This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

HHM S-Rank Help

#1EnulfPosted 10/27/2010 10:45:46 PM
I have beat this game several times including EHM and I have played in HHM before as well, but never got an S-rank. I am looking for advice on a team to use in order to fight well while conserving funds. In the past I would only use pent as a prepromote and use many items promoting units hurting my funds rank. How many can I reasonably afford to promote for an S-rank?

Here are the unpromoted I'm partial to:

Hector, Eliwood, Florina, Serra, Raven, and since it's for S-rank, I figure Kent and Sain are in order.
I'm also considering Lucius, Matthew/Legault, Fiora, Priscilla.

For fillers I would use Guy, Lyn, + excess characters above
For prepromotes I'm considering Pent, Farina, Jaffar, Athos, Harken, Geitz

Who should I use and who deserves a promotion and how many?

For the record, I have never used the triangle attack, but I just find pegasus knights extremely useful.

Also am I correct in that Lyn's mode has no bearing on HHM rank? Because I'm currently using boss abuse to level up Florina, Serra, Kent, Sain, and Nils.
#2ShyCurlsPosted 10/27/2010 10:58:21 PM
Oswin.
---
http://i35.tinypic.com/osfih5.jpg
http://www.formspring.me/JigglePhysics
#3Sword_Demon66Posted 10/27/2010 11:03:31 PM
First, No Lyn Mode doesn't affect the main part, so abuse away. Also, if this is you're first S-Rank attempt I'd actually recommend some abuse. It'll make the early game much more manageable (though less fun/challenging IMO).
So to start off, Lyn Mode. Who should you you and abuse? Well that depends. Because you said you'll be using the Sain/Kent combo, I'd recommend getting one of them to level 20 and promoting them. This will save you 20K in the funds rank later on. I'd also suggest you use both stat boosters. The only catch is that you won't get the white gem in Ch. 15 NLoC, thus hampering your funds sort of (?). Also, because you're opting to abuse Lyn Mode, you need to decide which Magic user you want to focus on. Trust me using Erk and Lucius isn't a good idea financially. They both use expensive tomes that you don't want to have to fund the entire game. If you're going with Pent for sure, then don't power up Erk much, as he'll just be filler. Lucius is usually good statistically but can't take more than one hit physically. He is your main offensive light (lol) user though and he gets C in staves upon promotion. I personally prefer Serra as a healer -> Bishop but it's really you're call. You can discard both Will and Dorcas, as they're utter trash in HHM. Also make sure you only use Wallace minimally and give the EXP to more important folks. Because Lyn is only filler as you said, she doesn't need much higher than level 9 or so, just for survivability off the bat. IMPORTANT! Make sure you feed Matthew lots of EXP. You're going to want him at least level 6 minimum in order to make Ch. 11 HHM anything besides utter madness. He's important, a good unit overall and lots of availability. Don't use Rath either, he comes too late in HHM and is stuck with bows until promotion. Hes just a more mobile Wil basically. Lastly if you like Peg knights. Boost Florina to around 9-12 to make her a more viable rescuer and not pure bantha fodder for anything not holding a sword. She really does turn out excellent most of the time. So thats my advice for Lyn's mode if you're abusing. If I missed something, I'm sure someone will point it out, but this was pretty exhaustive.
---
Its important to, uh, swallow before you begin inhaling during a breath. *coughcough* ~Day[9]
#4MustavusPosted 10/27/2010 11:12:55 PM
Also am I correct in that Lyn's mode has no bearing on HHM rank? Because I'm currently using boss abuse to level up Florina, Serra, Kent, Sain, and Nils.

S-ranking Lyn mode gives you a white gem, worth 10k gold towards your fund rank. Losing it's not the end of the world, but it's also not something to ignore, entirely. It's equivalent to the value of promoting a character.

Pretty sure lower ranks give you less valuable gems, but I've forgotten exactly how it works and I'm too lazy to even begin to think about where to look it up, since it doesn't seem to be mentioned on SF. I'm guessing A-rank gives the 5k gem, B 2k, and C 1k, but I couldn't say, for certain.
---
I need a good signature.
#5Enulf(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2010 1:06:03 AM
Ok thanks for your help. I guess, with abusing Lyn's mode and losing a white gem, I can make up for it by promoting Kent or Sain, right? I mean, I won't be recruiting Wallace later anyway, so the knight crest is basically a free Lyn (hard) mode item.

Also, yes, I am training Kent, Sain, Florina, and Serra to levels 20/1, 16-20, 12-14, and 16-20 respectively. I have trained Matthew to lvl 5 so far, and Lucius to lvl 7. Actually I am not going to use erk at all, and am debating whether to even use lucius. Hopefully Serra will pan out, and priscilla will be my back-up healer until Pent joins, who is someone I want to use.

I am also debating who to promote in Lyn mode, between Kent and Sain. My Kent didn't turn out great, but he's fine at lvl 19 with HP 36 Str 13 Skill 13 Sp 14 Luck 9 Def 10 Res 3.
Sain: lvl 15 with HP 30 Str 16 Skill 8 Sp 11 Luck 13 Def 10 Res 3. A bit low on skill and speed, but lucky.

As for Oswin, yeah I guess I'll be forced to use him at least until Lyn's team joins at Chapter 16.

So for promotions in HHM, I will have Sain, Serra, Florina, Hector, Eliwood, Raven, Fiora, Legault.
Already promoted will be Kent, Pent, Harken, Geitz, Jaffar, and Farina
Fillers will be Oswin, Lyn, Matthew, Guy, Priscilla, Marcus

1. Is that too many promotions for a good funds rank?

2. Am I missing anything important?
#6CzardiaPosted 10/28/2010 2:06:40 AM
Promote Lyn and Oswin.
#7EmsanityPosted 10/28/2010 3:11:43 AM
Well, I would not promote Matthew or Legault, primarily because the Fel Contract is 5X the value of other promotion items. 50K. And Farina does not come promoted. Do not use Farina, because she costs 20K in gold, which is essentially 40K thanks to the silver card.

If you need an assassin, Jaffar is much better for that task anyway.

Also, the gem in Lyn's mode is only dependant on funds. Course, if you are going to abuse and promote, might as well use the stat boosters too. Keep in mind this will also impact your exp rank to some degree, as levels gained in Lyn Mode can't be gained in HHM. In particular, I don't recommend leveling Serra so much.

---
Operation Failure was a complete success!
#8MustavusPosted 10/28/2010 3:33:49 AM
Farina's not a pre-promoted unit. Between her recruitment and promoting her, she'll run you 30k, total.

Three pegs seems kind of overkill, anyway. They're not exactly doing wonders for your combat rank.

Don't promote Legault. Assassins are not designed for combat. Thieves are there to boost your funds rank and steal useful items. Assassins can't steal from enemy inventories, and the promotion item is a costly 50k. You might want to reconsider Jaffar, too. His high strength keeps him from being terrible, but being stuck with swords

For frame of reference, Serenes Forest suggests you need 847,000 combined funds to 5-star it. After factoring in the value of S-rank weapons (which you should avoid using), it's more like 700,000.

In short,

Characters I'd dump: Farina, Jaffar, and Eliwood in the somewhat likely event that he gets RNG-screwed
Characters I'd consider in their place: Oswin, Guy, Erk, Lucius, Lowen, Priscilla, Marcus

Don't promote Legault
Don't use S-rank weapons

Possibly expand your base of fillers (Dorcas, Bartre, Dart, and Hawkeye are all decent choices for the times they're adequately leveled, as they're all reasonably sturdy, and axes are dirt cheap). Maybe it's just me, but exp rank's the only one that's ever given me much trouble. If you can spread the exp around without hurting your combat rank too much, then yay.
---
I need a good signature.
#9Enulf(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2010 7:25:24 AM
Okay so I wont promote Legault, and I won't recruit Farina.

I have had bad Eliwoods before so I kind of agree there, I might end up not promoting him. I just find Lyn's strength isn't doing well in Lyn mode here, so I won't promote her either. But Hector can do the job without those two right?

Okay so more filler characters for exp, and don't train Serra too much. And don't use S-rank weapons.
Fillers such as Oswin, Lowen, Marcus, Dorcas, Bartre, Dart, Lucius, Priscilla, Guy, and the thieves, and Lyn and Eliwood.

With Jaffar I figured the criticals and OHKOs would make up for his low attack strength.

So 700 k + S-rank weapons is a lot. Promotion items are worth 20 k. I 'll be losing 100 k promoting Sain, Florina, Fiora, Raven, and Serra.
#10Sword_Demon66Posted 10/28/2010 7:25:29 AM
Characters I'd dump: Farina, Jaffar, and Eliwood in the somewhat likely event that he gets RNG-screwed
Characters I'd consider in their place: Oswin, Guy, Erk, Lucius, Lowen, Priscilla, Marcus

Don't promote Legault
Don't use S-rank weapons

Possibly expand your base of fillers (Dorcas, Bartre, Dart, and Hawkeye are all decent choices for the times they're adequately leveled, as they're all reasonably sturdy, and axes are dirt cheap).

Several key things here. First, if you're willing to go to NoF (recommended) then I see no problem in using Jaffar as late game filler. He really does have excellent bases and does a good standin. Also NoF will help your funds and EXP rank significantly with all the treasure to loot and enemies to kill.
Second, If you absolutely insist on using a third flyer, go with Heath. He costs way less than Farina and gets HHM bonuses which makes him marginally better. He is still difficult to train with all the magic users and bows in the ensuing chapters.
Third, don't take Mustavus over zealously. When he says use Dorcas, Bartre, and Dart, he means for they're respective recruitment chapters a a few after. These three units in particular aren't good statistically and will cost you more in the long run (especially Dart). Just use them earlygame and forget about them.
Lastly, I still wouldn't recommend Erk, as his RNG screwage rate is second highest only to Eliwood! Your just better off with Pent and Nino for pure EXP gain. Lowen, Guy and Priscilla are are very good upon recruitment and for several levels, but don't pan out a lot of the times. Pansyness aside, Guy gets strength screwed a LOT. Even with that nice HHM boost. Lowen is a defensive beast with great movement but poor offensive skills. Use him mainly for defense. Because you're already using Kent/Sain, theres really no need for him unless Sain continues to suck for you.

I think thats all.
---
Its important to, uh, swallow before you begin inhaling during a breath. *coughcough* ~Day[9]