where this boss is in a room shooting off from that circle.

The fight wasnt hard per se (though I did get killed the two times I tried) but I would hit, hit, hit, then he would unload on me, then my characters would go nuts recovering, rinse and repeat. That is not on its surface any different from any video game in history but when that is ALL there is to it...Damn!

Thanks for the posts. Look forward to other thoughts.

Oh, and one thing that kinda sucked in this game - limit breaks. Oh my god I loved them early on. If you were really quick about it, you could keep them going for a long time and therefore a very, very underleveled character could topple some pretty robust enemies. There were quite a few times when I was doing some early hunts that I was totally outclassed but I'd break into the limits and eck out a victory. Later in the game though...they were a complete waste of time.

Also I LOVED how summons looked in the game and all that but I found them really unworthy to summon in a tight spot - which is where I feel summons should really put down the hurt. They'd get jimmied pretty quickly by bosses and the like.
#6KeegnPosted 10/11/2012 5:27:02 PM
There are only a few boss fights that really get boring and repetitive (Yiazmat and Hell Wyrm for me). I also find a lot of quality in this game, and regularly will tell people it's the best one I've ever played.
#7bushbandit007Posted 10/11/2012 7:55:19 PM
I completely agree with everything you said/wrote. FFXII is my favorite of all time, and have played through it dozens of times and even now I finding new ways of doing things.
I only ever killed Hell Wyrm and Yizmat once and that was enough for me and it took like 6 hours in total for me (thats without guides). It was definitely a trying time, but I would recommend for you to do it at least once.

Thanks for sharing man, it is good to see that I am not the only one who appreciates this game :)
#8GalaxilliPosted 10/11/2012 11:14:44 PM
jannedaarc1 posted...
At best your characters can only put out somewhere around like, 40,000 per minute. That's fine but then you consider that these bosses have like 8 Million HP? There are few if any wonderous tactics involved (for example, I liked in FFXIII how you could kill those massive dinosaurs with Death if you were -very- lucky making it at least POSSIBLE to have SOME other alternative other than just grinding) in these fights - just wail away on the enemy.

Actually, it is possible to put out more than 2,000,000 per minute. I've done this on my boss speed runs.
Also, in FFXIII, the Long Guis, which are several times more powerful than the Adamantoises you're thinking of, are immune to Death. But it is still possible to defeat them in about a minute, with very high levels of player skill.
#9jannedaarc1(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2012 11:34:25 AM
^Hm. Could you please tell me how you do so much damage in FFXII? I have only ever heard of these battles taking - yes, as one poster said - upwards of 6 hours. That seems way long if you are using a guide but still, 45-90 minutes sounds about right.

I would really like it if you'd post more info please.

Well, I just fired up the game for a replay. I think I'm going to really enjoy it as I'm definitely, no matter what, going to kill Hell Wyrm and Yiazmat.

Are there any guides that cover the absolute soonest that you can unlock the ultimate weapons? Probably the ultimate weapon guide, but I was wondering if anyone knew of one guide in particular that would really focus on that.
#10jannedaarc1(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2012 8:42:38 PM
So i just got through the mines where you save Penelo. Holy cow - that straightaway with all the skeletons is almost impossible to get through.

I gotta say again what I've said before: just how impressive this game is. They really did a killer job making it feel -HUGE-. Music is great. I like most of the characters...just so good go go.