This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pinewood/Sandalwood chop clarification

#1chuchurockettoPosted 9/30/2013 7:06:15 PM
I want to make sure my inventory contains both 1 Sandalwood chop and all 28 Pinewood chops. I can get Pinewood either by buying them or solving problems for people in Archades.

According to Split's missables guide, I should buy all 28 pinewood, trade for sandalwood, and then do the quests for another set of 28 pinewoods. HOWEVER, at this point I have nowhere close to the 560,000 gil needed to buy 28 pinewood chops.

If I do the quests FIRST and trade them for a Sandalwood Chop, will I be able to buy another 28 later? Or am I permanently screwing myself unless I buy first and do quests later? I.e., does the ability to buy pinewoods get sealed off as soon as you first trade for a sandalwood?
#2MajorMahalo1Posted 9/30/2013 8:07:46 PM(edited)
You've got to buy them first. If you do the quests, then chop guy won't sell any to you once you get enough for sandalwood.

You can farm the mirrorknights in the feywood for easy cash. Just look in the "what's the best place to farm loot to sell?(Post-Bergan)" Topic on the first page.

Edit: Actually, you could do 27 of the quests, buy 1 pinewood, trade for sandalwood and then do the last quest for another pinewood chop. If all you want is one of each.
---
"Tis the small crafts fate: to watch the list of the galleons and pray for light winds."
-Vossler Azelas, Final Fantasy XII-
#3verylatebloomerPosted 10/1/2013 3:44:16 AM
alternately, you can stay relatively close to where you are and chain the "striker" enemy down in Sochen Cave Palace (in the map that's shaped like a clock, with all the doors; they are plentiful). They drop maggoty flesh, so each time you max up to 99, you'll pull in over 73 K of gil, plus any Kagenui they drop (ultra rare drop, though) gains another 5 K. seven or eight bouts of that, selling off the stuff to the merchant in lowtown...
---
Sentry3X8A Dg Lvl23 522 hp S42 Hit%101 Mdef72 Abs54 Dmg50
161219XP 3527g 3H 3P 1Pa Ice[S] Stl[A] Slv[Sh] Slv[H] Slv[G]+L mako, Drg[S], ore
#4InnerSolacePosted 10/1/2013 8:18:28 AM
Dang, 560,000 gil? Hmmm...

I'm currently doing a 100% run, and I would also like to have the Pinewood and Sandalwood chops.

I will try MajorMahalo1's suggestion, however. I don't mind farming gil here and there, but I don't really feel like farming so much. I'm probably going to do one or two more Mirrorknight runs and then stop worrying about gil farming until later in the game.

I tell ya, Fomalhaut + Mud Shot makes Mirrorknight chaining a lot faster.

Right now I'm chaining Mirrorknights with Penelo as my lead (equipped with Fomalhaut + Mud Shot); I love the cute "kick-back" animation that she does when she fires a gun, lol.

I know, I went a bit off topic towards the end there. Sorry about that.
---
"Gaming? Booze? Hot girl? HOT DAMN, this is my kind of time!"
http://i.imgur.com/o3lQndv.png
#5astrophysPosted 10/2/2013 2:54:00 AM
InnerSolace posted...

I'm currently doing a 100% run, and I would also like to have the Pinewood and Sandalwood chops.

I will try MajorMahalo1's suggestion, however. I don't mind farming gil here and there, but I don't really feel like farming so much.

If you don't like farming, I'm not sure if you'll really enjoy doing a 100% run, as there would be a lot of farming involved.

I suggest that you just let go here.... no one is forcing you to do a 100% run... its just an arbitrary thing that you are pursuing yourself that will become dominated by farming. No one but you will care one way or the other if you follow through with this or not, so if you decide its not worth your time, then it isn't worth your time.

So in this case, there is no tangible benefit for farming that 560,000 gil, as it just leaves redundant copies of items that will do nothing extra sitting around in your inventory. Not a terribly good use of time. Moreover, if you are still trying to acquire most (even if not necessarily all) things, that sort of money is close to that which you need for the Tournesol.... so even if you did that much grinding purely for the money, I would argue that you'd want to spend it on something like that instead.
#6verylatebloomerPosted 10/2/2013 3:54:25 AM
astrophys posted...
Not a terribly good use of time.

unlike trolling other people's interests on forums....yeesh. will it never become less interesting to simply criticize how other people spend their time?
---
Sentry3X8A Dg Lvl23 522 hp S42 Hit%101 Mdef72 Abs54 Dmg50
161219XP 3527g 3H 3P 1Pa Ice[S] Stl[A] Slv[Sh] Slv[H] Slv[G]+L mako, Drg[S], ore
#7InnerSolacePosted 10/2/2013 6:16:19 AM
astrophys posted...
InnerSolace posted...

I will try MajorMahalo1's suggestion, however. I don't mind farming gil here and there, but I don't really feel like farming so much.

If you don't like farming, I'm not sure if you'll really enjoy doing a 100% run, as there would be a lot of farming involved.

I suggest that you just let go here.... no one is forcing you to do a 100% run... its just an arbitrary thing that you are pursuing yourself that will become dominated by farming. No one but you will care one way or the other if you follow through with this or not, so if you decide its not worth your time, then it isn't worth your time.

So in this case, there is no tangible benefit for farming that 560,000 gil, as it just leaves redundant copies of items that will do nothing extra sitting around in your inventory. Not a terribly good use of time. Moreover, if you are still trying to acquire most (even if not necessarily all) things, that sort of money is close to that which you need for the Tournesol.... so even if you did that much grinding purely for the money, I would argue that you'd want to spend it on something like that instead.

I could understand this if we were talking about a perfect game, but I am just doing a simple 100% game where I get at least 1 of every item/loot, complete every bazaar recipe, and well...do anything/everything else that pertains to getting 100% completion.

I never meant that I am against gil farming (or farming of any kind). In fact, I've gil farmed a lot in this game. What I meant at the time of my previous post was that I had already farmed up to about ~490K gil (I normally farm up to around this much, and sometimes around ~600K, so I have enough gil to last me for the rest of the game, and other optional things I may want to go after, until I have to get things together for the Tournesol and other expensive things). Basically, for me, buying all of the Pinewood chops would mean farming around ~1M gil so that I would have enough left over to last for the other things that I want to do. It's just that I wanted to move on with the story at that particular moment. That's why I said I'd go with MajorMahalo1's suggestion; since this isn't a perfect game, I only need 1 Pinewood chop and 1 Sandalwood chop.

Believe me, I am not against farming in RPGs of any kind. In fact, I find it quite fun. Not so fun to the point that I would do something like a perfect game, though. However, I commend those who do perfect games. That's just way too much for me, personally.

I love getting the Tournesol. For me, it's one of the funnest things to do in the game.
---
"Gaming? Booze? Hot girl? HOT DAMN, this is my kind of time!"
http://i.imgur.com/o3lQndv.png
#8espritduoPosted 10/3/2013 4:01:26 PM
You don't need to buy all 28 chops your first time through Archades. Just buy the six you need to use the air cab (still expensive, but not horribly so), and come back at your leisure to buy the other 22 for the Sandalwood Chop. And then after that, do the sidequest to get another 28 pinewoods.
---
Like FFVI? Read mah prequel, The Sands of Time! http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6209029/1/Final_Fantasy_VI_The_Sands_of_Time