This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just how negligible is the stat difference between characters?Few levels' worth?

#11Ecclesiastes273Posted 12/4/2012 4:19:31 PM
jamers posted...
Fair enough.
But back to the matter at hand: Ecclesiastes, any opinion on how much these stat differences weigh into the practical application of a battle team? I guess the main question is, about how many levels' worth of stat increases account for the difference between characters? In other words, if Fran is say four levels ahead of Ashe, will her magic power catch up, or is it closer to eight or so levels? etc.

Ah, yes, the topic. Apologies.

I don't know the specifics of stat gaps between characters, but from my own limited personal experience, the gaps mean close to nothing. The numbers will be higher or lower on paper, but never substantially so, and a choice piece of gear or a couple of specialized Augments will make so much more of a difference before everything's maxed out. I don't even vaguely consider it when I form my party, and I've yet to see a notable difference in performance. I've run Knife!Balthier, Ninja Sword!Balthier, Sword!Balthier, Mage!Balthier, and the worst that ever happened was that his MP pool was a bit lower that the girls' before Quickenings inflated it to comfortable levels, but nothing close to a true hindrance.
---
Seven. Point. Five.
#12ShinGoukenPosted 12/4/2012 4:45:38 PM
jamers posted...
Imagine that he (and his associates, Penelo and Reks) are removed from the story altogether. Say they never existed.

What happens differently?

If Vaan had not learned to overcome his desire for revenge, he could not have helped Ashe overcome her own desire for revenge. Therefore, she would not have chosen to destroy the Sun Cryst and would instead have used it to destroy the empire.

Vaan plays the same vital role that all the main characters play. They are there to guide Ashe and teach her valuable lessons as the game progresses. Balthier helps her overcome her desire for power (see Phon Coast scene), Basch helps her to bear the shame of failing to protect her kingdom (see Golmore Jungle scene) etc.

You didn't make the connection between her "i will destroy the empire" speech in Rabanastre and her deciding to destroy the Sun Cryst?

The only weak link is Fran. She's a stereotypical elf redesigned as a rabbit <_< and her only influence was reserved for Balthier
---
FFXII Perfect game Inventory at 2400+ Hours - http://youtu.be/ALZMH7lvLdE
#13jamers(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 4:50:09 PM
Ecclesiastes, thanks for the heads-up.

ShinGouken, I'm gonna have to wait till I get to the end of the game to hate on Vaan (or not?) some more; I haven't played the game in years and forgot some of the details. I do recall that I felt he was extraneous, though.

I'll let you know when I get there; just arrived in Eryut Village to bust some heads.
#14jamers(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 6:31:28 PM
Um, also, ShinGouken: did you really spend 2400+ hours to get a perfect inventory on this game?
#15Ecclesiastes273Posted 12/4/2012 7:40:01 PM
jamers posted...
Um, also, ShinGouken: did you really spend 2400+ hours to get a perfect inventory on this game?

As verified by video checkpoints.
---
Seven. Point. Five.
#16jamers(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 10:50:49 PM
Buuuuut.....

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?????
#17Ecclesiastes273Posted 12/5/2012 12:00:00 AM
jamers posted...
Buuuuut.....

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?????

It's an entertaining timesink, I assume. I've personally dropped about 1600 hours into Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, and another 400 into Monster Hunter Tri.
---
Seven. Point. Five.
#18ShinGoukenPosted 12/5/2012 2:37:06 AM
jamers posted...

It's closer to 2600 now. There will be a new inventory video when i hit 2600.

I've enjoyed the challenge... though i look forward to finishing and getting stuck into some of the many RPG's i've missed out on since starting =)
---
FFXII Perfect game Inventory at 2400+ Hours - http://youtu.be/ALZMH7lvLdE
#19mega_mouse_fartPosted 12/5/2012 2:44:10 AM
Ecclesiastes273 posted...
jamers posted...
Whine or no, the rest stands. He's totally extraneous. That's fine when you're dealing with a large roster like the fourteen playable characters in FFVI, but when you're talking about a cast of six characters and one third of them don't contribute anything to the story, that hurts.

Badly.

I'm not saying the game doesn't play out awkwardly, but relative to the rest of the party, Vaan is in the middle of the participation spectrum at worst.

-Penelo is more there to help establish Vaan in the early game than anything related to the story of the game. Pretty superfluous.
-Fran gets a rather nice moment in Eruyt Village, but not much else at all after that. Even her minimal banter is little more than cheap lore.
-Basch is somewhat important to the plot via Gabranth and Asch, but wow does the game do nothing with him.
-Vaan has a huge early game focus, and the "ghost" connection with Asch keeps him more relevant than half the cast. He also has some torque with Gabranth, for what it's worth. He's at least tied with Basch in relevance, for all the complaints about Basch having the lead "stolen" from him. I wouldn't be surprised if the change was made quite early in development.
-Asch and Balthier. Not much to argue; they're basically the protagonists/main characters.

The problem with Vaan's non-participation is a problem most of the cast shares. But looking at it in relative terms, he's a pretty prominent character. You're quite welcome to not like how the party and their adventure was a sidestory; I don't love it, either. I just don't think it's too fair to single out Vaan's role and contributions as such.

This, if you want to be cynical about it. He nailed it really.