This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

They should have also released this on Xbox 360

#11TruthPosted 12/4/2012 3:42:58 PM
IMO, it would have gotten more exposure in the West and sold more copies. Also, this game plays more like a WRPG than a JRPG, so it would have appealed more to the West and been able to ride the wave of WRPGs becoming more popular on home consoles.

Lastly, both FFXI and FFXIII were released on the Xbox 360. It seems strange to not have the numeral game between them released on the platform.
#2Soul59Posted 12/4/2012 3:55:17 PM
This doesn't play like a WPRG, it plays like an MMO. WRPGs are a failed attempt to say that Westerners play RPGs. When half of them are just action games with levels and EXP.
---
He who fights and runs away, lives to not have the f****** moon fall on him as an alternative - Tacitus
#3jamersPosted 12/4/2012 4:06:12 PM
Such bitterness. Of course westerners play RPGs. JRPGs are popular over here, as are our own brand. Read: Elder Scrolls: Arena and all its sequels.
#4ThamauturgePosted 12/5/2012 9:29:29 PM
The install base in 2006 for PS2 was absolutely MASSIVE... 360, not so much. Plus, lol at anyone buying a 360 if they care about JRPGs. No one with a 360 cares about JRPGs.
---
Vayne Solidor of the DD012FF Board
Currently playing: Majora's Mask (again), FFVIII, Vagrant Story (again)
#5Ecclesiastes273Posted 12/5/2012 11:49:36 PM
TC: Nah, not seeing it. PS2 was the platform of the time for offline games. Porting it anywhere else equates to severely diminished returns. Also, free development =/= WRPG. This is as much a JRPG as other games out there. A lack of anime inspiration does little to change that.

Soul59 posted...
This doesn't play like a WPRG, it plays like an MMO. WRPGs are a failed attempt to say that Westerners play RPGs. When half of them are just action games with levels and EXP.

We invented RPGs, and sorry we evolved past two football teams on a battlefield trading plays.

Have fun with your $20 battle systems.
---
Seven. Point. Five.
#6NeoTStylePosted 12/9/2012 11:08:56 AM
We invented RPGs, and sorry we evolved past two football teams on a battlefield trading plays.

Have fun with your $20 battle systems.

Call me crazy but somehow I doubt you helped invent RPGs.

And that was more of a devolution than anything. Your idea of an RPG is probably something among the likes of Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Skyrim. lol. These aren't RPGs. They're action games with arbitrary "experience points" that earn you perks.
The only real RPGs (Except for Fallout, well until Fallout 4 comes along anyway) these days are in fact the ones made in the East because the West has completely forgotten what the point of RPGs is.
But hey, I hope you enjoy that dark and edgy, manly Tolkien rip-off open world, choosing perks and having no stats or karma or dialogue options or any significance to the story other than being the chosen one.

At least it's not in any way related to Japan right? lol

Also the Xbox360 is a terrible system and the reason why videogames have been decreasing in quality ever since the start of this console generation.
#7SpirasGuardianPosted 12/9/2012 12:27:05 PM
hmmm, i think we saw what happens when FF goes to XBOX360.... *shutters at FFXIII

If you want to play a good RPG for XBOX360 try Dark Souls. not quite a Final Fantasy, but good none the less.
#81Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2012 2:02:19 PM
SpirasGuardian posted...
hmmm, i think we saw what happens when FF goes to XBOX360.... *shutters at FFXIII

FFXII could have easily run up-scaled on a Xbox 360, especially seeing as it's a PS2 game. They could have even ported the game to Xbox 360 after FFXIII was released. Heck, they can still port it. It's no too late.
#9SpirasGuardianPosted 12/9/2012 6:06:33 PM
1Truth posted...
SpirasGuardian posted...

FFXII could have easily run up-scaled on a Xbox 360, especially seeing as it's a PS2 game. They could have even ported the game to Xbox 360 after FFXIII was released. Heck, they can still port it. It's no too late.

Yeah i suppose, and i do agree it is weird that FFXI and FFXIII were on Xbox 360, but not the one in between. I cant say that i have a problem with that, i mean why would you want it on the Xbox360 for anyways, better graphics? Im dying to replay this game since i havent played it in years and its one of my favorites, but im holding out until i get a computer that can handle running it on an emulator smoothly. The results i've seen on this game with an emu is awesome, i recommend checking it out if its the graphics boost your interested in.

But if you just want it on Xbox360 because you prefer that system, it seems highly unlikely they would port it.
#101Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 3:16:51 PM
SpirasGuardian posted...
1Truth posted...
SpirasGuardian posted...

Yeah i suppose, and i do agree it is weird that FFXI and FFXIII were on Xbox 360, but not the one in between. I cant say that i have a problem with that, i mean why would you want it on the Xbox360 for anyways, better graphics? Im dying to replay this game since i havent played it in years and its one of my favorites, but im holding out until i get a computer that can handle running it on an emulator smoothly. The results i've seen on this game with an emu is awesome, i recommend checking it out if its the graphics boost your interested in.

But if you just want it on Xbox360 because you prefer that system, it seems highly unlikely they would port it.

They never released FFXII International Zodiac Job System outside of Japan. They could have released it exclusively on the Xbox 360. It will have probably sold an additional 1 million copies on top of the original FFXII.