This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pros and cons of Lyn carry over for HHM?

#1King_TakashiPosted 10/18/2010 1:48:01 PM
---
You win again, gravity! - Zapp Brannigan
#2DarksamuszPosted 10/18/2010 2:00:53 PM
On the upside, you have the opportunity to train many of the units who will return to you not too far into Hector Hard Mode. You can use the 12 chapters of Lyn's mode to train Lyn, make her useful and a dodge tank. Fragile units like Erk also benefit heavily from this extra training, as they can actually return useful in Hard Mode.

On the downside, you will have to sit through 12 chapters of Lyn mode just to train characters you may or may not use that much. Plus, Lyn's mode isn't that exciting to most people.
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
#3King_Takashi(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2010 2:04:14 PM

On the upside, you have the opportunity to train many of the units who will return to you not too far into Hector Hard Mode. You can use the 12 chapters of Lyn's mode to train Lyn, make her useful and a dodge tank. Fragile units like Erk also benefit heavily from this extra training, as they can actually return useful in Hard Mode.

On the downside, you will have to sit through 12 chapters of Lyn mode just to train characters you may or may not use that much. Plus, Lyn's mode isn't that exciting to most people.

So turns don't carry over? Lulz, awesome.
---
You win again, gravity! - Zapp Brannigan
#4DarksamuszPosted 10/18/2010 2:20:57 PM
No, turns don't carry over into Hector's Hard Mode.

The only thing that carries over from Lyn's mode, besides your characters' stats, is the Funds rank. By that, I mean that your Funds rank in Lyn's mode will affect the gem that Lyn comes with when she returns later on in the game. Lyn can either arrive with a White Gem, Blue Gem, Red Gem, or no gem, and obviously, you want that White Gem. Basically, use only one of the Angelic Robe, Knight's Crest or Energy Ring obtained in Lyn's mode, and you can still get the White Gem.

Oh, but if you do Lyn's Normal Mode, it is possible to use 2 of the 3 items I named and still receive the White Gem.
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
#5KnarfTheOutlawPosted 10/18/2010 3:42:33 PM

He's got it here. The main pro is the freedom to control your HHM a little bit more.

You have the ability to train units that would otherwise be weaker and eliminate the fragile nature of the first few HHM chapters. You have to train Matthew unless you want to lose time in the first chapter of HHM. If you want to make any use of Erk, he needs to be at a higher level as well. Serra can get a good level boost and satisfy the immediate need for a healer. Units that return in Noble Lady of Caelin have the potential to be a little bit stronger. Train Kent and Sain, and you'll have two Cavaliers waiting for you. Train Lyn, and she won't be dying all over the place. Train Wil, and you won't have to struggle (as much) through the first painful fifteen or so levels it takes to get an archer to be self-sufficient.

Probably the most beneficial aspect of Lyn's Mode, although I admittedly don't take advantage very often, is the turn abuse strategy coupled with Wallace's Knight's Crest. If you go about it the right way, you can have a level 20/1 Kent or Sain waiting for you. Units that you won't ever use (or that don't need the EXP) don't have to see the light of day. I always find myself benching Dorcas and Rath, at the very least.

Cons?

I can't think of any real cons. It's going to take a couple of hours, yes, but the levels are not particularly frustrating or difficult. The effort is more than worth it, I would think, considering the time and effort that can be wasted in restarting chapters. Arena abuse seems to be given higher value than extra Lyn's Mode training, and this just seems illogical to me.
---
With Much Love,
KnarfTheOutlaw
#6KreedDestroyerPosted 10/18/2010 4:20:21 PM
Don't forget that you can train units to level 20 via boss abuse