Purple Nines Glitch, Darkel, Donald Love, And more, revised, Vers 2.0!

#1Xombie_SlayaPosted 2/3/2006 1:05:58 PMmessage detail
This is a revised topic of the original. To help those with common problems, as well as show people new ways to do old things. This topic will contain spoilers, which I will mark.

Purple Nines Glitch

(Q)How do I get this Glitch?

(A)By completeing all of D-Ice's missions. The game then never loads Purple Nines again on the same save block.

(Q)I read the FAQ and it says I have to delete my save block, but I dont wanna.

(A)To keep your save block, AND have Purple Nines do the following:

Turn off your PS2, and remove the Memory Card. Restart your PS2 and let GTA3 load up normally without the card. Finish up your first mission crap and head to the Portland Hideout. Insert your Memory Card and save. Save this new file anywhere you want, and whenever you want Nines, use this file to start a new game.

Donald Love's Dissaperance.

(Q) Where did Love go?

(A) Nobodys sure what happened to him. Make up your own reason for why he left, cause Rockstar aint tellin.

Darkel

(Q) Who is Darkel?

(A) Darkel was a bum character who gave you missions, but was removed before the game was released. The common theory is that his missions were Terroist Releated and Rockstar removed him because of 9/11. Nobody knows if this is true, except Rockstar.

Main Characters name.

(Q) What is the main characters name? Is he Tommy Vercetti?

(A) No, he is not Tommy. Common belief is that his name is Claude, maybe the same guy from GTA2. This is still an unproven theory, and not everyone thinks he is Claude, so call em whatever you want.

Rarusk had the following to say about this subject. *San Andreas spoilers ahead.*

The whole Claude deal stems from his appearance in "GTA: San Andreas". It is during this game that he meets up with Catalina and becomes her boyfriend. CJ, the main character of San Andreas, will get two phone calls from Catalina in which the name Claude is mentioned. The first call invloves a wrong number (she thinks she is talking to Claude but has called CJ instead) and the second phone call, at the end of the Main Story missions, has her having sex with Claude while on the phone with CJ.

His last name, Speed, stems from GTA2. At the beginning of the game there is a live action intro. At the back of the manual is the credits for it. In it it lists "Scott Maslen as Claude Speed". Since Claude is mentioned in San Andreas it is assumed that his full name is indeed Claude Speed.

This won't stop people from calling him Fido of course. But I felt I should fill you in on the details.
The whole Claude deal stems from his appearance in "GTA: San Andreas". It is during this game that he meets up with Catalina and becomes her boyfriend. CJ, the main character of San Andreas, will get two phone calls from Catalina in which the name Claude is mentioned. The first call invloves a wrong number (she thinks she is talking to Claude but has called CJ instead) and the second phone call, at the end of the Main Story missions, has her having sex with Claude while on the phone with CJ.

His last name, Speed, stems from GTA2. At the beginning of the game there is a live action intro. At the back of the manual is the credits for it. In it it lists "Scott Maslen as Claude Speed". Since Claude is mentioned in San Andreas it is assumed that his full name is indeed Claude Speed.

This won't stop people from calling him Fido of course. But I felt I should fill you in on the details.

<cont>
---
I don't want to *****, but can you guys please you grammar? - WarGreymon_2
#2Xombie_Slaya(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2006 1:09:39 PMmessage detail
SpudY2K added the following to the GTA3 Guy name thingy.

The name Claude is actually in the GTA3 game. Originally you were going to be able to name your character like in older GTA games and the default name would be Claude. This is found in the file where all game text is kept.

For proof of this you need to extract the GTX file on your GTA3 disk. To do this you need the GTX editor, you can get it from here:
http://www.gtanetwork.it/zone/pafiledb.php?action=download&id=378

Put your GTA3 disk into your DVD drive and run the program. Go to file -> open, then select your DVD drive, go into the GTX folder of the disk and open English.txt (or whatever language you like). Scroll down to find a row called DEFNAM and there you will see his name.

For people too lazy to do that, here's a screenshot of mine:
http://img179.echo.cx/my.php?image=claude4nq.jpg

Please note these links may or may not work, they are not mine.

Maria on Chatterbox.

(Q) I've beaten the last mission, so how come Maria is still on Chatterbox?!

(A) Chatterbox is a looped station like all the others, if you start a new game, and sit in the car with 8-Ball on the bridge and listen to Chatterbox long enough, Maria will talk about you.

Ghost Peds.

(Q) I killed a Ped, but he's still standing there in a pool of blood and I cant hurt him. WTF?!

(A) Sometimes the game is running so fast it glitches a dead ped. They will remain there for a short while before disappering. You can make his happen more often by using the Speed Up Time Cheat.

Hooker Glitch.

(Q) I picked up a hooker, took her to some grass and all I got was 125 Health. How come the car didnt bounce?

(A) The car will not bounce if your in a car with a converitable top. (Stinger, Stallion, Banshee, etc.)

Getting to Shoreside Vale early without cheating.

(Q) I want to go to Staunton and Shoreside to get the packages/rampages/etc but I dont want to cheat. Is this possible?

(A) Yes. Go to Easy Credit Auto's in Portland and jack the Banshee there. When you leave, note the grass over behind the Car Crusher. Past this grass is a long white road. Follow it untill your actually on top of the Tunnel Entrance. BACK THE BANSHEE towards the water, the car should be sitting on the very middle line in this area, it's not hard to see really. When the rear wheels fall off the edge, the car will start to fall, quickly hit Triangle before the car does so, and TADA! Your actually ontop of the Porter Tunnel and can freely acess Staunton Island without cheating. Once you get to Staunton, jack a car and drive to SSV using the Tunnel, it wont be blocked off untill Staunton is unlocked by beating all of Portlands missions.
<cont>
---
#3Xombie_Slaya(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2006 1:16:30 PMmessage detail
(Q) How do I get the Package on the roof of the Liberty Pharmictuals building?

(A) There are three ways, that I find the easiest methods.

1) Get on the El Train Tracks in St Marks, and walk towards Trenton. As you truck along you'll see a building with two huge Smoke Stacks, once you can clearly see the roof of this building, look over the edge of the tracks, a small ledge will be made from a support beam. Walk carefully onto this ledge and then run and jump to the roof. From there work your way to the front and the package is yours. (this method courtesy of the Hidden Packages Guide.)

2) Follow the first method, using a car on the tracks. I find the Banshee or Police Car the easiest to wedge onto the tracks, and they both have good speed.

3) Get yourself an Ambulance, (beat a few people to death with a ballbat, or jack one from the hospital.) or a Yankee, (one can be found in the Portland Docks, near the water.) Drive across the street from the Dog Food factory, infront of you will be an intersection, park close to the corner, and then get atop your truck. (if you chose a Yankee, jack a nearby car to jump atop it.) and the package should be easily reached with a mere jump.

Getting the hidden package on the Lift Bridge before unlocking SSV.

(Q) How can I get the package on the Lift Bridge?! It's the last one I need and I dont have SSV unlocked yet.

(A) Go to the Airport and jack a Dodo. Fly the Dodo to the bridge and crashland onto the lifted bridge. From there, the package is yours pretty easily.

Getting ontop of Love Media Building.

(Q) How do I get to the top of the Love Media Building?

(A) You can fly a Tank up there. Takes alot of practice, but if you stick with it. You'll make it. I have also been informed you can use the Dodo as well, though I've never done it personally, feel free to try.

Helicopters.

(Q) Can I fly Helicopters like in VC/SA?

(A) No. The only flyable things in the game are the Tank and the Dodo.

<cont>
---
#4Xombie_Slaya(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2006 1:28:00 PMmessage detail
Ghost Town.

(Q) Where is Ghost Town?

(A) Behind Shoreside Vale.

(Q) How do I get there?

(A) Flying the Dodo. There is a very good FAQ for learning how to fly it. You can also use the Tank, but it's a tad harder to fly.

(Q) Can I land on Ghost Town?

(A) No, not unless you have the PC version and a mod that makes it soild. The PS2 version has no real soild pieces of Ghost Town large enough to land on.

Blue Hell.

(Q) How can I acess blue hell?/What is blue hell?

(A) Blue hell is an area in the game where there is no soild ground. You wall fall into a strange area under the city, and then reapper somewhere else -5 health. Theres alot of places to find it, so just look around.

Pissing on Walls Cheat.

(Q) What is the Pissing on walls cheat?

(A) It does not exist.

Purple Esperanto.

(Q) Where do I find the Purple Esperanto.

(A) You dont. It doesnt exist outside of Gameshark codes.

(Q) How do I get a Lightless Taxi/Graphtiless Rumpo XL?

(A) Usually you just happen upon one. This commonly happens when alot of Taxi or Rumpo XL's spawn on the screen at one time, the game forgets to load, or cannot load in time, the Graphti/Light.

Missable Bulletproof Cars.

There are 5 One Time Only bulletproof cars. They are listed as well as the missions they can be gotten in.

Securicar: Van Heist.
Trashmaster: Blow Fish.
Mafia Black Limo: Salvatores Called a Meeting.
Bobcat: Evidence Dash.
Barracks OL: Arms Shortage.

The Limo and Trashmaster are to large to be stored in the Portland Hideout and you must use the Flying Cars cheat to save them. The others require no cheats, and by far the easiest two to get, are the slowest. ~_~ Securicar, and Barracks OL. More information can be found in the Bullet Proof Cars FAQs.

Flying Cars

This is a more or less random glitch that occurs from time to time. There are ways to make this occur, but I cannot remember them. Do check the topic, I'm sure someone will have a method.

A little more on Darkel.

From: majorbase2 | Posted: 6/10/2005 5:38:10 PM | Message Detail
Probably not spoilers, but just in case: MAYBE SPOILERS

Something starnge I noticed. I was watching the credits at the end of the game and I noticed at one point, when it showed who voiced which character (at least I think thats what it was for) it listed Darkel. I wasn't able to catch the name in time though.

Anybody else noticed that?

From: MattitudeY2J | Posted: 6/10/2005 6:42:05 PM | Message Detail
Darkel was NOT removed because of 9/11. It would of been impossible, plus Rockstar themselves stated that nothing was altered from 9/11.

In the time it would take to remove Darkel, and remove all of his missions / change them to rampages, as well as print enough copies of the game in time for the October 22nd release just isn't possible.

The following two responses are from SpudY2K referring to the above.

Yeah, it also lists his name in the manual, it's Bill Fiore or something like that.

While you're right that Darkel's missions weren't changed due to 9/11 (it was because they decided that they preferred the old Kill Frenzy style missions from their previous games), they did alter the colour of the police cars and enforcers from New York style blue and white to black and white as a sign of respect. You can still see the old colour police cars and enforcers in the opening to GTA3, on the map that comes with the game as well as many old beta screenshots.

They also did this in Vice City, you can see the original design inside the manual, I can't work out why the changed them in that game though.

<cont>
---
#5Xombie_Slaya(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2006 1:40:26 PMmessage detail
Finding the Mr Whoope.

Without a doubt, the Mr Whoope Ice Cream Van is THE rarest car in the game. Below, is the best method you can use to find it.

After 100 or more hours of gameplay, I've only encountered the Mr. Whoopee ONCE randomly driving around. I was on Shoreside Vale, of all places. And I heard it, didn't even see it. When I looked around, it was gone. So, for the n00bs:

IF YOU'RE LOOKING TO DELIVER MR. WHOOPEE TO THE GARAGE: it's not worth waiting for it to show up. Play the firetruck mission (any island) and eventually Mr. Whoopee will appear on fire. Put out the fire first =P and get out of the firetruck and take Mr. Whoopee. Play the victory jingle all the way to the garage.

Thank yous to NatashaQuick for this method, which is the most commonly used, and most effective method of getting the damned thing.

Is Phil the SAME PHIL?!

Many people have asked if Phil Cassidy in GTA3 and Phil Cassidy from GTA:VC are the same person. Here is something I think will help explain why they seem simallar, yet different at the same time.

(VICE CITY AND SAN ANDREAS SPOILERS AHEAD)

From very tight research, it's obvious that Rockstar is very meticulous about how the GTA's tie in with one another. Hence Donald Love in the "Two Bit Hit" mission, Claude appearing in San Andreas (I heard somewhere that you can even see him in the background in one of the cutscenes, but I guess I haven't gotten that far yet... damn you, meticulously placed Vice City hidden packages!), etc. etc. I doubt that Rockstar, being as careful as they are in GTA tie-ins, would be so careless when returning an old character to a new game (like Donald or Claude). Not to mention, like previously stated, that the two Phil Cassidy's look and sound completely different. Just like Cid in the Final Fantasies is almost ALWAYS an airship pilot or involved with an airship in some way or another (though this can be argued with Tactics) but is never the exact same character, such is Phil in the respect that he's in the army. The arm being blown off was probably just a character-relation gag; a running joke, if you will (in a manner similar to Homer strangling Bart).

I'm not claiming this to be the end-all, beat-all explanation, but it seems to make the most sense.

Thank you Whammychip.

Disc Read Error.

The Disc Read Error (henceforth known as DRE) is a common problem with PS2 discs. There are several methods to solving it.

1) Clean your disc with a soft cloth.
2) If that doesnt work, blow inside of your PS2 with the Disc Drawer open.
3) If that also fails to work, take a vaccum cleaner, and vaccum off the vents on the front and back of PS2.
4) If that also fails, buy a can of compressed air. (About 5 dollars American at almost any store.) and blow it into the PS2's open Disc Drawer, and through the rear vent.
5) If all that has failed, and your warranty has expired, then CAREFULLY take your PS2 apart, and GENTLY clean the lens with a dry cotton swab. If your warranty is still good, send it to Sony to be repaired.

That covers about everything I can think of. Please feel free to ask any questions, post any theorys, and so on. A friendly board veteran will answer your question(s) and talk about your theorys to the best of their ability. And HAVE A NICE DAY! 8)
---
#6JBear427Posted 2/3/2006 4:10:22 PMmessage detail
It just isn't the same without "Huggable Joker Inc" at the top. But I digress...
---
"No... I just wanted to piss you off before I kill you."
GTA3 & VC 100%; SA: End of the Line
#7The ArchonPosted 2/3/2006 9:14:02 PMmessage detail
On finding a Mr. Whoopie (most likely for the Import/Export garage) *small spoiler*:

It's totally possible to finish the "I Scream, You Scream" mission without destroying the Mr. Whoopie you are provided. You're supposed to blow up Mr. Whoopie, but you can just gun the guys down instead.

Aside form that I agree the fire truck/vigilante missions seem to be about the only other viable option.
---
"When speaking of the dead, it is best to remain cryptic." - Ormus
#8The ArchonPosted 2/3/2006 9:24:31 PMmessage detail
Also, if you need a Securicar for the import/export garage (since it isn't exaclty common either) you will get one in the mission "Decoy" much later in the game. The fire truck/vigilante method is also a much easier way to find one than just driving around and hoping.
---
#9Xombie_Slaya(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2006 2:15:33 PMmessage detail
I thought about adding in the 'I scream you scream' mission Whoope, but most people shooting for 100% usually do the R3 missions before any storyline missions.

As for the Securicar, I forgot about that mission.
---
#10The ArchonPosted 2/4/2006 3:29:18 PMmessage detail
It's true that it's good sense to do the R3 missions early, especially ambulance. But even then it could take a while for Mr. Whoopie to show up. Still, considering in all the time I've played this game, I've seen Mr. Whoopie driving around once, and securicars maybe 3 times at most, Firetruck/Vigilante sounds pretty good.
---