This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wind Waker Theories

#11ColebyPosted 9/13/2009 2:59:15 PM
Oh, I just thought of bringing up a random question that wasn't answered in a previous topic:

Hey, Coleby, you forgot something. Before you enter the place where Ganon is (After the Helmaroc King boss fight) you can see an interesting symbol on the shields on either sides of the door. Care to guess what the symbol is?

Though it might not be particularly important, I'd like to know the answer. I don't happen to have the game on hand and I can't conjure the image from memory.

What topic was this from, anyways? I don't remember any of this, actually. :\

Nonetheless, that symbol is the Sheikah emblem of the crying eye. A long time ago, the users here use to speculate that the pirates Tetra's crew competed with were actually the last survivors of the Sheikah Clan who hid in the Forsaken Fortress, though it had a different name back then. Sometime later, those pirates, whoever they could've been, disappeared (or were chased out), and that's when Ganon and his minions took over and renamed it. Sad there isn't any actual history on the subject, though it's quite an interesting one, even if it has nothing to do with the Gorons.

And I don't see why the Gorons couldn't travel to the land of PH themselves. It couldn't have been very far past the borders of the Great Sea, if you ask me. The Ghost Ship easily passes through the boundaries of both worlds, far less complex than that of the transition between Hyrule and Termina.
---
This is a scratch-and-sniff sig. Go ahead, try it!
"Coleby your sig made me break my monitor" ~ kill3r619
#12The_Titan99Posted 9/13/2009 4:33:14 PM
The Ghost Ship travels through the two worlds because it has many magical powers in it. Gorons, really, aren't known for magic. I don't think they could ever go between the two worlds. That's why I think the Gorons in WW are unrelated to the ones in PH.
---
Mother 3 is a great game for many reasons, one being that it makes you care about characters it spends an hour on more than ones other games spend 30 hours on.
#13Otaku42Posted 9/14/2009 12:34:49 PM
There are paintings of volvagia inside dragon roost island. It's death mountain. 'nuff said.
---
Q. What do you get when you put a Kefka fan and a Sephy fan in the same room?
A. Violence.
#14LyricaliasPosted 9/14/2009 12:49:52 PM

There are paintings of volvagia inside dragon roost island. It's death mountain. 'nuff said.

How intriguing... I think I'll stick around this topic, though I'd have little to contribute...

---
http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/Lyric_Induced/gmodgmod.jpg
I love SharkGurl!
#15KingOfHyrule(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2009 2:40:41 PM
Ah drat, I really wish I had the game but I'm in a dorm room and it's back at my parents' house. I vaguely remember seeing paintings of a dragon. Is there any possibility that it's Valoo? I'm guessing if you're able to say with certainty that it's Volvagia in the paintings, it must look a lot more like Volvagia than Valoo.

I wonder though, why would there be paintings depicting Volvagia? Volvagia wreaked utter havoc on the Gorons. It certainly wasn't something that anyone would want to immortalize in artwork.

If you look back in one of those topics with theories about Ocarina of Time (You'll have to follow a little maze of links starting from the one above), I had a theory. In Wind Waker, the Deku Tree is the guardian spirit of the Koroks. Valoo is the guardian spirit of the Rito. Jabun is the guardian spirit of...whatever. Anyway, in Ocarina of Time, the Deku Tree was the guardian of the Kokiri. Jabu Jabu was the guardian of the Zoras. Their counterparts in Wind Waker are obviously the Deku Tree and Jabun. But what about Valoo? Really, the only obvious answer is Volvagia: It's a dragon with a similar name. So getting around to my theory, I had this idea that Volvagia was once the guardian spirit of the Gorons, but lost control and went on a rampage.

In other words, there could simply be paintings of Volvagia because Valoo is sort of a spiritual successor to Volvagia as a guardian spirit. If they worship one, it's not so strange for them to worship the other.

But Fire Mountain seems to be composed of darker rock than the original Death Mountain, so...but that's irrelevant to my theory about Volvagia either way.
---
The king has spoken.
, (^^)
#16The_Titan99Posted 9/14/2009 8:44:53 PM
http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/File:Volvagia.jpg

This is the painting, according to Zeldapedia. That could easily be Volvagia, yes, but, it might not be, The color pallet is all off, for one thing, but it is serpentine, or at least seems to be, so, I don't know...
---
Mother 3 is a great game for many reasons, one being that it makes you care about characters it spends an hour on more than ones other games spend 30 hours on.
#17Otaku42Posted 9/15/2009 1:18:03 PM
There's also a etching/painting by the block you can pull out from the wall. And the door that you can get to by grappling is on a platform with fangs that looks like a dragon.

As to KOH's statement, there are several ways the rock cold have darkened. For example, the original rock could have eroded, revealing the darker, more durable rock underneath. Saltwater could also have an effect.

The Volvagia-Valoo comparison is interesting, though. Aside from a few minor differences, they look very similar (Either way, there's a dragon that looks like something from death mountain living in/on dragon roost island).

---
Q. What do you get when you put a Kefka fan and a Sephy fan in the same room?
A. Violence.
#18KingOfHyrule(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2009 7:01:04 PM
That painting also looks a lot like those serpent heads which were found in Ocarina of Time's Water Temple. And it's blue...Coleby, I think you were the one to bring up a theory that the Zoras were worshipping a serpentine being of their own, something akin to Leviathan, which was being represented by those statues. Could the paintings be depicting something like that?
---
The king has spoken.
, (^^)
#19emilieautumn08Posted 9/16/2009 8:25:59 AM
about map discrepanciens, tectonic plates movement, its the only explanation i cand find or perhaps mayor tsunamis and stuff just moved land away.
#20KingOfHyrule(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2009 7:31:12 PM
I'm beginning to think that water erosion would have had an effect on Dragon Roost Island looking the way it is. This "needle" shape is somewhat common around the Great Sea, you'll find. Any island which is tall enough is subject to the effects of erosion at higher altitudes and the erosion seems to have had little effect at ground level, so I thought that wind erosion was a likely perpetrator. No doubt that for hundreds of years after the flood, wind has been tearing away at these towering behemoths and weathering them down, but I theorize that originally the water level was much higher than it currently is and would have also had a significant effect.

Look at Dragon Roost Island. There are big ledges protruding around the spire which could be ripples created by a water current.

Now, I want to bring the Ghost Ship into this, so I'll quote myself from the Ghost Ship discussion topic:

Ah, the Ghost Ship. The ghost ship is very interesting, very mysterious. There's two things definite about it: one, it was formerly a pirate ship; and two, all of the pirates died. But how did they die? And why does the ship sail endlessly on the seas, always following the same path?

We need to look at all the facts. The ghost ship appears at midnight, at different locations depending on the phase of the moon. It is bound to the Great Sea by a curse, which only he who holds the Ghost Ship Chart can lift.

According to Lenzo, the Ghost Ship Chart was drawn by a sailor, who trailed it to every location. When the chart was finished, the sailor mysteriously died.

The fishmen warn Link not to visit the locations where the Ghost Ship appears, for that very reason. However, if Link visits every location, one after another, he does not meet the same fate. The only thing on the ship that can hurt him are the enemies lurking within. This raises the question: Why does Link not die?

It could be that the sailor died because he dared to draw a chart, detailing the path of the ship. It may also be that Link doesn't die because he is in some way destined to be the one who lifts the curse. Maybe he has an immunity to its deadly effects.

How did the chart come to be hidden on Diamond Steppe Island? Did the sailor put it there? He shouldn't have had time to, before his death. But Diamond Steppe Island is one of the stops on the Ghost Ship's route. Its undead inhabitants may have hid it there themselves.

But why did they choose Diamond Steppe Island over all the others? Presumably, because it is well-guarded; Floor-Masters plague the hidden space beneath, and the use of numerous warp pots is required to navigate the way to the chart. But why is all that there in the first place?