This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This game has more tedious and ridiculous crap than any game i've ever played.

#1DrLight66Posted 11/23/2012 1:45:53 AM
SPOILERS!!!!!!!

With a few changes here and there, this game could've been a masterpiece. I just finished it earlier today, not only completing the main game but also having done all the hunts including Yiazmat, having defeated all the espers, having defeated Omega Mark XII, just about all of the sidequests, and getting 8 or 9 trophies for the Phon Coast Hunt Club. About 160 hours i put into the game, and I think in those 160 hours I had fun for about 60 of them and was bored out of my mind for the other 100.

The story except for the very beginning and the encounter with the Occuria in the Great Crystal onwards was so boring, so uninteresting, and it felt like the developers had only half a script to work with. Vaan is the single most annoying main character in video game history, he's like the equivalent of Shia Lebouf.

The hunts, the battle themselves are a lot of fun, but the way the developers handled it is idiotic. So you go to talk to the person. Tedious. Then you go back through a dungeon you've already gone through just to fight a boss. Super Tedious. Then you fight the hunt. That's fun. Then you have to make your way back out of the dungeon. So boring. Then you go back to the person again to collect your crappy reward and complete the hunt. Boring and only worth it to increase your hunter rank and unlock future hunts. So any time you accept the hunt, you are actually playing the game for about 8 minutes or so fighting the hunt, and you spend about 20 minutes just doing boring crap to accept and complete the hunt. I mean what the hell. Having my characters jog around is not playing a game. It's just artificially extending the length of the game and boring the player to death.

The bazaar is a complete disaster. The game doesn't tell you diddly what you need or how much of it to make something. On top of that, most of the stuff you make in the bazaar is complete garbage except for things like the Sagittarius Bow, Orochi, etc which you can't get anyway until way late in the game. It should've been a synth system like in FF9, plain and simple. Or... the game could reward you with the 2nd page of the bestiary and say "oh, if you want to make Arrows of the Moon Goddess, you'll need this and this", and another page for a different enemy could say "X item (which was mentioned on the other page describing how to make the arrow) can be found from this enemy". It's so ridiculous. There's no reason to read the 2nd pages of a bestiary, they aren't interesting 90% of the time even when they do fill in holes in the story cause the story sucks so bad.

Most of the dungeons and areas are so boring. In the entire game it feels like for regular enemies there's only about a dozen or so different types, but each type has about 40 different variants of itself so you end up fighting 500 different types of toads, bats, marlboros, skeletons etc. It's just so repetitive. The fact that Yiazmat is just a variant of the wyrms which you already fight like 20 different types of throughout the game is such a letdown. And Omega Mark XII is just a palette swap of the mimic queen from Barheim Passage? YAWN.

Also, the treasure chest system is a complete disaster. Oh, this chest contains 1 gil? Yay. Oh wait, if i go run 3 screens away and come back, it might respawn, and might contain something decent? And i only have to spend 5 minutes jogging my characters and being bored to tears to possibly get something good if the treasure respawns? Yuck.

I've never played it, which is odd because it's called "International", but the IZJS version fixes my biggest complaints, except not ever being able to change jobs is SO STUPID, but it's just a shame we got shafted so hard with this crap game here in the U.S. I pray for a HD remake of the IZJS, released in U.S, with changeable jobs and other fixes.
---
"My cat just gave birth to kittens, and none of them look like me. Hallelujah! Hallelujah!" - Tim Cavanagh
#2DrLight66(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2012 1:52:11 AM
I ran out of characters on my first post, but let me add a few more things. This game is basically just having your characters jog around, kill and grind against very easy enemies who aren't interesting or entertaining to fight against at all, jogging around some more, getting the occasional cutscene, jogging around some more, fighting easy bosses and enemies from the mandatory parts of the game, jogging around some more, jogging around some more, more jogging, even more jogging, accepting and completing boring tasks and sidequests that aren't rewarding at all except you have to do them in order to later do other things, rinse and repeat.

My favorite thing about the International version is that you get to fast-forward through the entire game, because 75% of it isn't actually playing the game or being entertained in any way shape or form.
---
"My cat just gave birth to kittens, and none of them look like me. Hallelujah! Hallelujah!" - Tim Cavanagh
#3Ecclesiastes273Posted 11/23/2012 2:09:25 AM
DrLight66 posted...
I ran out of characters on my first post, but let me add a few more things. This game is basically just having your characters jog around, kill and grind against very easy enemies who aren't interesting or entertaining to fight against at all, jogging around some more, getting the occasional cutscene, jogging around some more, fighting easy bosses and enemies from the mandatory parts of the game, jogging around some more, jogging around some more, more jogging, even more jogging, accepting and completing boring tasks and sidequests that aren't rewarding at all except you have to do them in order to later do other things, rinse and repeat.

Congratulations on deconstructing almost every JRPG ever made.
---
Seven. Point. Five.
#4MarikhenPosted 11/23/2012 2:33:24 AM
DrLight66 posted...
About 160 hours i put into the game, and I think in those 160 hours I had fun for about 60 of them and was bored out of my mind for the other 100.

Different strokes for different folks. I started getting bored at 118 hours and spent another 2 finishing off the story.

Vaan is the single most annoying main character in video game history, he's like the equivalent of Shia Lebouf.

I've always gotten the feeling that most people consider Vaan to be a supporting character, not a main character, and also that Tidus is the most annoying main character in any trunk FF title.

The hunts, the battle themselves are a lot of fun, but the way the developers handled it is idiotic. ... It's just artificially extending the length of the game and boring the player to death.

How would you suggest they be fixed while also preserving such things as "realism" and "believability?" I mean it's just not that believable to me that people will post jobs up on a BB and then hang around there for days or weeks at a time while their families starve, follow you out into the field, and hand over your reward the instant you're done.

The bazaar is a complete disaster. The game doesn't tell you diddly what you need or how much of it to make something.

Why should it?

In the entire game it feels like for regular enemies there's only about a dozen or so different types, but each type has about 40 different variants of itself so you end up fighting 500 different types of toads, bats, marlboros, skeletons etc. It's just so repetitive.

So what you're saying is that something that's been present ever since storage limits on cartridge-based games made palette swaps practically mandatory is only just now getting boring/repetitive? At least in FFXII there are often minor cosmetic differences. Some RPGs don't even bother palette swapping NPCs and just slap different names on the same model/skin. Hell, MMORPGs do it on a regular basis too.

Oh wait, if i go run 3 screens away and come back, it might respawn, and might contain something decent?

So what, you don't like respawning chests with randomized loot to give some slight variation to each run and would rather they all be static one-offs?

I've never played it, which is odd because it's called "International",

AFAIK "international" versions of Square/SE games never get English/western releases. That said there are translation patches and if you rip the BIOS from your PS2 you can play it just fine with an emulator.

but the IZJS version fixes my biggest complaints, except not ever being able to change jobs is SO STUPID,

So making a choice and being forced to stick with it, also called consequences of your actions, is suddenly a bad thing in gaming?

I pray for a HD remake of the IZJS, released in U.S, with changeable jobs and other fixes.

So you want FFXII:IZJSL(ight)?

This game is basically just having your characters jog around, kill and grind against very easy enemies ... rinse and repeat.

You've just described virtually every RPG, western and eastern, that I've ever played and almost every MMO. EVE Online is the only exception as you fly around, not jog, and the lack of "end game content" pretty much means that "grinding" need only be done if you wish to acquire money in a grind-able fashion.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#5Machines_Of_DogPosted 11/23/2012 2:54:22 AM(edited)
This topic has more tedious and ridiculous whinging than any topic i've ever read...

---
"No-one tries to kill me and gets away with it..."~ Kliamgroq
#6ShinGoukenPosted 11/23/2012 4:39:59 AM
DrLight66 posted...
About 160 hours i put into the game, and I think in those 160 hours I had fun for about 60 of them and was bored out of my mind for the other 100

I stopped reading after this. I simply do not care what you have to say because if you spent 100 hours doing something that bored you out of your mind then you are a terribly flawed human being. You CHOSE to do something you found to "bore you out of your mind" even though you're perfectly capable (i hope) of choosing to do something else. Then you come to a forum to complain that the game was boring? I find most sports boring, but i don't force myself to watch them for 100 hours and then find a forum to whinge about it to people who don't find it boring
---
FFXII Perfect game Inventory at 2400+ Hours - http://youtu.be/ALZMH7lvLdE
#7Fa1nTyPosted 11/23/2012 5:20:13 AM
I 100% completed the game, level 99's and killed Yaizmat in 72 hours.

I don't know what you did for the extra 90 hours, but that is probably why you didn't enjoy the game.
---
PSN : Fa1nT6
Dark Souls Tips - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB557B8555A0AD36A&feature=plcp
#8Destroyer_MagePosted 11/23/2012 5:40:49 AM
Crawl back into your Troll hole TC
---
Because I could not stop for death,it kindly stopped for me.
Currently playing Sleeping Dogs.Sleeping Dogs is a true gem and more people should play it :)
#9TaticalWarriorPosted 11/23/2012 6:56:00 AM
For the most tedious and ridiculous crap ever, but doing the entire game and sidequests, to the point of defeating Yazmat surely doesn't sounds like it.

Obviously you liked the experience, but was too biased to let yourself enjoy it.
---
Proud designer of Chip, the Runner Up Megaman Legends 3's Mascot Contest!
http://tinyurl.com/3r6wb4u
#10Machines_Of_DogPosted 11/23/2012 8:16:16 AM
i just actually read the whole of TC's post and i wonder if this guy is for real?

either a great troll or a pathetic joke-specimen...

TC, you suck at this game which is why you disliked it

/of

also, i really get annoyed when people talk about palette swaps... this isn't FFX - learn to use your eyes
---
"No-one tries to kill me and gets away with it..."~ Kliamgroq