This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Most Influential Video Game in History

#1CKnightPosted 2/27/2009 12:22:55 PM
Guinness World Records Editor-in-Chief, Craig Glenday, said of the selection process: "We knew this would be a complex task so we invited a crack team of industry experts to form a judging panel - and the result is a "top 50" list of games ranked both on their importance and on how fun they are to play."

1. Super Mario Kart
2. Tetris
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. Super Mario World
5. Zelda Ocarina of Time
6. Halo
7. Resident Evil IV
8. Final Fantasy XII
9. Street Fighter II
10. GoldenEye
11. Super Mario 64
12. Tomb Raider
13. Metal Gear Solid
14. Call of Duty 4
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
16. GTA San Andreas
17. Super Mario Bros
18. Zelda: A Link to the Past
19. Gran Turismo
20. Final Fantasy VII
21. Pro Evolution Soccer 4
22. The Orange Box
23. Lego Star Wars Complete Saga
24. Tekken 2
25. Wii Sports
26. Pokemon Red/Blue
27. Guitar Hero
28. Project Gotham Racing 4
29. Super Mario Galaxy
30. Resident Evil
31. Ico
32. Chrono Trigger
33. Gunstar Heroes
34. Soul Calibur
35. Advance Wars
36. Ridge Racer
37. Super Metroid
38. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
39. GTA Vice City
40. BioShock
41. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
42. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
43. God of War
44. Sega Rally Championship
45. Starfox 64
46. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
47. WarioWare Inc
48. Saturn Bomberman
49. Crash Bandicoot
50. Outrun 2

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2009/02/super_mario_kart_most_influential_video_game_in_history.html
#2Lieutenant_SunPosted 2/27/2009 4:56:58 PM
Where is Pong?

Halo would not be here if it wasn't for it.
---
You didn't mention Link once. Looking at your topic, I can't figure out what "your drift" is at all. - CyricZ
****, I was going to say boobs.
#3DaruniaTheGoronPosted 2/27/2009 6:28:53 PM
Wow.. what an awful, awful list. How is Super Mario Kart influential? There's still no racing games like it. In fact most racers have moved to a more and more realistic approach. So how is it influencing anything?

Resident Evil 4 is a really bad choice. First of all, the FIRST Resident Evil should be in its place for its huge influence on survival horror gaming. Secondly, it's way too new as well. We haven't really seen it's influence on anything yet, IF there will be any influence. Thirdly, it certainly didn't do anything new, it just took popular concepts that were already in place in most action games. I'd say it's been way more influenced than influencing.

LEGO Star Wars also hasn't influenced jack ****, besides more LEGO games by the same company.. that's NOT influential.

Project Gotham Racing 4 is a terrible choice as well, if anything it should be PGR 2, which is widely agreed upon as the best game in the series and came out way before PGR4 and did similar things.

Bioshock.. another bad choice. Again, too new, should have picked System Shock, it's predecessor.

Elder Scrolls 4 is bad too. Should have been one of the prior Elder Scroll games. And it should be ahead of KOTOR as well.
---
but during the time bands are unknown, they aren't good. the moment they
are discovered and well known then they become better. - Humpa
#4Lieutenant_SunPosted 2/27/2009 6:46:47 PM
Why are there 2 Zelda game? (or more)
---
You didn't mention Link once. Looking at your topic, I can't figure out what "your drift" is at all. - CyricZ
****, I was going to say boobs.
#5DaruniaTheGoronPosted 2/27/2009 8:55:31 PM
I really don't see a problem with mutliple Zelda picks. Personally I would have included the original Zelda for the NES as well. My argument for that?

NES Zelda: First one, obviously. Also the first game to use the cartridge to save rather than a stupid password system. Probably the most influential adventure game ever.

LttP: Did things bigger and better than the original Zelda. Added many things that the NES Zelda did not have and are now in most adventure games (and future Zeldas). The quintessential 2D adventure game, it was seen as a model for every 2D adventure game afterwards.

Link's Awakening: Redefined what an adventure game could do on a portable console.

OoT: Great transition to 3D. Established many things that are now commonplace in 3D adventure games (targeting; context-sensitive buttons, for example). Pushed the limits of the N64 and showed what it was capable of. Like LttP, it is the model for every 3D adventure game since.
---
#6arogoPosted 2/27/2009 11:39:38 PM
Where's Doom? Or Gears of War? What the hell is Advance Wars doing there? Is it just me or are most of these Japanese?
#7DaruniaTheGoronPosted 2/27/2009 11:43:32 PM
It's you.

And Gears of War doesn't deserve to be there at all. What has it influenced?

Doom should be though.
---
#8Disruptive_01Posted 2/28/2009 8:11:03 AM
Speaking of Doom, where's Marathon?
---
Maybe this world is another planet's hell.
- Aldous Huxley
#9CKnight(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2009 10:48:26 AM
None of those FPS had the impact Halo did, Doom and Marathon are only influential to hardcore gamers.

You notice Goldeneye is 10 below Halo, so I take it the list isnt about who did what first but who did it the best and made the biggest impact.

Im not sure about Mario Kart though, thats a weird choice for number 1.
#10DaruniaTheGoronPosted 2/28/2009 12:43:42 PM

None of those FPS had the impact Halo did, Doom and Marathon are only influential to hardcore gamers.

You notice Goldeneye is 10 below Halo, so I take it the list isnt about who did what first but who did it the best and made the biggest impact.

Im not sure about Mario Kart though, thats a weird choice for number 1.

You didn't grow up in the 90s I guess, you have no idea how huge Doom was. 10 million downloads in the first 2 years of its release, and it's undoubtedly much higher now. Guess what? Halo's never topped that number. Not to mention it was the first huge FPS game and really popularized the genre. I'd actually consider putting Wolfenstein 3D up there ahead of it as well, since it invented the genre as it is today, and was pretty damn popular itself.

Technically, Wolfenstein and Doom made bigger impacts because they've directly influenced the entire FPS genre. There is not a single FPS, including Halo, that doesn't owe credit to those two games.

And as we already established, the list is garbage. Mario Kart didn't make a huge impact at all. Nowhere near as huge as uhh.. SUPER MARIO BROTHERS anyway. Or Pokemon. Pokemon was a huge cultural force in the 90s; Super Mario Kart never was. It was just a fun Kart game to play with your friends, that's it.
---
More topics from this board...
Must not die!brute_strength14011/21 11:27PM