This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you turn while grappling?

#1MwulfPosted 11/16/2008 7:54:21 PM
Yeah... just got the game and I'm stuck in the first (real) dungeon. I just got the grappling hook and I'm at a point where I need to swing from one ledge to another that's at a 45 degree angle. From what I read in the FAQs, I should be able to change the direction I'm swinging somehow... only I can't figure out how to do that.

Can someone help me out here?
---
"The chains of comfort are what keep us from reaching a better world."
-Jordan Collier
#2ColebyPosted 11/16/2008 7:56:29 PM
Before you actually throw the hook, just move the analogue to the direction you're aiming for, which is presumably the grappling bar overhead. Make sure to wait for the red aim cursor to blink yellow so that it aligns with the bar before you throw.
---
This is a scratch-and-sniff sig. Go ahead, try it!
"Coleby your sig made me break my monitor" ~ kill3r619
#3Mwulf(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2008 8:01:40 PM
No, I've tried that. Here....

.......B
........|
____|____C
........|
........|
.......A

That's what the area looks like. It's a pit of lava with a branch in the middle and two ledges. I can only swing to Ledge B (starting at ledge A), but that's a dead end--I need to get to Ledge C. The branch is at a bit of an angle (\) so it looks like I ought to be able change directions somehow... but I can't. Alternating where I stand/orient link while I launch the grappling hook doesn't seem to work either. No matter what I do, I'm stuck on the vertical axis.
---
-Jordan Collier
#4benoit489Posted 11/16/2008 9:00:56 PM
Hold down R. You'll stop swinging, and while still holding R you can rotate left or right. Let go once you've lined yourself up and you can start swinging again. Enjoy the rest of the game! =)
---
Spaceman Spiff
#5Mwulf(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2008 10:08:21 PM
Ah, thank you. I just bought a GCN for the two Zelda games... I'm lovin' both... this stuff is fantastically cheap these days.

---
-Jordan Collier
#6benoit489Posted 11/16/2008 10:22:46 PM
Yeah, Wind Waker is my favorite. TP might feel lifeless after playing through WW. The first 3 dungeons of TP are really great, but after that the game dies.
---
Spaceman Spiff
#7benoit489Posted 11/16/2008 10:28:13 PM
You should also get Star Fox Assault. That game is a lot of fun.
---
Spaceman Spiff
#8narutogeek101Posted 11/17/2008 1:42:09 PM
do it the way i did before i learned how to turn: hold R untill you stop and climb up to the top of the poll, stand on it, and jump to the side you want to be at lol

real way: hold R untill you stop and tilt the controll stick in the direction you want to turn
---
Marcus: I think it's best to have physically strong players on our team right now.
Ken: I think that's bull**** ~ Survivor lulz
#9Mwulf(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2008 3:19:18 PM
Hehe, finally got through that and now I'm at the Deku Tree. I'd stopped playing TP because I got stuck at the point with the goron... I must've tried getting by him for a good two hours. Finally, today, I realized I wasn't SUPPOSED to get passed 'im. Ulgh.

I think they're both great games, but TP is more of an OoT type game--very "classic" and "dark" whereas WW is more like Majora's Mask... brighter, more light-hearted. They're both enjoyable, in their own way. And WW's cel-shading is some of the best there is, on the same level as the fantastic Valkyria Chronicles and DQVIII, in my opinion, so it's aged quite, quite well. 2D tends to look better, longer than 3D.

But, yeah, there are a good number of GCN games I'd like to try and play, but they're really hard to find these days. The local stores have a pretty paltry selection--took me two weeks to find WW. So far, the only other title I've had to play is Rogue Leader. I dunno, I should be getting a $25 amazon thing from GameFAQs soon, so maybe I can find something there for a good price.
---
-Jordan Collier
#10Inoka1Posted 11/17/2008 6:32:34 PM
OoT DARK?!?
mm LIGHT?!?

jeez, its vice-versa. you think evil mask of death honoured by an evil tribe is more dark then saving the princess from some green gingerman (Adamwestslapdog's abridged series) who stole the triforce.
---
"Ok, Jamie, here's your motivation. That oven door has run off with your wife and you decided to kill him for revenge."
~Adam Savage, Mythbusters